Undecided

CSSM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 XV Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Won't be coming to North America though. Even if they did, it would need a much stronger engine to please the general public.
To be fair, it is not a car for the general public. Heck, even the Wrangler and Bronco aren't. They are lifestyle cars.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To be fair, it is not a car for the general public. Heck, even the Wrangler and Bronco aren't. They are lifestyle cars.
Yeah, totally. That's the image they are going for. But they end up being used by people for regular family vehicles with more curb appeal, especially the 4 door version. The Jimny will never be able to do that in its current form. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very cool little thing, I just couldn't see it selling much in North America where we like big numbers.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Won't be coming to North America though. Even if they did, it would need a much stronger engine to please the general public.
I'd consider buying one, but I really do like the look of the 2 door over the 4 door (the rear hatch is not a door, it's a rear hatch).

I've said before that if the Jimny were being brought to the US, I probably wouldn't even be looking at the Bronco. I stand by that.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It depends on how it was marketed. I think it could sell well. There isn't a big spread between 1.5 and 2.3, so it's not like they'd have to add a lot.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd consider buying one, but I really do like the look of the 2 door over the 4 door (the rear hatch is not a door, it's a rear hatch).
I think when it lifts, it's a hatch. When it opens sideways, it's a door.

OP
OP

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think when it lifts, it's a hatch. When it opens sideways, it's a door.
I had forgotten that the Jimny used a swing gate instead of a lift gate. I appreciate the reminder.

That said, I've seen hatchbacks and SUVs with lift gates referred to such that the rear hatch is referred to in the door count. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk3
"3-door hatchback"
"5-door estate"
"5-door hatchback"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander
"5-door SUV"

To me, that's like calling the trunk lid on a sedan or coupe a door, or the tailgate on a pickup a door. It's there to give you access to the cargo area. It is not designed for driver or passenger entry into the vehicle. It's not a fookin' door!

OK, rant over. :p

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
You guys saying the American market wouldn't accept it with that week engine.... Remember the samurai outsold the Wrangler by a lot when it was first released here. And they did it with a 60hp 4 banger. If it was priced cheap, like under 20k, it would fly off the lots. I'd be driving one right now if it was here, and I'd have zero interest in this bronco.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You guys saying the American market wouldn't accept it with that week engine.... Remember the samurai outsold the Wrangler by a lot when it was first released here. And they did it with a 60hp 4 banger. If it was priced cheap, like under 20k, it would fly off the lots. I'd be driving one right now if it was here, and I'd have zero interest in this bronco.
That's true, but:
-the samurai was sold in the 80s and early 90s, when power levels in general were significantly lower (200hp mustang gt anyone?)
-The samurai outsold the wrangler when it was only a 2 door, enthusiast vehicle. It's the 4 door that's the mainstream vehicle, which makes up the bulk of the sales, and appeals to the general public.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Suzuki left the US market because people weren't buying them in enough numbers.

Suzuki's US automotive sales peaked at 107,000 units (all nameplates) in 2007, and they basically nose dived from there.

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Suzuki ever finds it worthwhile to put in the time, effort, and cash to try to get back in compliance with US crash and emissions standards.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Samurai went downhill after C R did it's rollover test in 1988.

"The Samurai was withdrawn from the United States market in 1995 due to low sales. The disputed 1988 rollover report by Consumer Reports was recognized as the cause ".

Jook13

Base
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki samurai
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Samurai went downhill after C R did it's rollover test in 1988.

"The Samurai was withdrawn from the United States market in 1995 due to low sales. The disputed 1988 rollover report by Consumer Reports was recognized as the cause ".
Talk to hardcore samurai fans about the conspiracy theories around that whole thing... It was a hit piece

IWANT1Bronco

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

I've said before that if the Jimny were being brought to the US, I probably wouldn't even be looking at the Bronco. I stand by that.
If it cute and priced right those Jimneys will sell like hotcakes ...Guaranteed!!!
Sponsored