Sponsored

First SUV will be a Bronco. What should I know?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guarantee Oklahoma roads will put that claim to the test.
I can confirm Oklahoma has some of the biggest potholes. Every time I’m in OKC I always wonder why no one drives in the right lane... until I see a half a bronco sized hole every three feet in the right lane lol

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have a garage, or go into parking structures make sure you know the height. Also, train yourself to never swerve to avoid things, especially at higher speeds. Use the brakes and steer gently instead.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my question is, what should I know about owning a vehicle like the new Bronco?
4X4 DOES NOT = invincible.

Sure , there's 14" of snow on the ground and the Bronco takes off like a bat out of hell ....stopping will be a totally different story.

My first time driving in a 4X in a snow storm ended with 17yo me having to ditch it because there was no way I was going to stop in time.

Good news, the ditch full of snow stopped me very, very quickly.

Better news, about 5 seconds after coming to a stop I realized, "Hey, i don't need a tow, I might be able to back right out!" ...... I did. Then I CREPT up to the intersection. LOL

Jeezus, It was a BRAND new dealership vehicle (1988? S10 Blazer) that was being dealer traded..... I was soo afraid I fucked it up, thought I was gonna throw up!!! LOL

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure , there's 14" of snow on the ground and the Bronco takes off like a bat out of hell ....stopping will be a totally different story.
this is the perfect example of why winter tires are a good idea in cold conditions.
they'll do a much better job stopping

Sponsored
OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What about this ride? Its only available over seas.
Not a fan.

Thots or Tots? I do like me some Tots. Those are my thots on tots.
I love tots. Have you ever had Totchos? Those are the bestest.

The biggest piece of advice is to watch videos of how 4wd works. If you have never owned a 4wd, it is important that you know what to do/not do. Even if you plan to buy one with the advanced 4wd system that you can leave in auto, you should a good idea of the differences & when to engage/disengage 4 high, 4 low, 2 high.

Keep this in mind whenever anyone else drives. They should be aware of what not to do. Another difference is the cost of maintenance. The heavier weight and larger components wear faster and are more expensive.

So if you take it to a mechanic, everything will cost more. Oil changes, tire rotations, and suspension stuff. If you do your own own work, you will probably need bigger sizes of the metric tools have,
Great info. This will indeed by my first 4wd vehicle so I do need to research and educate myself on those drive modes. As they're all foreign to me currently. No one else will drive this besides me so good in that regards. And I'll most likely take it to the dealership for most work as space is limited in Brooklyn garages.

If you have a garage, or go into parking structures make sure you know the height. Also, train yourself to never swerve to avoid things, especially at higher speeds. Use the brakes and steer gently instead.
This is a great thing to consider, especially with the Manhattan/Brooklyn parking garages around here. I can foresee that being an issue in some places.

My first time driving in a 4X in a snow storm ended with 17yo me having to ditch it because there was no way I was going to stop in time. Good news, the ditch full of snow stopped me very, very quickly. Better news, about 5 seconds after coming to a stop I realized, "Hey, i don't need a tow, I might be able to back right out!" ...... I did. Then I CREPT up to the intersection. LOL
Yikes! Live and learn. I learned how to drive in Colorado with a FWD vehicle luckily. Learned a proper set of snow tires beat 4x4 all day long but fortunately we don't see MUCH snow here in the city so hopefully won't have to keep a dedicated set of winter wheels. Might be something else I look into down the road depending how much winter wheeling we'll want to attempt.

this is the perfect example of why winter tires are a good idea in cold conditions.
they'll do a much better job stopping
YES! I used to love going over Vail pass in my lowered supercharged cobalt during blizzards while 4x4s were spinning all over the road. Gotta love a great set of snow tires!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Learned a proper set of snow tires beat 4x4 all day long but fortunately we don't see MUCH snow here in the city so hopefully won't have to keep a dedicated set of winter wheels. Might be something else I look into down the road depending how much winter wheeling we'll want to attempt.

