Sponsored

FJ Cruiser Owner: Will Bronco be similar quality?

imOFP

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M2C, BRaptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Getting rid of my 14 FJ for the Bronco. (My 3rd one, I've had an FJ since they came out)

Do I think the Bronco will be better in terms of ride/handling/fun factor/updated tech? Absolutely.

Do I think it will be more reliable long term?
Not a chance. There's a reason people swear by Toyotas.
I like to picture (and hope) that the Bronco is everything I nitpicked in the FJ after driving it for 100k miles and 7 years. I loved my 2013 FJ as much as you can love a car without ending up a weirdo on TLC.... That said I had some minor issues with it and some of the mods to alleviate issues felt hacky - but were standard in the FJ community... I sold it for a new 2020 Subaru STI for some stupid reason.

I am very doubtful the Bronco will have similar reliability and quality over the same period of use and abuse as my FJ, but only time will tell.

I am all in for a loaded Badlands though and can't wait to get back on the trail.
Sponsored

FjBronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope so and took the gamble by selling my 2007 FJ for this Bronco. As much as I liked the FJ, I'm looking forward to something new with great capabilities and upgraded components.

Bates63

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm also the owner of a 2010 FJ I will be selling for partial payment on the Bronco. The FJ has been a great vehicle and my low mileage car will provide great resale value. My concern about rusting frames in the midwest, blind spot issues, and being underpowered will hopefully be solved. My FJ is also lacking in technology and I can't wait for the large screen navigation and all the other goodies a newer model will bring. I love the retro look of the FJ and that's why my replacement can only be a Bronco.

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a 2012 FJ (regret selling it) and my only input is that FJ is much easier to work on and the entire SUV is just simpler to deal with. So, based on simplicity of the mechanics, no turbos, and less electronics I would almost bet Bronco will not come close to the reliability you would have on the FJ.
Of course, that also depends on the condition of your FJ and how you've been taking care of it.

All newer cars and trucks are more complicated than 10 years ago and prone for failures for the first couple of years or until the issues are worked out, but the fact remains that having turbos, the IFC (which integrates the water pump with bunch of other parts), more computers and electronics will require special attention and higher repair costs.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It was before my time but I understand that one of the worst cases of what you referred to was the transition from the 1967 to the 1968 corvette. Apparently a lot of potential buyers of the '67 waited for the "new" redesigned '68 and were very, very disappointed in the poor quality and numerous bugs the 1968 had. Ironic that many waited as the 1967 is one of the most collectable now.
If I remember correctly the 1994 supra was banned from sale after a bunch of issues.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I'll be selling my 2011 FJ (see showcase link below avatar) for the Bronco down payment, never had any issues with it and it's just been solid on and off road. But as with any vehicle, going on somebodies one off story on a forum isn't a good way to judge a vehicle.

Some people forget the early ones had issues with the rear diff and it took Toyota a few years to address the front fenders cracking. Will be interesting to see what we run into on the early Broncos. I was originally going to wait a few years, but decided life is too short and I'm too impatient.
I have to say the rear diff/fender issue was overblown. I have a day one 2006 delivered with 150k miles with no issues. I have stock size tires, but I have towed 3-4klbs on a regular basis.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If I remember correctly the 1994 supra was banned from sale after a bunch of issues.
What set up are getting on your bronco? I am still trying to decide between a BL and an OBX. The wife would probably like the OBX better but it is going to be the car I drive most of the time. (notice how I did not say "my truck?", she has me trained!).

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had an FJ And didn’t like it. Probably had it less than 18 months. No major mechanical issues it just didn’t work or fit me. As far as reliability I still have a 2007 F150 with 280k+ almost all towing and zero issues. Changed the battery a bunch , fluids minus eng oil (every 5k) every 100k and brakes twice. It’s still a champ even swapped the spark plugs twice and only one broke. I do have a tie rod or something going on that needs to be fixed and will do soon. I would bet it’s gonna get me 500k in the next couple of years with some pretty extreme reliability.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What set up are getting on your bronco? I am still trying to decide between a BL and an OBX. The wife would probably like the OBX better but it is going to be the car I drive most of the time. (notice how I did not say "my truck?", she has me trained!).
I am leaning pretty hard toward the BL as I like the capabilities it offers out of the box. 4 door because kids, manual and softop ( extra head room is what swayed me, but I'll probably fold it more than I'd take apart the hard top). We don't trade cars, my wife doesn't like me driving her 4runner and messing up her mirrors ?.

