First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sasq , 22 McLaren GT, 20 Audi A8hybr,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford! Thank you for watching this thread and addressing the issue, both in the short term and long term, very much looking forward to 9/2022.

Question: Does removing the two fuses shut down the EBB or does it remain active and it shuts down the timing mechanism in the ABS? Charge line installed so battery voltage not an issue.
Sponsored

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Now looking for a 60 amp bypass switch to prevent removing fuse box cover all the time.

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford, one more item. It would appear that this short solution will cause the EBB to shut down with the removal of the fuse 28 and 29, thus removing the variability of the current issue. This really does not solve the issue in that the brakes remain ineffective with out boost. In you long term software solution. PLEASE give us an option to either keep the EBB active for the duration of the tow or to shut it down from the start. Each supplemental braking system works under these two assumptions. PLEASE do not just just down the EBB. Thank you again.

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford, one more item. It would appear that this short solution will cause the EBB to shut down with the removal of the fuse 28 and 29, thus removing the variability of the current issue. This really does not solve the issue in that the brakes remain ineffective with out boost. In you long term software solution. PLEASE give us an option to either keep the EBB active for the duration of the tow or to shut it down from the start. Each supplemental braking system works under these two assumptions. PLEASE do not just just down the EBB. Thank you again.
As I’ve stated previously, this right now is the only way it’s going to be for a while. There may be potential for having a user option to appease both types of systems currently available on the market but there is going to be a LOT of behind the scenes work to ensure that it’s safe for customers and that there are no liability issues with allowing the EBB to remain active during flat towing, especially in regards to literature work to ensure customers are aware of the implications of supplemental battery charging requirements. It’s a legal hurdle at the moment.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I’ve stated previously, this right now is the only way it’s going to be for a while. There may be potential for having a user option to appease both types of systems currently available on the market but there is going to be a LOT of behind the scenes work to ensure that it’s safe for customers and that there are no liability issues with allowing the EBB to remain active during flat towing, especially in regards to literature work to ensure customers are aware of the implications of supplemental battery charging requirements. It’s a legal hurdle at the moment.
Has anyone tested to confirm the new Ford procedure shuts off the EBB or are these posts based on assumptions that it shuts off? I tend to jump to the same conclusion and I’d test myself but my Bronco is in the shop getting the Air Force One installed and I’d like to provide them with some direction today.

Sponsored
OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So more info. I talked to Grant via phone, he is pretty sure that this will down the ABS system which the EBB is part off. Fuse 28 and 29 are ABS. I have also talked to Demco, if in fact that is the case we are to block off the vacuum and exhaust port on the AF1 thus getting full air pressure from the coach to the AF1/Bronco

tilzbow, if you can have your shop check the above after the install and make the adjustment to the AF1 that would be great.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So more info. I talked to Grant via phone, he is pretty sure that this will down the ABS system which the EBB is part off. Fuse 28 and 29 are ABS. I have also talked to Demco, if in fact that is the case we are to block off the vacuum and exhaust port on the AF1 thus getting full air pressure from the coach to the AF1/Bronco

tilzbow, if you can have your shop check the above after the install and make the adjustment to the AF1 that would be great.
Thanks for the intel! I just got off the phone with Demco and received the same direction you did and now I know who sent them the newly released Ford information;)

I’m waiting to communicate this information to the installer (they’re at lunch) and I’ll ask them to test, adjust etc. during the setup and will report back to this group but that won’t be until late Thursday.

Now that I know the AF1 will work whether or not the EBB is on or off (per Demco) I’m a happy man!

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It has taken a village but we are getting somewhere! Thank you all for your help!!

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have also contacted Curt and etrailer to see if they have a 60 am dual fuse bypass, they have a 20 amp. I would just mount it under the hood wait the 5 min etc. Cant mount it inside because you will reawaken the system by opening the door after the 5 min sleep. We have have to make one up ourselves.

Etrailer was NO

Last edited:

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking why not just install a battery disconnect switch, but if you did I guess you'd lose all settings if they are not written to storage somewhere in the vehicle. If all the settings were, that may be easier.

I wonder why you need to wait 5 min before disconnecting. Seems it would be easier to just pull and wait the 5 min after you plug them back in when you reach your destination than holding a lane/spot for the timer.

Something is better than nothing, but I wish engineers would engage a little before finding a solution to ensure it resolves the issue for the majority of users. It reminds me of going through development on user interface or just software issues and devs create a solution for issue #1 but that creates issues 1-5 on the next release ;)..

Anyway, something is better than nothing. I appreciate the effort at ford. I do hope (very much so) the solution going forward is to leave EBB on and update neutral tow guidance that the towing vehicle must be charging the towed (Ford) vehicle.

Sponsored

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It took a lot of my time to get here I do appreciate ford finally acknowledging this and sending something to help. This has been a full time job on the phone with ford dealers and ford as well and am glad we are moving forward. I DO NEED FORD TO UNDERSTAND that I was told to go ahead and install the supplementary brake system which is an Air Force 1 system that obviously does not remove and install it’s a permanent installation and have it set for power brakes and I would expect that the software update will accommodate this under tow mode enabled. Also I’m not exactly sure the whole process of blocking the intake and exhaust port of the af1 but hoping demco can help with that. I do appreciate everyone’s help here as well as the dealers, demco and so on just kinda wondering how this was overlooked ? But again I appreciate for acknowledging this and making it right as soon as possible. They asked me when I was going on vacation with the rv and I canceled for may I have dates in June but not sure I feel super comfortable doing this temporary situation. Idk we will see

OP
OP

AZBronco21

Outer Banks
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have been pounding ford weekly on twitter. Today I had to send an acknowledgment tweet and thank you. I do think they are following the tweets and this thread. I also think that interior guy has been instrumental in getting Ford to acknowledge and seek a solution. Thank you to all

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We should all meet up at some point and we can tell ford camp fire stories. Thanks JD, Grant and others. I never thought it would be this much to do but glad we got the ball rolling.