Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I felt compelled to check in and give a quick report, after getting my Big Bend 4 door, soft top, 2.3 with manual 7 speed. It's great! This from dawn on the first morning, I took it out pre-dawn for a drive too!

The fog lights really light up the very close range between the bumper and the low beam pattern. They turn off when on high beams. Also was surprised it was sensing cars ahead and would automatically go to low beams, quite accurately. After a few minutes of not being sure I liked it, I realized it made my life easier, lots less work flipping the lever like in the old days. Both high and low were very white light, and gave excellent visibility on a very dark, curvy road.

I put on the Go Rhino D6 side steps/running boards. Nice and easy to get in now. QUITE slow to install them, lots of crazy things you have to hold onto while threading bolts. Took 3 of us about 2.5 hours....should have taken about 1 hour. Lots of cursing.

Power seems much more quick in Sport mode than Normal mode. The steering tightened up too, I could feel both, easily. The Sport mode is very quick, and the tires even broke loose a little pulling away from a stop sign. Normal mode seems a good mix between power and break-in controllability. I'm still on the first gas tank, will get close to 400 miles on the tank it appears. AND I'm getting an average of 22.3 MPG on city and off road. Just like I expected - it's fine mileage if you don't drive with a lead foot.

The 7 speed shifter was notchy the first 50 miles, then smoothed up to be like butter. Clutch very light. The crawler in 2High wasn't that slow really. In 4H more so, in 4Low very slow.

Took it 4wheeling that weekend. Mostly just pushed the 4H and 4L and locking Differential buttons. Didn't mess with the GOAT modes much....not needed. On somewhat rough dirt roads, I kept it in 2nd in 4H mostly. Then for some steep stuff, put in 4L and had to shift a lot more, between 1st and 3rd.

The truck is very intuitive and easy to figure out. Lots of popups that tell you "come to a complete stop" and such if you are shifting into different 4WD modes. The radio (stock one) is great, very loud and clear. The wind noise is barely noticeable. Visibility great. Lowering the top, easy. Basically all the moaning and complaint projections on this forum are wrong. To me. It's a fine vehicle and very impressive to drive around in, or off road.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review of the manual. Although I doubt my Badlands manual will get quite 22 MGP, it's encouraging.

I was kind of curious how "Sport" mode works on a manual though. You're in control of the RPMs of the engine, and the shift points. What is the computer doing here (aside from the steering adjustment)?

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I read what factors are adjusted somewhere in Fords literature. Look around and you should find it, it's about 11 different things. In manuals, less, but still I think throttle response is one. It feels like it. Funny I was in Normal yesterday and driving up a hill at low speed, about 25 MPH, and switched to Eco. It's like I was suddenly driving under water - lost lost of power. Again....not sure what contributes to it, could be fuel injection, air flow, exhaust, timing advance....not sure. But I can feel it easily, even in a manual.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You say the crawl gear moves slower in 4H vs 2H. My understanding was it was the same ratio, it just engages the front axle. Am I misunderstood?

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe big bend comes w/ sport mode 2.3 or 2.7 where it is not included on BL

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You say the crawl gear moves slower in 4H vs 2H. My understanding was it was the same ratio, it just engages the front axle. Am I misunderstood?
Shouldn't make a difference. It's the same ratio in high range. There may be a small difference in the "seat of the pants" feel in 4H, due to all the extra moving parts with the front axle and driveshaft engaged.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here ya go
Ford Bronco First week with Big Bend 4-door, soft top, 2.3 manual - Great PXL_20211217_193136852

karguy08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great review of the manual. Although I doubt my Badlands manual will get quite 22 MGP, it's encouraging.

I was kind of curious how "Sport" mode works on a manual though. You're in control of the RPMs of the engine, and the shift points. What is the computer doing here (aside from the steering adjustment)?
My badlands has had two fillups, the first yielded 16.9 MPG, the second 16.3 MPG. This is around town mostly, and on the stock 33's. I used 93 Octane, not that I'm sure that matters much.
Sponsored