Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

drove around a bit today and explored some campgrounds and picked up a small sharp rock, right in between the threads of my Sashquatch tires, causing a slow leak. Made it back home on 20psi
Ford Bronco flat tire while "off roading" my Sashquatch Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 3.44.33 PM
, now I have to see if that can get fixed or if I'll already need to buy a new tire. The rocks are sharp on the mountain, but this is not really confidence inducing regarding the GoodYear Territory MT tires after some 500 miles. Might have been just a fluke, bad luck, but still. First flat in over 20 years. I'm attaching a photo, I never used a patch kit (as I haven't had a flat in so long), does this look fixable? I'll bring it to America's Tire when they have a moment to check it out.

But good thing there are pressure monitors or I would have not noticed this and gone on exploring.

Oh, and the tires are damn heavy and I'm gonna buy a better jack too.

I sure hope the tires hold up better when actually going off road.

I was planning on doing 5 tire rotations, is a plugged tire safe to use as anything but a spare? I guess the store will tell me.

Not the adventure I had in mind for today...
Sponsored

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm guessing that can be plugged, but it's a pretty big, long hole. Real bummer - and I vote for just freak bad luck.

Most tire stores will tell you not to use your plugged tire long-term, but then wink and tell you it'll be fine. If they can fix it, in that location, it's probably okay. Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out...

brentutk

Wildtrak
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eruption Green Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As long as it's nowhere near the sidewall, and it's not enormous, a repair should work fine long term. Happens all the time. But ultimately if you're uncomfortable with it, just use it as the spare. One advantage of 5 full wheels/tires.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Plug it and run it. I have had holes big enough to require 3 folded over tire plugs, thousands of miles later and no leaks.

Buy a $10 repair kit from AutoZone and plug it yoself. It is always good to carry a kit with you when off roading anyhow.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Were you aired down?

Don't go on sharp rocks without dropping your PSI quite substantially to help prevent punctures.

I'm not familiar with the Sasquatch tires yet, but my 33" Grabbers would be dropped from 39 PSI to about 17-21, depending on terrain. I imagine 20-22 would be a very safe number for the 35s.

Airing down (for those unfamiliar) is paramount to protect your tires and your spine. It's a lot like a balloon - when filled up all the way, very fragile. Drop down the PSI by 50% and it will take the shape of the object stabbing it (within reason) instead of popping.

My recommendation for kit is the ARB single or double compressor by Ford Performance and the ARB stem puller that you can get from Amazon for under $50. You can just use a sharp stick as well, but time is money and pulling the stem saves minutes per tire.

Im sure @Stage 3 Motorsports would be happy to oblige as well.

Twin Compressor: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/ckmtp12-arb-portable-twin-air-compressor-system.html

Single Chamber Compressor: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m-1830-fpac-ford-ford-performance-arb-portable-air-compressor.html

Rapid Deflator: https://www.stage3motorsports.com/2823-smittybilt-rad-rapid-air-deflator-0-60psi.html

its basic math - the double compressor inflates roughly 2x faster than single. Is it worth double the cost? Thats up to you. Double also has higher duty cycle, meaning you don't need to stop and let it cool off every 30-45 minutes of continuous use. Not a big deal unless you air up your entire convoy.

I'm not affiliated with Stage 3, but they've done right by me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have it taken off the rim and patched from the inside. Then you are worry free. I have used plugs with out issue for ever, however your puncture looks like a terrific candidate for an internal patch.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess this is one way to ”air down” your Bronco…

I hope that joke wasn’t too soon lol. Shitty running into that so early. There’s lots of people on here swapping out their tires and wheels, so you might be able to score a cheap tire.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s gonna happen. I’d have it patched if you’re back in civilization. If still on the trail, plugs work great.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Daktari

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

thanks, all, I'm gonna have it looked at this afternoon, see what they say.

I was not aired down, just explored around our mountain here on the paved road and went into some of the campgrounds and picknick areas. Also lots of debris on the road from last night's storm. I'd just call it bad luck for now, but it's pretty ironic in a way, as this was certainly not off roading as I understand it.

Just glad I got the warning on my screen and made it home.

And yes, I'm ordering a plug kit today, seems like all car parts stores in my town are gone, checked the last one I know of and it was mostly empty, everything 50% off. Also gonna order an air down tool for that real off roading.

Thanks for the input!

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the hole isn't too large a combination patch plug is a proper and permanent repair.
Ford Bronco flat tire while "off roading" my Sashquatch 1635205369007
heh... haven't seen those before. I did have a tire repaired last summer and I noted that they plugged and patched it. Here I thought they were going the extra mile. Surely they just used these.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Take it to a tire shop. That’s an easy patch and would cost $15 around here. I can’t tell you how many patches my tires have, problem with frequenting construction sites.
Sponsored