zer0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a JL and a Gladiator on the exact same obstacle from a few days ago.
This angle does a much better job showing the rocks.

There are multiple different lines to climb this from mild to wild.
This is one of those little climbs that you either just walk up it without an issue, or you have a bit of trouble and just need to back up and reposition, or give it some right foot :D

Sponsored

JetRanger

Badlands
First Name
Gwagonman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 G-63
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a JL and a Gladiator on the exact same obstacle from a few days ago.
This angle does a much better job showing the rocks.

There are multiple different lines to climb this from mild to wild.
This is one of those little climbs that you either just walk up it without an issue, or you have a bit of trouble and just need to back up and reposition, or give it some right foot :D

I would love to see a video of an A/B drive test involving such obstacles (ideally on the Ribicon Trail) between a Bronco equipped with the 2.7 and 10-spd auto vs/ the 2.3 with the 7 spd manual, in Crawler 1st gear low, with its awesome
95:1 final ratio.

I’m guessing the latter would ‘win?’

zer0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love to see a video of an A/B drive test involving such obstacles (ideally on the Ribicon Trail) between a Bronco equipped with the 2.7 and 10-spd auto vs/ the 2.3 with the 7 spd manual, in Crawler 1st gear low, with its awesome
95:1 final ratio.

I’m guessing the latter would ‘win?’
You can certainly do hard rockcrawling with a manual, but I'd take an auto all day.

It's not just about final crawl ratio, but also about control, and with an auto I can just move an inch and stop, then move another inch and stop, and do it all without ever rolling back even a tiny bit.

With a manual you have to have really good clutch control, and it gets tiring if you've been doing it for hours.
Then when your final drive ratio gets really low you start to have issue with it driving through the brakes no matter how hard you are pushing that pedal

Sponsored

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To me the fact that they’re even trying to do the rubicon is all I need to see. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the wrangler will be better in the rocks just due to the SFA. But If Bronco can at least keep up that’s all I need to see.

The rubicon is probably a harder trail than 95% of Bronco owners will ever attempt.
I personally don't think the IFS had anything to do with the videos shown. All 4 tires were on the rocks. They just had no grip.

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool to see them out getting tested!

For me though, any trail I can walk through faster than drive is a pass.

Too much of the country I still haven't seen to spend all day driving 1 mile.

But to each his own and I am sure glad that people like to rock crawl because it gives me lots to watch on YouTube when I am bored.
Right there with ya buddy! I like to do trails also but when you see a few dozen people just walking the trails to watch I'd rather walk them faster than drive. That's why I'm more inclined to do overlanding or something that requires at least some speed.

At the same time I kinda get it. It's like playing a game and you have to overcome obstacles to get to the next level. So there is some achievement to it.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The badlands with sasquatch looks to be articulating very well in this video. Better than I expected. The only reason they couldn't get up this obstacle was the rocks being dusty and the tires not getting any grip. It clearly had enough power and articulation to climb this. They should have used a broom to sweep the rocks!

zer0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Driving through the brakes is an issue with automatics that are geared really low, not manuals.
I've had it worse in a manual when I'm trying to avoid clutching in.

I've always managed to get my brakes set up stronger than the auto can push through.

Probably could of fixed with more fine tuning on the manuals then, or just better driving :D

Sponsored

BigLig

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m kind of feeling like this turned into a “if ya ain’t rock crawl’n yer mall crawl’n” tone... but seriously I see it like this...

What that video showed us was honesty. It didn’t make it up in those clips. I’m not mad because I can’t make it up those rocks either. I’ve never tried tho. At least they did. I have no reason to doubt that they did make it tho. What these clips did tell me was this... the platform works. It may take a bit of the aftermarket to finish any personal build, but I’d bet the expense is going to be marginal compared to an off the lot anything else.

So, build your dream... be it to concur the Rubicon or Moab, Dunes or HoM, or even the MoA... it’s a Bronco and we all win because it’s back baby!!

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll admit, I haven't been on the Rubicon trial. But according to this episode of Dirt Everyday, they took old stock vehicles on the trail and made it. They did have to winch out, mind you, but if old stock trucks can do it with old technology and not the best setups, surely this Bronco with all the electronic doodads could make it. I say it's all driver error and bad setup/lines.
Good point. I've seen videos with stock Jeeps going on trails right behind the Rubicons. The big difference was the stock Jeeps had a tougher time in spots, but they still did it. The drivers definitely had something to do with it, but I was still impressed.

zer0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m kind of feeling like this turned into a “if ya ain’t rock crawl’n yer mall crawl’n” tone... but seriously I see it like this...

What that video showed us was honesty. It didn’t make it up in those clips. I’m not mad because I can’t make it up those rocks either. I’ve never tried tho. At least they did. I have no reason to doubt that they did make it tho. What these clips did tell me was this... the platform works. It may take a bit of the aftermarket to finish any personal build, but I’d bet the expense is going to be marginal compared to an off the lot anything else.

So, build your dream... be it to concur the Rubicon or Moab, Dunes or HoM, or even the MoA... it’s a Bronco and we all win because it’s back baby!!
100% agreed.

I've seen old timers in willys with maybe 40hp and 29" ladder treads conquer the Rubicon :D

I'm sure that with a well set up Bronco you'll be able to drive 95% of the trails you like.
Then for the other 5% you take a purpose built crawler

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not exactly. A manual is cheaper, lighter, and simpler. Many people such as myself simply prefer driving manuals and the engagement and control they provide. Every vehicle I own (7 total) is a manual.
I've had 8 manuals. 7 being sports cars and 1 being a FJ40 Land Cruiser. I can race around all damn day but I kinda suck with 4x4's and manuals. Haha
Sponsored