First Time Truck Shopper - Visibility

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
So I currently drive a 2022 Forester. It has been great, but I've recently been looking a lot into the Tacoma and 4Runner. This morning on the way to work I stopped at the Toyota dealership and sat in a 2024 Tacoma. The thing that most stood out to me was how bad the visibility was compared to my Forester. I know a truck won't be as good as a compact crossover SUV, but I was surprised by how big the difference was. Specifically with the front and rear glass. The front windshield was shockingly narrow.

Anyway, I thought I would get thoughts from others here. Has anyone made a jump like I'm considering? Is this something I would get used to pretty quick? I know I will have the 360 cam for parking lots, but on the road is a concern too.
Sponsored

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I have a 2024 Sport. I also drive a full-size RAM at work. The work truck has better visibility than my Tacoma with it's hood scoop and raised areas on the hood. Just have to get used to it. I traded in a compact car for the truck, so it is a big difference.

wutheck

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I came from a Subaru Outback and yes the interior of the Tacoma feels tiny in comparison. But I got used to it really quick and I don't regret my decision to jump out of a Subaru. Well, maybe except for the back seat room for my kids.

26wx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I have a 2022 Forester as well. Just know that you're coming from a car that has probably the *best* visibility out there, so anything you sit in, that lack of visibility will be magnified quite a bit.

OP
OP

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2022 Forester as well. Just know that you're coming from a car that has probably the *best* visibility out there, so anything you sit in, that lack of visibility will be magnified quite a bit.
LOL! Yep. That was huge plus for me when I got the vehicle.

Honestly it is making me wonder why the hood has to be so tall. Is there a mechanical motivating factor driving this in the truck industry or is really marketing aesthetics?

Overlander

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
....I know a truck won't be as good as a compact crossover SUV...
Not necessarily. Historically, trucks have tended towards great visibility (except close range in front) as long as you don't put a camper or shell in the bed. That's been my own experience as a owner and also in test drives.

The higher 'beltline' on newer vehicles of all kinds, the tendency to raise the hood especially on trucks, and the smaller rear side windows on many cars and SUVs has changed visibility for a lot of vehicles. So, it comes down to a case-by-case evaluation. The Ford Transit Connect minivan I have has far better visibility than nearly all other minivans, SUVs, and crossovers.

Last year, planning to downsize my four wheeling thanks to health issues, I definitely had my eyes on the Subaru Forester Wilderness. It has excellent dirt road and snow capability plus unparalleled visibility among current cars/SUVs/crossovers. I'm now debating the Tacoma vs. the Bronco instead thanks to an improved long-term health outlook.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback
Agree on everyone I have a 2012 STi and a 2021 Outback and Subaru does amazing with FoV. I definitely noticed a lot of blind spots in the truck and was pretty surprised by it. It's not awful though.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
LOL! Yep. That was huge plus for me when I got the vehicle.

Honestly it is making me wonder why the hood has to be so tall. Is there a mechanical motivating factor driving this in the truck industry or is really marketing aesthetics?
It’s prob a mix of both mechanics and aesthetics. Squared off boxy designs have been gaining popularity in the US for a while. Especially in trucks. People wanna be #tough I guess? Plus raising the bed rails sort of raises the whole design up too. The real losers in this are pedestrians who get hit by vehicles with this form factor. On more raked noses they’d just roll onto the hood and break fewer bones. now …. Eh I won’t get graphic but it’s not great unfortunately

if it helps I currently drive a small Volvo wagon that’s close to a decade old. It’s basically a Corolla with a sightly longer hatch so the front glass is small and the blind spots are surprisingly big for what it is. Maybe I’m used to trucks from when I drove 20’ box trucks for work but I feel like I adjust to the sight lines pretty easily whenever I get into a midsize or full size. The backup camera makes parking so easy.

I will say for all fords failings its pretty damn easy to see out of an f150 because of that little scoop in the front glass for the side mirrors. Nissan does that too.

front visibility is the biggest failing for me too. Makes me miss my old 90s wagon with a hood ornament. That thing was an absolute boat, and close to the length of a short bed taco l think lol but I always knew where its nose was.

you might want to check out something like the wolfbox dash/digital rear view camera. Might help. If you’re really worried about front visibility I say spring for a trim with the multi view monitor or trail camera system depending on the trim so you get the 360 camera. Everyone I know with a newer truck who doesn’t have that wishes they did. Unfortunately the low easy to see hoods of like the old rangers for example are long gone.

also I suspect you can use one of those obd things like Carista to mess with the speed at which the 360 camera turns on and off. Just a guess. But that might be an easy and relatively cheap solve for you.

edit: I just saw you mentioned you’d be getting the 360 camera. Whoops! But yeah deff see if you can tweak settings on it. Might help!

Last edited:

Clervis

First Name
Clervis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geo Metro
Was gonna say the same.

OP
OP

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not necessarily. Historically, trucks have tended towards great visibility (except close range in front) as long as you don't put a camper or shell in the bed. That's been my own experience as a owner and also in test drives.

The higher 'beltline' on newer vehicles of all kinds, the tendency to raise the hood especially on trucks, and the smaller rear side windows on many cars and SUVs has changed visibility for a lot of vehicles. So, it comes down to a case-by-case evaluation. The Ford Transit Connect minivan I have has far better visibility than nearly all other minivans, SUVs, and crossovers.

Last year, planning to downsize my four wheeling thanks to health issues, I definitely had my eyes on the Subaru Forester Wilderness. It has excellent dirt road and snow capability plus unparalleled visibility among current cars/SUVs/crossovers. I'm now debating the Tacoma vs. the Bronco instead thanks to an improved long-term health outlook.
Congrats on your health improving!!

I had a 2002 Xterra several years back and that was so much fun to drive. So high up with such a small footprint. Easiest car I've ever owned to park. That includes a prius.

It is crazy to me how much that seems to have changed.

Plumbers 1st Taco

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 double cab
Wife has a 2024 Outback Wilderness and had a Impreza and Forester before that. Visibility much better in the Subarus. She likes the taco and has no problems transitioning. My previous daily driver was a mint 2005 Ranger with only 89,000 miles before a kid in a stolen Kia T-Boned me and it was totaled.

Overlander

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Congrats on your health improving!!

I had a 2002 Xterra several years back and that was so much fun to drive. So high up with such a small footprint. Easiest car I've ever owned to park. That includes a prius.

It is crazy to me how much that seems to have changed.
Thanks! That small footprint combined with great offroad capability is what has me looking at the Bronco.

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I’ve driven 50 ft flat nose buses, full size trucks, old semis…it’s all about knowing where the wheels are, your turn radius. My 5.9L Ram has a huge front end. Gotta drive carefully.

the cybertruck has a dash as long as a football field. Talk about a weird ass FOV…
Sponsored