First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm considering changing from MIC to soft top to hopefully speed up my build, but I really hate the looks and function of this soft top. Has anyone considered or attempted to fix the wavy rear window and also get a better seal? If you have nothing constructive to say then please move on.
Sponsored

wedemmoez

Badlands
First Name
Moez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm considering changing from MIC to soft top to hopefully speed up my build, but I really hate the looks and function of this soft top. Has anyone considered or attempted to fix the wavy rear window and also get a better seal? If you have nothing constructive to say then please move on.
the way the windows are bonded makes it tough, might make more sense to get the Bestop version that has the straight rear window

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some people will claim you can fix it by stuffing some electrical connectors or wooden dowels in the retaining clips to tighten them up. The truth is it is still wavy and looks like ass. You will never get them to look as normal as the Bestop version.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well, the waviness is actually there by design. When you have the tailgate open, you can lift the rear frame of the soft top open to give you headroom to access the cargo area. The waves in the window allow it to fold (accordian-style) upward. Whether the waves bother you is a personal thing, but thereā€™s no ā€œfixā€, because itā€™s not broken.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I heard Tommy comment about this on a TFL video and he said that the sag was required to allow the back window or door to open and/or close or some other necessary function. Take that for what itā€™s worth since I donā€™t remember the details and some might not trust the source but it made sense when he explained it.

Sponsored

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That wave is intentional so that it folds correctly without developing sharp creases as the top is flipped up. The window itself is not perfectly square, so there is really no way you will ever 100% eliminate it.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just trying to clarify, do you mean the rear side windows? I have the soft top, but the rear window is pretty darn flat, not wavy at all.
Thatā€™s what they meanā€¦

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Another one.
By design, and they can be tightened up.

NOTE: the one just delivered on Sat. that I saw looked much better....

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You will fret over pictures of the wave in the side windows on the soft top until you get it. I will be honest, I am 4 months into having it and I do not even see it. I was thinking of all the ways to "fix" it, but it is really not a big deal now that I am not staring at it in every picture.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Some people will claim you can fix it by stuffing some electrical connectors or wooden dowels in the retaining clips to tighten them up. The truth is it is still wavy and looks like ass. You will never get them to look as normal as the Bestop version.
Well, the waviness is actually there by design. When you have the tailgate open, you can lift the rear frame of the soft top open to give you headroom to access the cargo area. The waves in the window allow it to fold (accordian-style) upward. Whether the waves bother you is a personal thing, but thereā€™s no ā€œfixā€, because itā€™s not broken.
The so-called fixes only tighten the top. When you look carefully at the stitching on the bottom you can plainly see that other than the front that is slid into a separate channel, that the bulk of the bottom of the window is about a half inch high. The fix would be one of two options as I see it but won't attempt until summer.

1. move the channel on the frame downward
2. move the slide on the bottom of the window upward

Neither of these fixes would, in my opinion, affect how the top folds when tail window is lifted - it gets more slack when opened

OP
OP

Hulluvatime

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good info on intentional waviness and whether it is needed. I will go soft top. Anyone know if the hitch is a problem to install post-delivery?

OP
OP

Hulluvatime

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure looks broken! Lol!

OP
OP

Hulluvatime

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HD 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You will fret over pictures of the wave in the side windows on the soft top until you get it. I will be honest, I am 4 months into having it and I do not even see it. I was thinking of all the ways to "fix" it, but it is really not a big deal now that I am not staring at it in every picture.
Wrong as usual when people make assumptions. You know how that turns out. I've seen and driven Broncos with soft and hard tops. Soft looks like hell, but I'm an engineer and always think there's a better way.
Sponsored