skater777

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice! Post more photos of that Velocity Blue Badlands!
Sponsored

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
put a set of Firestone riderite air bags on the bronco. get rid of the sag. I'll be pulling my Polaris SXS around as well. My Polaris cost as much as a base bronco lol. A/C heat, power windows....etc.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You could just get a weight distribution hitch with sway control built into it. That would level it out, put weight back on the front wheels and some back on the trailer wheels. It’s night and day for a rig without a suspension set up for towing.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m curious what your water temp was. I’m guessing the 2.7EB in that package isn’t taxed much. The EB’s will pull like no other but low RPM’s and lots of load (boost) will build heat in the turbos.

My 2nd gen 3.5EB would have the power to accelerate up an 8% grade pulling a 9000lb travel trailer, the problem is it couldn’t get rid of the heat fast enough. I never had it go into power reduction mode (252 water temp I believe) but I did see it hit 245 a couple times and would regularly pull grades (when towing) at 235-240.

People like to say it’s an intercooler issue but ambient vs. intake temps never varied much than a delta of 10 degrees.
The heavy-duty payload package on the F-150 dumps the heat very effectively, but has significantly more cooling capacity. It makes a huge difference in towing heavy.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up and awesome pics. I have towed our Sea Doos and utility trailer several times, but not many hills here in MI. I found it 100% good at roughly 2k lbs and wouldn’t hesitate to run up to the max. I agree that the limit on capacity is the rear suspension. I just love the ride and capabilities too much to want to change it, even if I could 🤫

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The heavy-duty payload package on the F-150 dumps the heat very effectively, but has significantly more cooling capacity. It makes a huge difference in towing heavy.
With the 6-speeds, yes. All the 10-speeds, 3.5EB’s come with the larger radiator factory so all you get with the heavy payload are the tow mirrors, lower rear end gears, big fuel tank and the trailer items (back-up pro and brake controller). The 6-speeds came with a bigger radiator and an remote transmission cooler. My old F150 was optioned with all that stuff, save the tow mirrors and the door sticker for the payload.

The largest issue with the 10-speed is that is WANTS to run the highest gear possible, even in tow haul. Top 3 gears are OD gears. I found I rarely had an issue with “runaway” temps if I locked out 8-9-10 and just ran in 7th. If I missed the momentum coming into a hill, I may had to run down in 5th. The key was to keep the RPM’s between about 3200 and 4200. That gave enough power on the steep grades, kept the motor in the right torque/hp range and kept the water pump moving.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With the 6-speeds, yes. All the 10-speeds, 3.5EB’s come with the larger radiator factory so all you get with the heavy payload are the tow mirrors, lower rear end gears, big fuel tank and the trailer items (back-up pro and brake controller). The 6-speeds came with a bigger radiator and an remote transmission cooler. My old F150 was optioned with all that stuff, save the tow mirrors and the door sticker for the payload.

The largest issue with the 10-speed is that is WANTS to run the highest gear possible, even in tow haul. Top 3 gears are OD gears. I found I rarely had an issue with “runaway” temps if I locked out 8-9-10 and just ran in 7th. If I missed the momentum coming into a hill, I may had to run down in 5th. The key was to keep the RPM’s between about 3200 and 4200. That gave enough power on the steep grades, kept the motor in the right torque/hp range and kept the water pump moving.
Sounds spot on, ya, I have the 6 speed, but keeping the RPM between 3200 and 4200 is still the ticket to keeping everything in the green as far as best performance and mileage.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
...had some pretty good climbs to get to our riding spot. In the past, the steepest and longest climb had the Suburban in 2nd gear doing 40 to 45 mph.
Interesting. Is that at a moderately high elevation? I have a Sierra 5.3L, and though I assume it to be a fair bit lighter than the Suburban, it tows my RZR 4S like a boss.

Ford Bronco First Tow (of RZR) with the Bronco - Loving the 2.7! 51345137507_ac55bd615c_c

You need a new wife. Your current one is defective. ;)
It was actually my wife's idea to get our RZR. I like it, but she really likes it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depending on where you tow, you can easily encounter grades that will leave your half ton huffing and puffing. Add elevation and it compounds the issue.

