GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Wanted to provide some feedback on the "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 tripod mount on the dash. It worked well for two trips off the pavement. However when mounting a GoPro before the third trip the damn thing rattled loose to the point the GoPro was dancing around. I had to throw a sticky mount on the windshield as adhesive mounts will not stick to the dash. Today it rattled out of its spot completely during a rough ride. Going to investigate the best I can to see if whatever secured it came lose and is repairable given the limited space. Otherwise I plan on epoxying it so long as I don't cause any issues with hidden screw access.

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out PXL_20210827_164102134

Here is the fix; I would recommend preemptively doing this if it has not already happened:

Issue:

Ford did not put lock tight on the castle nut holding the tripod mount secure. (The lock tight shavings you see in the pictures is from me.) After a few off-road trips of using the mount, it will become unstable or unusable all together if the castle nut backs off.

Solution:
  1. Remove 2x T20 screws on the accessory mount insert (They are on either side of the tripod mount itself)
  2. Use a wedge to pop the clips holding the plastic section in place. (Ensure to put down a rag so you don't cause any marks on your dash)
  3. Retrieve the castle nut from the dash using a magnetic pick up tool, if yours has already backed off.
  4. Use thread locker on the male threads of the tripod mount and drop it into the plastic section.
  5. Tighten up the castle nut from the underside of the plastic section.
  6. Pop the plastic section back into place and reinstall 2x T20 screws.
Pictures:

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out PXL_20210827_164102134

Sponsored

Last edited:

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wanted to provide some feedback on the "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 tripod mount on the dash. It worked well for two trips off the pavement. However when mounting a GoPro before the third trip the damn thing rattled loose to the point the GoPro was dancing around. I had to throw a sticky mount on the windshield as adhesive mounts will not stick to the dash. Today it rattled out of its spot completely during a rough ride. Going to investigate the best I can to see if whatever secured it came lose and is repairable given the limited space. Otherwise I plan on epoxying it so long as I don't cause any issues with hidden screw access.

I'm not even sure how that is accessed. I think the threaded portion has been redesigned along the way. The pre-pro looks like a direct thread, and now it has "wings" or a flange surrounding it. Good luck and , keep us posted.

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out 9CF82D59-CD4C-431C-8E3C-85E5006E3733

acnp2022

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I tried sticking something on there and it came lose too. The byod we have seen may be long enough on the sides to serve as anchor points while something like a gopro is shit out of luck

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like maybe a nylon lock washer might help?

Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would try some vibra-tite first and see if that fixes the issue.

Vibra-Tite

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 Raptor, 2021 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Took a look at it today, identified the issue and solved it.

Issue:

Ford did not put loctite on the castle nut holding the tripod mount secure. (The loctite shavings you see in the pictures is from me.) After a few off-road trips of using the mount, it will become unstable or unusable all together if the castle nut backs off.

Solution:
  1. Remove 2x T20 screws on the accessory mount insert (They are on either side of the tripod mount itself)
  2. Use a wedge to pop the clips holding the plastic section in place. (Ensure to put down a rag so you don't cause any marks on your dash)
  3. Retrieve the castle nut from the dash using a magnetic pick up tool, if yours has already backed off.
  4. Use loctite on the male threads of the tripod mount and drop it into the plastic section.
Pictures:

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out PXL_20210828_214510572

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out PXL_20210828_214655006

Last edited:

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Took a look at it today, identified the issue and solved it.

Issue:

Ford did not put lock tight on the castle nut holding the tripod mount secure. (The lock tight shavings you see in the pictures is from me.) After a few off-road trips of using the mount, it will become unstable or unusable all together if the castle nut backs off.

Solution:
  4. Use thread locker on the male threads of the tripod mount and drop it into the plastic section.
Pictures:

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out PXL_20210828_214655006

Nice write up/picture up. You deserve a pineapple pizza sticker! Maybe @Administrator has some left?

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This happened to mine as well.

Ford Bronco FIXED: Dashboard "Accessory Ready" 1/4-20 Tripod Mount Rattled Out 20210829_152830

I already have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership becausr the dash power points dont work. They already relaced the ports and did not fix the problem so now they ordered the harnesses hopefully that fixes the power point problem. Will see if they have a solution to the mount coming undone......

Sponsored

Tor148

First Edition
First Name
Tor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor Bk, 21 FE RR, 15 F250,
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So had to take the Bronco in today for the PowerPoint on the dash they that fixed told them about this problem as well they ordered parts which hopefully should be here in a week or so I will keep you guys apprised of how it gets fixed

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just ran into this problem. Thanks for showing how this comes apart. I pulled the torx screws, but I was too chicken to start prying on anything.

Reactions: Cat

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mine broke after one day using a Tackform phone mount. Ugh. Will probably return the mount and start to fix next time at the dealer.