MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
https://fordauthority.com/2021/08/ford-bronco-team-not-ruling-out-fixed-roof-upscale-model
Per Ford Authority article

Ford Bronco Team Not Ruling Out Fixed Roof, Upscale Model

August 28, 2021

It’s hard to imagine a Ford Bronco without some sort of removable roof portion, a feature that’s always been synonymous with The Blue Oval’s legendary off-roader. After all, open-air cruising and trail riding are some of the Bronco’s most appealing features. But as it turns out, the same team that brought us the sixth-generation 2021 Ford Bronco hasn’t quite ruled out building a version of the SUV with a non-removable, fixed roof just yet.

“Not really, because the whole premise of the [Bronco] is open-air,” Ford Bronco Chief Engineer, Eric Loeffler, told Ford Authority Executive Editor, Alex Luft, in a recent interview. “Will someone in the aftermarket do it? Maybe. But generally speaking, we think that most people will want to be running around with the top off. But if we get customer demand for it over the next couple of years, then we’ll consider it.”

“Then you know, there are those of us who wonder what would happen if you wanted to go full Land Rover fighter with this vehicle, way up end, and then you would notice that they don’t have a removable top and they need that for quietness and so forth, so if we ever wanted to do something like that, then that could happen.”

These are undoubtedly interesting comments that indicate Ford has at least considered the idea of making a version of the Bronco that’s more of a direct competitor to the new Land Rover Defender. At least a few members of the Bronco team are clearly receptive to the idea, which is obviously intriguing on a number of levels.

While it doesn’t offer a removable top option, the Land Rover Defender does compete with the Jeep Wrangler and Bronco in the burgeoning off-road SUV segment, though it’s a bit more luxurious and expensive than those two. The Defender is available in both two- and four-door configurations, and unlike the Bronco, can be paired with a V8.

While Jeep is clearly concerned about the Bronco’s arrival, Joe Eberhardt, president and CEO of Land Rover North America, recently welcomed Ford’s rugged SUV to the world, citing its positive impact on the overall segment. However, he doesn’t view the Bronco as a direct competitor to the Defender, though perhaps that could change at some point in the coming years.
Sponsored

Sponsored

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford can save some money, and charge the same for a fixed roof Bronco. Ford will make more profit per vehicle, and pay out less in warranty costs fixing leaky, creaky, delaminating MIC roofs. Ford’s finance guys - get to work ASAP.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this whole thing is funny.

the bronco was never a removable roof direct competitor with jeep until now. it was it's own thing.
yes, there were a few years it had it but overall it was a pickup with a bolted roof that was difficult to remove and not officially supported.

it's smart, removable is a small market segment and a luxury. imo they should have gotten the mod or 1 piece together and called it a day. for as much as most remove it that would be fine.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I removed the roof on my 70 Bronco a few times. It was heavy and hard to remove. Never going to remove the top on my JKUR and would never remove it from a Bronco. A nice, quiet, well built top on a Bronco that can't be removed woulf not be a problem for me. Why don't we just spread the rumor of a solid front axle option.

Phil

Raptor
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
people making fun and joking about this but a lot of you folk would be first in line if ford said they have your bronco to you tomorrow if you take a hard top lmao

Sponsored

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just took my family on a 4000 mile meandering Miami to Burlington Vermont and back road trip. Wife and I discussed that we'd both be interested in a Bronco hardtop.

First, we have a 4Dr MIC hardtop and there is no getting around the fact that it is loud. We have the optional right bbwr floor mats over the carpet floor mats over the carpet to cut down noise. It is liveable, bit a hardtop would definitely be more quiet.

FYI, I owned my 94 Defender 90 softtop before selling it to buy my 95 Defender hardtop. I liked the hardtop WAY more.

We removed the front panels once on our trip while in Vermont and after an hour my wife insisted we put them back on because the Vermont summer sun was too much. Also, the bag Ford gives to put those two panels in is near impossible to figure out how they for in. It's cumbersome at best.

On a similar note, the windows operate in a very kludgey way because there is no frame for them. Back driver's side window has delay in opening when you open the door, so every time I open that door, the window catches at the top. Bad design! My daughters sit in kid seats in the back, so I open that door a lot

Love to see a hardtop option. I would order with my wife's 2 Dr 2022 Mansquatch build for sure if available.
Ford Bronco Fixed top Bronco could happen if Ford goes full Land Rover fighter PXL_20210810_163034116

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So Ford said it wasn’t considered and isn’t what Bronco is, but basically says “never say never”…and that’s an article? I guess you could say that every vehicle out there could come out as a convertible next year because the manufacturer hasn’t ruled it out…that’s about the same thing as this crap article.

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry Bronco Sporty Shorties, you ain't the first. We just called them Bronco Deuces

That ASC Sunroof could leak just as well as the MIC panels but we loved them just the same.

And pay attention to the 2nd pick. THAT'S how you pull off Kodiak Brown and make it look good too

As for a good looking 4Dr Hardtop, it was called an Explorer. And it would be perfect sharing the new chasis with the Ranger and Bronco.

Ford Bronco Fixed top Bronco could happen if Ford goes full Land Rover fighter download (4)
Ford Bronco Fixed top Bronco could happen if Ford goes full Land Rover fighter download
Ford Bronco Fixed top Bronco could happen if Ford goes full Land Rover fighter images (3)

Last edited:

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the bronco was never a removable roof direct competitor with jeep until now.
Tell me you don't know Bronco history without telling me you don't know Bronco history.

Ford Bronco Fixed top Bronco could happen if Ford goes full Land Rover fighter 1630181535774
Sponsored