A lot of people crap on the OBX a lot on here but I can see the case for a little more luxury and I kind of dig the none navy interior. However you can make the BL pretty cush if you don't mind spending a little extra.

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I test drove an FJC when they first came out and wasn't impressed. I currently drive a 2018 F•150 with the 2.7L engine, 10 speed transmission and LOVE the power/fuel economy it provides. I think you're gonna like the Bronco. ??

Sponsored

A1A

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am an FJC current owner. 2008 auto sandstorm purchased new. Currently 97k miles on my daily driver...love it...

Only issue I had was replacing the entire exhaust system (including both cats) a couple years ago for $8k due to New England winters. Otherwise nothing. Reliability can't be touched being a Toyota built at the Hino plant in Japan.

Also have owned 2 Expeditions, both with design flaws...in the 2011, rear doors would collect rain water, like ALOT, maybe a half gallon. would have to pull the door gasket out to let it drain...the other had windshield issues among other small things...

To get to your original Question...my opinion:

NO, reliability will not compare....YES, I will be getting an extended warranty...

By the way, I will be selling the FJ when my Bronco arrives next fall...if anyone is interested...now located in Florida... ;) ...let me know.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you have a reliable source on this? I saw two articles of dubious origin (an Australian truck service body manufacturer's website, and "motorbuiscuit.com", in an article that is either a cut-and-paste from the previous source or vice-versa) that say they were "banned by NHTSA". I looked on NHTSA and it didn't have any info, rather they mentioned 10 complaints and no investigations/recalls. 1994 non-US spec Supras (JDM) are even being legally imported. Plenty of '94 Supras were made US-spec and imported, several sites report sales of 3405 units in the USA in 1994, the most of any year of the gen IV Supra (1993-1999). I think it would be really odd for only one year of a model to be banned, and not the year prior or the years subsequent...

I'm interested because I looked for a gen IV Supra for a long time, and thought I knew a little bit about them - they are dead sexy cars. It was futile, though, as they were either heavily modified/abused or stock and unaffordable.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have a reliable source on this? I saw two articles of dubious origin (an Australian truck service body manufacturer's website, and "motorbuiscuit.com", in an article that is either a cut-and-paste from the previous source or vice-versa) that say they were "banned by NHTSA". I looked on NHTSA and it didn't have any info, rather they mentioned 10 complaints and no investigations/recalls. 1994 non-US spec Supras (JDM) are even being legally imported. Plenty of '94 Supras were made US-spec and imported, several sites report sales of 3405 units in the USA in 1994, the most of any year of the gen IV Supra (1993-1999). I think it would be really odd for only one year of a model to be banned, and not the year prior or the years subsequent...

I'm interested because I looked for a gen IV Supra for a long time, and thought I knew a little bit about them - they are dead sexy cars. It was futile, though, as they were either heavily modified/abused or stock and unaffordable.
No I don't I am pulling from memory which may have been reading an un reliable source while either drinking or on 24hr duty ( probably the later since I don't have time for the first one anymore)

I do know that the first model year MK II mr2 turbo suffered from head gasket failure , that was fixed quickly.

awall987

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds like there will be a few more FJ's for sale next year because of the Bronco :p

I have to say the rear diff/fender issue was overblown. I have a day one 2006 delivered with 150k miles with no issues. I have stock size tires, but I have towed 3-4klbs on a regular basis.
I never knew anyone with the diff issue but did know a few guys in the SoCal off-road group with the cracked fenders. I don't think any of them even bothered to do anything about it as it wasn't a big deal to them. The worst by far was a guy with 35's who wheeled the crap out of his, but he pretty much tore up the rest of his rig.
Sponsored