Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did the Bronco make it pass those boulders?
Video 2 in the first post @ 1:01 shows limited flex of IFS and the need for a SFA. Left front is in air allowing the vehicle to slide off the boulder? or is it resting barely on the rock?
Sponsored

Last edited:

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would have really liked to see the Jeep on this same obstacle for a fair comparison, but the lines the driver was trying weren't the issue and the tires weren't the issue. The thing is on 35" M/Ts. That is what all the hardcore guys (who weren't building full custom buggies) used to run before JKs showed up on the scene.

Look at some of the earlier pictures, and you can see the tires are aired down pretty far, so that isn't the issue here either. It looks like the Broncos had to struggle pretty hard to get through the trail.

Also, the stock 35" tires are rubbing. That is unacceptable in my mind for a ~$50K vehicle as delivered from the factory. It seems Ford was too anxious to one-up Jeep and didn't fully test the 35" tires before making them available.
....but nothing is available yet. This is literally the testing that you're talking about.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You can get vinyl with leather trim on BL though...
Correct, with no ventilation holes. Please come to Texas and try that in our heat and humidity, instant swamp rash. I may have to spend $2,000 on aftermaket seat covers. Anyone want to buy my Badlands factory original seat covers for $1,000?

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having never done anything like this, how would you have tackled that obstacle? I'm sure this stretch has a name but without knowing it, I couldn't search for it on Youtube. Any videos you might have?
Its impossible to know from the angle we were viewing from.

Sponsored

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here's my question for all you crawling experts.. because I never have, nor will I ever enter a trail like this. Just not my thing. But I digress..

I assume this section of the trail (shown in video), would most likely have been possible had the Bronco:
1. ran with 'true' 35" Mud Terrains (not this cheesy Goodyear wanna be tires)
2. had the tires 'aired down'
3. had a more experienced driver? (Assuming guy at the wheel not 'as' experienced)

And obviously this wouldn't be used or was taken as a promotional video. Because all you guys who said the Bronco doesn't need to tow because it's competing against a Jeep that doesn't tow... well would the Jeep make that pass? Cuz if the answer is yes... well... give me my towing capability because you just lost your argument :mad: Oh and while I'm at it, I'll take a V8 with a nice exhaust too ? thanks.
I actually think that if the driver had just stayed on the throttle at the very beginning, with light, steady throttle, let the tires "clean off" the dust on the rocks, heat the tires up a little to get soft and sticky, then it mayhave crawled right up.

So same tires, same pressure, and same driver maybe could have done it. Just need more throttle.

I just would have liked to see a few more good attempts.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dang, that was exciting to watch! I can see why all you guys, and gals, go on about off-roading!
Tony, I just do the easy stuff in my Jeep as I am a newbie to off roading. My Jeep, and I expect the Bronco will also, has more capability out of the box than I will ever have. But, damn it is some fun. And, you get to see some of the experts ply there trade on the tough stuff. So, when you get your new Bronco, find an easy trail, and get out there. Old logging roads, and power line roads are great to play on. You will love it I assure you. The only negative is the clean up afterwards. :)

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I actually think that if the driver had just stayed on the throttle at the very beginning, with light, steady throttle, let the tires "clean off" the dust on the rocks, heat the tires up a little to get soft and sticky, then it mayhave crawled right up.

So same tires, same pressure, and same driver maybe could have done it. Just need more throttle.

I just would have liked to see a few more good attempts.
Yeah it definitely looked like he was taking the, "Caution is the Better Part of Valor" approach (also known as the "I have to drive this home" approach).

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I say it's all driver error and bad setup/lines.

Well, winching is cheating in a way, because you can take anything through anything with enough winches and snatch blocks.

But I agree, that video of that Bronco not getting up that section did not tell me much about what it can or cant do. Tire pressure, line and driver experience can change A LOT.

zer0

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its impossible to know from the angle we were viewing from.
The red square indicates the exact spot they are trying to drive up :D
Lots of people have to take a few goes at it because when you go up you get double bumped.

Ford Bronco First Videos of 2021 Ford Bronco on Rubicon Trail (+ More Pics) 1596653338987

Sponsored

OBXdreamin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Alright that settles it.
Hey @Ford , come on out to Windrock TN. Ill meet you there and together we’ll give them the best show a 4x4 noob can give them. Might even fall off a mountain or two - the viral marketing will be epic.
Lets make it happen ??

OBXdreamin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah it definitely looked like he was taking the, "Caution is the Better Part of Valor" approach (also known as the "I have to drive this home" approach).
“whatever you do, DO NOT end up on video breaking this thing!”

GiddyUp

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Tony, I just do the easy stuff in my Jeep as I am a newbie to off roading. My Jeep, and I expect the Bronco will also, has more capability out of the box than I will ever have. But, damn it is some fun. And, you get to see some of the experts ply there trade on the tough stuff. So, when you get your new Bronco, find an easy trail, and get out there. Old logging roads, and power line roads are great to play on. You will love it I assure you. The only negative is the clean up afterwards. :)
I believe I will and plan to do what you suggested and looking forward to this new-to-me hobby. Funny in that the Bronco looks better in dirty than clean ? Thank you for the suggestions! Cheers

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looks sweet wish we had some video of the bronco getting over some obstacles though. I probably wont be doing much of anything like this though. I plan on going spinning tires, getting muddy, going fast uphills, then slow and scary going down em.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Alright that settles it.
Hey @Ford , come on out to Windrock TN. Ill meet you there and together we’ll give them the best show a 4x4 noob can give them. Might even fall off a mountain or two - the viral marketing will be epic.
Lets make it happen ??
I hear you buddy, that's where we've been taking our Land Cruisers for years. Thats my LC at Windrock in my profile pic. Its GNARLY! Take dry, dusty Moab, add mud and you get Windrock.

Body damage? Ha! If you make it through the black diamond or double black diamond trails without rolling over, that's a success.
Sponsored