Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F150, 2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco First test drive thoughts. A09C0021-90F8-42B6-9F5B-970508F349CB

I saw my first Bronco last week and today I took one for a test drive with the family.

A two door SAS Big Bend with the 2.3l. I know there has been a lot of discussion about the two engine choices so that is what I am going to discuss first.

A little background, we currently have a ‘17 Explorer with the 2.3 Eco and a ‘14 F150 with the 3.5 Eco. I really like both engines and haven’t had any issues with either of them. Additionally, I have several friends that went from F150’s with the 3.5 and also the 5.0 to the 2.7, they all love the 2.7. They have zero complaints and they actually like the 2.7 better than their previous engines. I have ridden in a 2.7 F150 and have been impressed with the 2.7, but I haven’t driven one.

Ok to the test drive, first off I didn’t “put it in the ketchup” as the Bronco only had 50 miles on it and I didn’t want to abuse it before the break in period.

I was surprised at how much stronger the 2.3 in the Bronco felt than our Explorer. I am sure it has a lot to do with gearing. It will be plenty engine especially for the 2 door. With the manual it would be a lot of fun! If the 2.3 was the only engine option it would be a fine choice, but I am still going with the 2.7.

Sure a 5.0 exhaust note would be outstanding (I also drive a loud Mustang so I appreciate a good sounding exhaust), but I think the two engine options are great choices for this vehicle.

I was surprised at how well the 2 door with the SAS handled. The turning radius is tight, it soaks up bumps with very little rear axle hop and tracks down the road really nicely. Despite having the aggressive tires there is really no road/tire noise...if there is any the wind noise covers it up (it measured 65/66 decibels at 60 mph). My truck is on 34’s Nitto Ridge Grapplers, which are quiet in their own right, but I felt the Bronco’s tires were quieter. It would be an easy daily driver and didn’t feel like I was driving around an off-road vehicle with 35’s.

It had a roof rack and it was still fairly easy to get the top two panels off. And I am sure it would get easier as you get used to it.

The interior was nice and for the basic level Big Bend trim. The cloth seats were comfortable and controls were intuitive. I am 6-3 and 3 bills and with wide shoulders. I have been concerned about my comfort level and I was pleasantly surprised. I felt there was plenty of leg and head room. A touch more shoulder/elbow room would have been nice, but as I mentioned that is more of a “me problem”.

My wife said (without me prompting her), “this stereo isn’t bad”. I thought it was missing some bass, but after messing with the settings and turning the bass up it was better. Nothing remarkable, but I think for the average driver it will be sufficient. In another Bronco I heard (just in the parking lot) the B&O system and it was considerably better. I love music and usually I like it loud, but my installing aftermarket car stereo days are behind me and the B&O will be just fine. I am sure the audiophiles will want more.

The wind noise is there, but as my wife said, “If you buy a vehicle that the top and doors come off, you are going to have to deal with a little of that.” We just got back from a 4,000 mile road trip in the Explorer with filled cargo basket on the roof and I would say the wind noise is comparable to that.

After driving one I am excited to get mine, but sad I probably won’t be getting it for while...probably...with my luck....in the dead of midwestern winter. However, I now know without a doubt it is gonna be worth the wait! It is gonna be something my family will enjoy for years to come!
Sponsored

Last edited: