drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Either way the mapping in the system while in tow mode is incorrect when it comes to leaving critical systems running while in tow
While I understand the idea, I'm not sure it'll wind up with an end result of EBB assist during flat-tow. Generally the existing standard was that systems would need to supply vacuum pressure to allow boosted operation on those systems that require it but otherwise no vehicle side boost is created. I have belief that the trend of the same being instilled with EBB albeit there won't be an option to back-feed the EBB system with supplementation. I do hope that there is a user option for both choices that would allow an open integration to the aftermarket supplemental braking up to any variant of system. Though considering that there isn't really any regulations stating how the supplemental braking system operates the brakes I don't know for sure if we will see both options. I've only heard it would lean towards no boost and the unfortunate requirement of some customers needing new braking systems that do not use boost assisted braking. However I don't speak for Ford and these are just open thoughts.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I understand the idea, I'm not sure it'll wind up with an end result of EBB assist during flat-tow. Generally the existing standard was that systems would need to supply vacuum pressure to allow boosted operation on those systems that require it but otherwise no vehicle side boost is created. I have belief that the trend of the same being instilled with EBB albeit there won't be an option to back-feed the EBB system with supplementation. I do hope that there is a user option for both choices that would allow an open integration to the aftermarket supplemental braking up to any variant of system. Though considering that there isn't really any regulations stating how the supplemental braking system operates the brakes I don't know for sure if we will see both options. I've only heard it would lean towards no boost and the unfortunate requirement of some customers needing new braking systems that do not use boost assisted braking. However I don't speak for Ford and these are just open thoughts.
My personal preference with the ready brake versus other systems is less about the electric systems on the Ford as it is about the potential for things to fail on the other aftermarket units. The ready brake surge type unit is just pretty much foolproof. That said, I'm still really concerned about all the electrical/computer gremlins that could be still potentially affecting us on the Bronco. It's hard enough to actually get a Bronco garage let alone the fact that if the transfer case suddenly slipped into gear while towing that it would be months and months to get parts and then warranty most likely wouldn't even cover it. If I could be assured that the actual systems on the Bronco we're going to function as intended, I'd have no problem leaving the battery on. With that however, then you have to run power to the Bronco so the battery stays charged. On top of that, if someone does want to splice into the wiring to run turn/running light/brake signals then there's the potential for the computer to throw a code because it may detect minute voltage changes. I love my Bronco, but man it was so much easier with a Jeep LJ and being able to manually put the transfer case where you wanted it and to have it stay that way. In addition to wishing that the Bronco folks could manufacture a dipstick that was accurate, I sure wish that they could ensure that the towing feature will actually work.

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m dealing with brake light failures right now

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anyone have any idea what’s happening here?

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The best thing is to wait on ford to address this situation so that things are working as intended. I’ve been told that this has been escalated to a field service engineer and he’s is supposed to be talking to a higher up individual to get things straight. I truly believe that the techs that were being told did not understand how flat towing works and nuances to it and what may have been overlooked by engineers when putting into flat tow mode on the 2.7 with EBB they kept telling my service manager about battery draw not understanding that we have made sure it was alway receiving over 13.5 back through the charge line They then thought I was towing with the bronco and whatever I was towing was drawing from my bronco so my service manager had to reiterate that the bronco was being towed by an rv that was supplying charge the whole time and the BMS was automatically timing out the EBB no matter what and that the internal mapping was creating the problem and a software update was needed. So we will see 🤷‍♂️
I pray that this is not another red herring 🙏🙏🙏
Defined for those under 40:
something, especially a clue, that is or is intended to be misleading or distracting.😂

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my dealership service manager has been great he got in contact with field service engineer and he talked with higher ups and they should be issuing a TSB by Friday or so and hopefully software update but that is t confirmed

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that was a lot of work stuff is happening. Yay!!!!

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasq , 22 McLaren GT, 20 Audi A8hybr,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have every thing crossed and some that I did not know could cross 🤞🤭

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my dealership service manager has been great he got in contact with field service engineer and he talked with higher ups and they should be issuing a TSB by Friday or so and hopefully software update but that is t confirmed
This will be awesome! Is it safe to assume the service manager didn’t say or know what the software update would do?

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure yet supposed to be getting a tsb first then we will see weather it will be a software update or what not sure yet should happen in the next 2 weeks or so

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yay!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Title:

2021-2022 Bronco – Neutral (4-Wheel Flat) Towing - Inconsistent Brake Feel Through The Supplemental Brake System

Issue Statement:

Customers who neutral (4-wheel flat) tow 2021-2022 Broncos equipped with an electronic brake booster (EBB) may report an inconsistent brake assist when a supplemental braking system has been installed. This may result from supplemental brake system set-up that does not account for the Bronco’s EBB system entering sleep mode (via the ABS module) after a pre-determined period of time following vehicle shut-down. This functionality is necessary to prevent battery drain. Enhanced software is under development to address this condition when the vehicle enters Neutral Tow mode. The new software is expected to be available in September 2022. Monitor OASIS for updates. Until the software becomes available, customers who meet this criterion may perform the following steps to address this condition when neutral (4-wheel flat) towing their vehicle.

Action Statement:

Follow the Service Procedure steps as a temporary resolution on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021-2022 Bronco
  • Equipped with an electronic brake booster (EBB)
  • Customer using a supplemental brake system to recreational tow their vehicle

Service Action:

• Procedure For Entering Neutral Tow Mode
  • Place the vehicle into Neutral Tow mode by following the instructions located in the vehicle’s Digital Owner’s Manual by using the center touch screen and selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Driving and Operating > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreational Towing Your Vehicle – Automatic Transmission.
  • NOTE: Follow all safety precautions and notes during the procedure. Once Neutral Tow mode has been activated turn off the vehicle. Do not continue this procedure until the vehicle successfully enters Neutral Tow mode.
  • Open the hood to gain access to the engine compartment.
  • Close all passenger doors and wait 5 minutes to allow the vehicle to enter sleep mode.
  • Locate the under hood fuse box and remove the top plastic cover by disengaging the three push tabs. (Figure 1)
  • Ford Bronco Flat Tow 2.7l Electric Brake/BMS time out. NTHSA claim 1652803473190
  • Locate both 60-amp fuses 28 and 29 located in the under hood fuse box and carefully remove them using needle nose pliers. Once removed, store both fuses in a safe place for later reinstallation. (Figure 2)
  • Ford Bronco Flat Tow 2.7l Electric Brake/BMS time out. NTHSA claim 1652803510615
  • Reinstall the top plastic cover onto the under hood fuse box. Refer to Figure 1.
  • Close the hood.
  • Install the supplemental braking system on the vehicle following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

• Procedure For Exiting Neutral Tow Mode
  • Note: Be sure that the vehicle is safely secured to the towing vehicle before proceeding.
  • Remove the supplemental braking system from the vehicle following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
  • Make sure the vehicle is still OFF then open the hood to gain access to the engine compartment.
  • Close all passenger doors and wait 5 minutes to allow the vehicle to enter sleep mode.
  • Locate the under hood fuse box and remove the top plastic cover. (Figure 3)
  • Use needle nose pliers to carefully install fuses 28 and 29 into their proper locations within the under hood fuse box. (Figure 4)
  • Reinstall the top plastic cover onto the under hood fuse box. Refer to Figure 1.
  • Close the hood.
  • Remove the vehicle from Neutral Tow mode by following the instructions located in the vehicle’s Digital Owner’s Manual by using the center touch screen and selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Driving and Operating > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreational Towing Your Vehicle – Automatic Transmission.
  • NOTE: If the vehicle is turned ON while fuses 28 and 29 are removed, warnings may display within the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). These warnings may continue to show on the first 1-2 key cycles after the fuses have been installed. If this happens, allow the vehicle to enter sleep mode by letting it sit in the OFF position with the hood and doors closed for at least 5 minutes. If faults continue to occur, all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) must be cleared using Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS).

