Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350, 2010 F150, 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is my report to the NHTSA
This vehicle is supposed to be flat tow able. If I go to flat tow this car it will lock up the
wheels during the first hour or so while towing behind my motor home using a supplemental
braking system. I find out later from a forum online that I need to remove some fuses to tow
it properly. I hear Ford is working on this issue for a couple years but how many tire lock ups
before someone gets hurt?
Sponsored

BeardedRanger

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond; Ram Rebel 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Go back to the beginning of this thread there are several post about filing NTHSA
Thanks Grant! You gave the information in post #46 if anyone else is looking for it. I used your explanation and added the following:

Ford came up with a temporary work around so the EBB never comes on. This involves pulling fuses but you.have to wait for 5 minutes after you close the doors for the vehicle to go enter sleep mode. To take the Bronco out of flat tow mode you must again wait 5 minutes after opening the hood and closing the doors before re-installing the fuses. When flat towing behind with a motorhome it is impossible to backup with the tow vehicle attached. Having to wait 5 minutes before being able to disconnect the tow vehicle is very dangerous in many situations.

wvabeer

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I found I was able to back up more than I could with a tow dolly. No far but a few more feet.

BeardedRanger

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond; Ram Rebel 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I found I was able to back up more than I could with a tow dolly. No far but a few more feet.
Officially you are never supposed to backup though.

wvabeer

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
BeardedRanger, post: 1766048, member: 46313"]
Officially you are never supposed to backup though.
[/QUOTE] yeah but sometimes you have to.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tilzbow , right on , I was talking to a guy at the filling station the other day and he had no idea there was a problem.
One of the nice's paint jobs I have seen. It was the Eruption Green Metallic with stripping to give it the old Eddie Bauer look with bullet hole aluminum wheels.
Think is was a OBX sasquatch.
O, anyway he tows without a brake system, large diesel with tandem rear axles.
One of the guys I met had an Air Force One set to work when the Bronco boost was on. When I told him about the issue he said he didn’t really care since his Super C had a 30,000 tow capacity and didn’t think it‘d be an issue if his toad brakes weren’t helping and the RV had to take the entire braking load. He might be right as far as his RV but it sure seems like you’d be adding a lot of stress to the tow bars if you’re relying on them to take on the full load of your Bronco every time you hit the brakes in the RV.

In my case, with my 2020 Dutch Star, my Air Force One broke, due to an installation mistake, at the tail end of our 6 week trip in December on the way to Las Vegas and I could definitely feel the Bronco pushing the coach the last 100 miles. My wife ended up driving the Bronco from Vegas to home in Reno. That said, I bet most are totally unaware there’s an issue and since Ford hasn’t communicated directly to owners it sure seems like they’ve got some liability if something goes wrong. That kind of makes me think they might be trying to hide the issue, since it’d be another black eye in the Bronco launch, until they get the new software fix rolled out. I say this optimistically and hope they’re still working on a fix so we don’t have to pull fuses.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re completing a complaint it should read something along the lines of:

“If the supplemental brake system connecting the RV brakes to the towed vehicle brakes is set by the professional installer to work properly by the installer when the electronic brake boost is active, it will no longer provide sufficient braking to the towed vehicle to safely stop both vehicles once the electric brake boost goes to sleep after 45 minutes to an hour.“

wvabeer

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
TE="Tilzbow, post: 1766143, member: 16112"]
If you’re completing a complaint it should read something along the lines of:

“If the supplemental brake system connecting the RV brakes to the towed vehicle brakes is set by the professional installer to work properly by the installer when the electronic brake boost is active, it will no longer provide sufficient braking to the towed vehicle to safely stop both vehicles once the electric brake boost goes to sleep after 45 minutes to an hour.“
[/QUOTE]
I think it should be selectable on or off.

BahnBob

Raptor
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Rubicon RECON 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey 2022 Bronco Raptor owner here. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the 3.0?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey 2022 Bronco Raptor owner here. Does anyone know if this is an issue with the 3.0?
Spec sheet shows the Raptor as EBB (Electronically controlled brake boost)
EBB looks like this picture, note no vacuum chamber connected to the master cylinder next to the fire wall.
Ford Bronco Flat Tow 2.7l Electric Brake/BMS time out. NTHSA claim ebb

Sponsored

BahnBob

Raptor
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Rubicon RECON 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks, I spoke with the Demco tech rep and he stated the same thing. So, do I need to worry about the BRaptor "going to sleep" after 45 minutes?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you do not pull the fuses, reference Ford TSB 22-2360, you will start out towing with full brake boost assist and then after 30 to 45 minutes it will go to zero.

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Speaking of braking and load on the tow hooks, I came across this while researching Jeep towing:
https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-towing-tie-rod?search_query=Towing+Tie+Rod&results=3#/

Some Jeeps had a cracked frame using specific tow hooks and the vendor recommended this bar that ties the two arms of the BlueOx/Roadmaster together creating a triangle so when you brake there is no outward force on the arms on the tow hooks (arms naturally want to spread outward during braking at the bumper) and keeps the braking force directly on the vehicle.

Seems like a good idea for all toads, especially those that may go without brakes in the toad.

Wkm01

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Has Ford issued the needed software for TSB 22-2360 to address this brake issue when being towed by a motorhome? If not, any status or info on when it might be released?
Sponsored