Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Explorer, 13 Edge, 00 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recommend pulling fuses still. Flat towed the bronco 1068 miles to Moab and almost got rear ended because the EBB and ABS were both clearly on an the brakes of the bronco would not release until we were at a full stop. However, it was working fine at the beginning , but at some point they turned themselves back on.
Sponsored

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey grant talked to my dealer today they said I have to bring it in for them to do manually? Is that true? How can I see if mine doesn’t need the fuse pull anymore? I’m not sure my dealer understands or care’s honestly talked to the service manager today and he thought I was taken care of and I haven’t been on here so didn’t hear about all this so I don’t know if it fixed itself or I need to keep my appointment for April 12 for it to work? Any information would help it’s been a long road.
My dealer had to go in and do the update. They said it wasn’t something that would update automatically with the software updates. However - mine is back in the shop with a gremlin problem that may or may not be related to the software update they installed. I’ve had it basically die when it goes into the auto shutoff at a stop light and not come back on. The first time it happened it let me restart it from park after a few tries. The last time I couldn’t get it restarted. Had to tow it to dealer. Of course they haven’t been able to replicate

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just completed a 2,949 mile long trip that included 17 stops which required us to connect and disconnect the Bronco. I didn’t pull fuses the entire trip and we never had an issue getting into or out of tow mode. No issues with brakes locking up either. There we 2-3 times the Bronco didn’t come out of tow mode properly but that’s because I didn’t hold the brake pedal down long enough when taking it out and waiting for the message that it was no longer in tow mode. Other than that exception I followed the instructions in the manual step by step and never had an issue. I keep a printed copy in the Bronco’s door panel to refer to each time so I don’t accidentally forget a step.

Yesterday we headed home from Williams, AZ to Reno, NV. We drove ~440 miles to Tonopah, NV, overnighted there and drove the last 225 miles today. I left the Bronco connected to the motorhome overnight, left it in tow mode and everything worked great today, too.

My tow specs are:

- 2020 Newmar Dutch Star Class A diesel pusher
- Airforce 1 brake system
- Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar connected directly to a JCR Off Road winch bumper
- A 12v charge line from the RV to the Bronco

BahnBob

Raptor
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Wrangler Rubicon RECON 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just completed a 2,949 mile long trip that included 17 stops which required us to connect and disconnect the Bronco. I didn’t pull fuses the entire trip and we never had an issue getting into or out of tow mode. No issues with brakes locking up either. There we 2-3 times the Bronco didn’t come out of tow mode properly but that’s because I didn’t hold the brake pedal down long enough when taking it out and waiting for the message that it was no longer in tow mode. Other than that exception I followed the instructions in the manual step by step and never had an issue. I keep a printed copy in the Bronco’s door panel to refer to each time so I don’t accidentally forget a step.

Yesterday we headed home from Williams, AZ to Reno, NV. We drove ~440 miles to Tonopah, NV, overnighted there and drove the last 225 miles today. I left the Bronco connected to the motorhome overnight, left it in tow mode and everything worked great today, too.

My tow specs are:

- 2020 Newmar Dutch Star Class A diesel pusher
- Airforce 1 brake system
- Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain tow bar connected directly to a JCR Off Road winch bumper
- A 12v charge line from the RV to the Bronco
Hi, quick question, how did you set up the AFO in your Bronco? Did you put the cap over the exhaust port on the box installed in the towed or did you leave it open?

thanks,
BahnBob

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi, quick question, how did you set up the AFO in your Bronco? Did you put the cap over the exhaust port on the box installed in the towed or did you leave it open?

thanks,
BahnBob
Man, it’s been a year but I’m 90% sure the installer put the cap on the exhaust port. He installed it on the bumper under the winch plate and to see the controller requires a bumper cover to be removed otherwise I’d check and verify for you. I do know the techs I’ve talked to at Demco are familiar with the Bronco and could tell you for sure.

Sponsored

Runyon

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bad lands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok so I took mine in to supposedly get the Service note, SSM 51415 2021-2023 that is supposed to keep it from coming back active. No more than down the driveway it full locked on me with an RVI set to vacuum on the lightest vehicle. Then seemed to work ok for 3 more stops, then next stoplight bang. Locked the all up. Did the trip in active mode with little or no braking. Did they not do the correct fix? 2dr 21 badlands 2.7. This is such a safty issue not to mention how hard it is on all equipment involved. What is our recourse here??

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok so I took mine in to supposedly get the Service note, SSM 51415 2021-2023 that is supposed to keep it from coming back active. No more than down the driveway it full locked on me with an RVI set to vacuum on the lightest vehicle. Then seemed to work ok for 3 more stops, then next stoplight bang. Locked the all up. Did the trip in active mode with little or no braking. Did they not do the correct fix? 2dr 21 badlands 2.7. This is such a safty issue not to mention how hard it is on all equipment involved. What is our recourse here??
Are you getting serval brake warnings when you go into tow more?

Runyon

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bad lands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes but , they were more consistent with just the OTA update. What I mean is, before this last update, that they did at the dealer, it would immediately pop up errors and you would feel the break pedal move. Now they sometimes come up after I press the brake a few times and I never really feel the pop In The pedal. I hope that makes sense. I'm going to pull the fuses today and rule out the RVi. Is there some way for me to determine if the service note was done or what my firmware should be??I feel like mine should be working but maybe I have a different brake module they didn't account for or something. This is Dangerous and needs more attention!!!

Runyon

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bad lands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So today I ruled out my rvi system. I removed the fuses and the braking was flawles on vacuum mode. How do I get this resolved? My dealer techs I do not trust how. I want to know how to verify firmware and what firmware I should have to resolved this dangerous issue!!

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Steve I also have a RVi-3 and have had the brakes lock up one time going to Mexican hat, once coming home and then twice going down a exit ram on I70 going to St George UT. After filling up I pulled the 2 60 amp fuses for the rest of the trip. Also pulled them for the return trip and no issues with brakes on the bronco. So I called my dealer and they said the SSM 51415 OTA failed about 5-6 times. So it will go into the shop next Monday for them to do it.

But when I put the bronco to flat toe mode I get the following screens, the brake pedal goes down and it looks like the ABS system is off line. So not sure why it activates and locks up the brakes.

Also, I tried to remote start the bronco one morning in St George, and it did not work. Checked again once home in the shop today and neither remotes will remote start. Will add to my list for Monday.

So question, can you remote start your bronco??

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

Sponsored

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I pickup the bronco this AM. They installed SSM51415 and indicated this update was not successfully installed before. So not sure why the display showed the screens above and why the brake pedal went to sleep right after tow mode was activated. The dealer also told me the ABS module had 60 warnings and looking at the date, it is when I first pulled the fuses on the way to St George and that the traction control system has been disabled since then along with the anti-lock breaking system. So maybe that’s why I had no problems with locking up the bronco brakes after I pulled the fuses. So not sure about pulling the fuses before the next trip or trusting fords flat tow fix. The remote start function was disabled in the setup. No idea how that happened. So any ideas from anyone would be great

Thanks all

SpokaneJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F350 DWR CC 6.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just ordered my 2024 Badlands with 2.7. Pretty sure given that SSM51415 was applied to the 2021-23 model years that it will automatically be applied to 24's as they roll off the assembly line. Would love to hear from any of the 2024 owners as to if they have or hadn't had any brake problems with flat towing Bronco's with the 2.7L
Sponsored