YES! I used to love going over Vail pass in my lowered supercharged cobalt during blizzards while 4x4s were spinning all over the road. Gotta love a great set of snow tires!
LOL, We now have two Subarus running dedicated winters. Even the wife gets on on the "Let's punk out the little guys in their big trucks " game...and she is as mild mannered driver you've ever seen.

It may look like a dorky family sedan, but that GT symbol has meaning on this one!
turbo 4 w/ 6spd manual, awd, and dedicated winters...it'll go in snow!

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's the bridge expansion plates, the sunken down manhole covers, the raised man hole covers, the cobblestone roads, the drainage covers in the left lane of highways, the drainage covers on the sides of roads. Brooklyn/NYC has the worst roads I've seen out of all the places I've been to
Unless something has changed, the BQE and FDR drive will be your bronco testing grounds ?.

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Unless something has changed, the BQE and FDR drive will be your bronco testing grounds ?.
Nothing has changed. FDR is still a disaster.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing has changed. FDR is still a disaster.
Haha figures, should've said high speed testing. Think I was able to do 60mph one time before almost killing my car, but was getting passed by taxies like I wasn't moving. My sis still lives on Ave A and 4th st in the apartment my dad grew up so I've been all over there. Used to do gigs at L'Amour in Brooklyn back in the day too, all gone now (along with CBGB down in the Bowery). If you're looking for good spots though there are a lot all around you. Not sure if they let you still use the LI Pine Barrens out towards Manorville, but thats where we used to go in a pinch.

Sponsored

BroncoH

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey all. I've loved cars ever since I was a kid and have modified just about every one I've owned (sunfires, cobalts, gtis) and I also have owned and still own a couple of motorcycles. But I've never owned or really driven a SUV/Truck for longer than a few days my whole life. My wife and I live in Brooklyn and have grown tired of the potholes and just terrible conditions of the roads beating up our tiny GTI (still plan to keep for track days) hence the welcoming of this new Bronco. We love hiking, camping, and just generally being outdoors exploring nature when not at a motorcycle/car track event.

So my question is, what should I know about owning a vehicle like the new Bronco?
This is a good start for you..

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing I've wished people driving big trucks knew was that I'm right next to them in a low car and I'd really prefer they didn't keep trying to merge in to me.
Has it ever occurred to you that you might be merging into them? :LOL:

c2one

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Drive through windows are at the appropriate height!

Also as the tires wear, the hum becomes something like a vacuum going early in the morning, loud and slightly obnoxious but somehow soothing at the same time.

OP
OP
BecauseMotor

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
LOL, We now have two Subarus running dedicated winters. Even the wife gets on on the "Let's punk out the little guys in their big trucks " game...and she is as mild mannered driver you've ever seen. It may look like a dorky family sedan, but that GT symbol has meaning on this one! turbo 4 w/ 6spd manual, awd, and dedicated winters...it'll go in snow!
I'm used to having a winter set of wheels for my cars. Thinking of going with Sasquatch no matter what trim level I get. But been eyeballing those black steel wheels off the Black Diamond to serve as a solid winter wheel setup..!

Haha figures, should've said high speed testing. Think I was able to do 60mph one time before almost killing my car, but was getting passed by taxies like I wasn't moving. My sis still lives on Ave A and 4th st in the apartment my dad grew up so I've been all over there. Used to do gigs at L'Amour in Brooklyn back in the day too, all gone now (along with CBGB down in the Bowery). If you're looking for good spots though there are a lot all around you. Not sure if they let you still use the LI Pine Barrens out towards Manorville, but thats where we used to go in a pinch.
With COVID, the streets have been somewhat empty so it's a bit easier to test your rides out on! But it's now even more dangerous to screw up said vehicle due to higher speeds and same amount of shitty roads.

This is a good start for you..
Meh. Pretty standard info.

Drive through windows are at the appropriate height!
OoOOoOoOooOooOOO. I like this!

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty much what everyone else said. @BecauseMotor you seem like a car guy so shouldn't have a problem adapting.
Sponsored