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title:

2021-2022 Bronco – Neutral (4-Wheel Flat) Towing - Inconsistent Brake Feel Through The Supplemental Brake System

Issue Statement:

Customers who neutral (4-wheel flat) tow 2021-2022 Broncos equipped with an electronic brake booster (EBB) may report an inconsistent brake assist when a supplemental braking system has been installed. This may result from supplemental brake system set-up that does not account for the Bronco’s EBB system entering sleep mode (via the ABS module) after a pre-determined period of time following vehicle shut-down. This functionality is necessary to prevent battery drain. Enhanced software is under development to address this condition when the vehicle enters Neutral Tow mode. The new software is expected to be available in September 2022. Monitor OASIS for updates. Until the software becomes available, customers who meet this criterion may perform the following steps to address this condition when neutral (4-wheel flat) towing their vehicle.

Action Statement:

Follow the Service Procedure steps as a temporary resolution on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• 2021-2022 Bronco
  • Equipped with an electronic brake booster (EBB)
  • Customer using a supplemental brake system to recreational tow their vehicle

Service Action:

• Procedure For Entering Neutral Tow Mode
  • Place the vehicle into Neutral Tow mode by following the instructions located in the vehicle’s Digital Owner’s Manual by using the center touch screen and selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Driving and Operating > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreational Towing Your Vehicle – Automatic Transmission.
  • NOTE: Follow all safety precautions and notes during the procedure. Once Neutral Tow mode has been activated turn off the vehicle. Do not continue this procedure until the vehicle successfully enters Neutral Tow mode.
  • Open the hood to gain access to the engine compartment.
  • Locate the under hood fuse box and remove the top plastic cover by disengaging the three push tabs. (Figure 1)
  • Ford Bronco Flat Tow 2.7l Electric Brake/BMS time out. NTHSA claim 1652803510615
  • Locate both 60-amp fuses 28 and 29 located in the under hood fuse box and carefully remove them using needle nose pliers. Once removed, store both fuses in a safe place for later reinstallation. (Figure 2)
  • Close the hood.
  • Install the supplemental braking system on the vehicle following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.

• Procedure For Exiting Neutral Tow Mode
  • Note: Be sure that the vehicle is safely secured to the towing vehicle before proceeding.
  • Remove the supplemental braking system from the vehicle following the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
  • Make sure the vehicle is still OFF then open the hood to gain access to the engine compartment.
  • Locate the under hood fuse box and remove the top plastic cover. (Figure 3)
  • Use needle nose pliers to carefully install fuses 28 and 29 into their proper locations within the under hood fuse box. (Figure 4)
  • Close the hood.
  • Remove the vehicle from Neutral Tow mode by following the instructions located in the vehicle’s Digital Owner’s Manual by using the center touch screen and selecting Features > Owner’s Manual > Driving and Operating > Towing Your Vehicle > Recreational Towing Your Vehicle – Automatic Transmission.
  • NOTE: If the vehicle is turned ON while fuses 28 and 29 are removed, warnings may display within the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC). These warnings may continue to show on the first 1-2 key cycles after the fuses have been installed. If this happens, allow the vehicle to enter sleep mode by letting it sit in the OFF position with the hood and doors closed for at least 5 minutes. If faults continue to occur, all diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) must be cleared using Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS).
It’s great that Ford officially acknowledged the issue and has a permanent solution in the works! My only question is if the detailed procedure above results in the electric brake boost staying on or if it shuts off the power to it. My other question is if the long term solution will have an option to keep the EBB on or shut it off when flat towing.

The answers to the above will dictate which auxiliary brake systems are compatible with a Bronco that has EBB.

I literally just dropped off my Bronco and motorhome this morning to have the Air Force One system installed so I’m hoping the long term solution has a choice for the EBB to stay on if a charge line is also installed.
Sponsored