The turbo helps negate the elevation issue, and with 400+ lb-ft of torque I bet it pulls real well. Better than a normally aspirated V8.

Nice writeup and a fine looking tow vehicle.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you need that thing on the trailer? You have a Bronco!
Haha. Different animal. I hear people complaining about little paint chips on their roll bar. I cant imagine how happy they would be doing this in their Bronco. In the RZR, its no big deal.

Ford Bronco First Tow (of RZR) with the Bronco - Loving the 2.7! IMG_0126

Awesome that your rig tows your RZR to your liking. My little 4 cylinder can hardly move itself.

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition, 2008 Explorer, 2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have to start out by saying that someone who owns diesel trucks will have a different perspective than I have. To them, the Bronco 2.7 will probably be way under-powered. However, my background in towing has mainly been with the Dodge Durango with the 5.2 and the Chevy Suburban with the 5.3 (with 3.42 gears) . I have towed snowmobiles, ATVs, SxS and camper trailers. They have towed alright but once we start climbing, they struggle.

Enter the 2.7 Bronco! Like I told my wife, this is a whole new world! We took the RZR (weighs about 2,800 lbs.) out on Monday and had some pretty good climbs to get to our riding spot. In the past, the steepest and longest climb had the Suburban in 2nd gear doing 40 to 45 mph. I was expecting the Bronco to do better but it really surprised me. On the same hill, the Bronco was cruising at 55 mph at about 1/2 throttle. RPMs were about 2,800. Engine didn't feel like it was being pushed at all. Stepped on the throttle a bit and started to accelerate! I had perma-grin. This power combo has exceeded my expectations. This little engine may not be very quick off the line but it has lots of torque. I am loving the 2.7!!! I just hope it proves to be durable and reliable.

BroncoTowing.jpg

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition, 2008 Explorer, 2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have been meaning weight my boat and take some pics and create a similar post. Hoping to make it happen this weekend. I have been towing my 21' Center Console back and forth to the boat ramps on the interstate. I am not sure what it weighs, but I am confident it is at or above the maximum capacity for the Bronco. Long story short, it handles great. I hardly know it's back there. Feels just as solid as my Expedition does towing the boat. As soon as I get the boat/trailer weighed and get some pics...

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have to start out by saying that someone who owns diesel trucks will have a different perspective than I have. To them, the Bronco 2.7 will probably be way under-powered. However, my background in towing has mainly been with the Dodge Durango with the 5.2 and the Chevy Suburban with the 5.3 (with 3.42 gears) . I have towed snowmobiles, ATVs, SxS and camper trailers. They have towed alright but once we start climbing, they struggle.

Enter the 2.7 Bronco! Like I told my wife, this is a whole new world! We took the RZR (weighs about 2,800 lbs.) out on Monday and had some pretty good climbs to get to our riding spot. In the past, the steepest and longest climb had the Suburban in 2nd gear doing 40 to 45 mph. I was expecting the Bronco to do better but it really surprised me. On the same hill, the Bronco was cruising at 55 mph at about 1/2 throttle. RPMs were about 2,800. Engine didn't feel like it was being pushed at all. Stepped on the throttle a bit and started to accelerate! I had perma-grin. This power combo has exceeded my expectations. This little engine may not be very quick off the line but it has lots of torque. I am loving the 2.7!!! I just hope it proves to be durable and reliable.

Ford Bronco First Tow (of RZR) with the Bronco - Loving the 2.7! IMG_0126
BTW, Sledboy, i really appreciate the real world towing report, and I'm glad I ordered that 2.7, which I also have in my F150. Looking more closely at your photo, you have an excellent car-trailer combo and the squat isnt too bad, and your adjustable height hitch lets you level the trailer very nicely. And a dual axle trailer would be overkill and take away from payload with a 3500# max anyway. Looks like great fun, hopefully mine will be released from Purgatory soon! Blessings!
Sponsored