Sponsored

First Wash - Are you Taking your Spare off?

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
First wash today to get any rail dust off of it. My salesman at the dealer didn't have the minimum pay guys wash it which I appreciated. It rained a few times since I picked it up but finally had some time to hand wash it.

The lug nuts are 19mm if anyone is wondering. I pulled the spare tire off and set it on the ground. It's quite heavy so I'm curious if others are pulling it off when they wash their bronco. There was a lot of dirt behind it so I felt it was worth the effort. For many, it might take two people to put it back up. I was able to get my fingers into the gaps in the wheel and kinda curl it into position. Getting it just right for the lugs was more challenging than I expected. I wonder if someone could make a small hub-centric bushing that would make it easier to slide the wheel into position. There is a lot of slop there that requires you to static hold the wheel tire to really get it on the lugs. Again, I could do it, but I'm not sure everyone could.

INEkuRul.jpg

U4r6l5Fl.jpg
Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I pulled it when I was graphene coating the car but no way is it coming off for maintenence washes. You can reach back there good enough for day to day needs.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My spare with wheel weighs about 80lbs now give or take so I doubt I remove that much when she gets a bath. Was a pain enough to take it off and put the reinforcement brackets on.

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Maybe I’m missing something- why would you take it off to wash it? Just wash normally and then open the tailgate to wash from the sides (with a damp cloth)

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to take mine off when I got a rock poking through a tire, it's not fun, very heavy and just no way to get a good grip on it to put it back on. I will take it off for the first full wash/detailing/graphene coating, but then it'll stay on unless I have an other flat. There's no mud where I'm going, I think dust and pine needles will blow out and wash out easy with the hose or power washer. It would have to be really dirty behind it for me to take it off for just a wash.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mike8675309

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I’m missing something- why would you take it off to wash it? Just wash normally and then open the tailgate to wash from the sides (with a damp cloth)
I live in Minnesota, so for me, I feel I need to wash everything. Maybe not in the summer, but definitely in the winter. Behind the tire is a painted surface, plastic, and rubber. With the 34.5" tires on there, I don't have room to get my had back there.

Maybe something like this would make it easier to clean off the road grime behind the spare.
813UVXrXuoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

FormerJeepJunkie

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I live in Minnesota, so for me, I feel I need to wash everything. Maybe not in the summer, but definitely in the winter. Behind the tire is a painted surface, plastic, and rubber. With the 34.5" tires on there, I don't have room to get my had back there.

Maybe something like this would make it easier to clean off the road grime behind the spare.
813UVXrXuoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ah- that. And yes, I lived in Kansas and understand. I found the ability to stick a sprayer back there is needed every month or so. The drive through just doesn’t cut it.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the first time to put the graphene behind it. Then again for the brake light ring. I just use a small ratchet strap in the garage to hang it. I just open the door, throw the strap over the rafter and though the rim, couple cranks, shut door and tire is hanging. Then just open the door and put it back on.

Last edited:

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ford Bronco First Wash - Are you Taking your Spare off? 813UVXrXuoL._AC_SL1500_
If you're gonna use something like that get some wheel woolies instead. Much softer.

Those nylon bristles scratch the shit out of anything they touch.

abn-7819-3.jpg

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on how dirty the truck is. If it's not really bad I may just use microfiber/quick detailing spray. Similar to how I clean the door jambs, and truck opening on my Mustang after washing.

If it's really dingy then yes I will be removing it.

Sponsored

MallSquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak 2022
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Trying not to hijack the thread…but do y’all use tire polisher when cleaning your truck?

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

too fn lazy. i dont know if id take it off to wax lol.

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do and I use this - https://www.chemicalguys.com/natural-shine-dressing/natural-shine-dressing.html?gtmListValue=Internal Search

It's not a "snot" dressing, it goes on shiny but after it dries it just makes the tires look new. And it's great for textured trim so for the Bronco fenders, possibly the roof it's a great product. As all CGuys products are.
heard good things about them, would that be good for the plastic interior too? i saw they have other things too for interior..

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

heard good things about them, would that be good for the plastic interior too? i saw they have other things too for interior..
I've got nothing but good things to say about Chemical Guys, I've never used something from that I've been disappointed with.

And yes anything plastic will do fine with this or the VRP, VRP has a little more shine to it. But both the VRP, and Natural Shine have UV blockers which will not only shine but protect those plastic pieces.

I don't have my Bronco yet but for my Mustangs black plastic interior/exterior/engine bay pieces I use Green Clean ( https://www.chemicalguys.com/allclean-degreaser/allclean-degreaser.html ) first. And the either Natural Shine or VRP depending on how much gloss I want after application.

Personally I prefer VRP for the interior and the Natural Shine on my tires/trim/engine bay. The sheen of the VRP matches well with leather that has been properly cleaned and conditioned.
Sponsored