Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might be moving soon a far distance. I'll inevitably have a a large moving truck (i.e. Uhaul) and am curious if I should flat tow or see if the tow dolly they have would work with a Bronco? I don't know if Uhaul even offers the equipment necessary for a Flat tow. I hope to avoid having to fly back and drive the Bronco separately to the new destination (a far distance). Thoughts?
Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Might be moving soon a far distance. I'll inevitably have a a large moving truck (i.e. Uhaul) and am curious if I should flat tow or see if the tow dolly they have would work with a Bronco? I don't know if Uhaul even offers the equipment necessary for a Flat tow. I hope to avoid having to fly back and drive the Bronco separately to the new destination (a far distance). Thoughts?
Read your ownerā€™s manual under recreational towing. I believe it can only be flat towed or trailered. Setting up with everything you need to flat tow is expensive, and no one rents that stuff. Best bet is to rent a trailer also.

6inthefamily

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_2301
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_2300
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_2263

Iā€™m pretty happy with how my flat tow setup turned out.
I ordered by Bronco with the modular bumper, but was required to switch to the capable bumper to get my allocation. So I made a quick swap to the ford performance tow hooks.
Iā€™m using a blue ox alpha 2 tow bar, and universal d ring adapters for the blue ox bar. RVI brake 3 system with an Ankler 521 power station seatbelted in the front seat to provide uninterrupted 12v power to the brake system.

Gen Y hitches makes a nice 10K rated adapter to raise up my hitch for flat towing the Bronco now and can still be used if we lift it more. It also fits a double bike rack between the Rv and Bronco while still allowing tight turning. I had to order longer safety chains and coiled power cord to make this work well. We also mount another couple bikes behind the Bronco on a swing out carrier.
We are getting excited to head to the Keys for Christmas and New Years with the new setup.

Last edited:

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
View attachment 591083
I ordered by Bronco with the modular bumper, but was required to switch to the capable bumper to get my allocation. So I made a quick swap to the ford performance tow hooks.
Iā€™m using a blue ox alpha 2 tow bar, and universal d ring adapters for the blue ox bar. RVI brake 3 system with an Ankler 521 power station seatbelted in the front seat to provide uninterrupted 12v power to the brake system.

Gen Y hitches makes a nice 10K rated adapter to raise up my hitch for flat towing the Bronco now and can still be used if we lift it more. It also fits a double bike rack between the Rv and Bronco while still allowing tight turning. I had to order longer safety chains and coiled power cord to make this work well. We also mount another couple bikes behind the Bronco on a swing out carrier.
We are getting excited to head to the Keys for Christmas and New Years with the new setup.
View attachment 591086

Wet nice set up, not sure if itā€™s just me but two of the attachments wouldnā€™t open.
What RV are you towing the Bronco with?
Enjoy the Keys, great time of the year to be there.
Brian

6inthefamily

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wet nice set up, not sure if itā€™s just me but two of the attachments wouldnā€™t open.
What RV are you towing the Bronco with?
Enjoy the Keys, great time of the year to be there.
Brian
Thanks for the complements and the heads up on the photos. I believe they are fixed now.

Our RV is a 2010 Jayco Seneca 36FS (last year with the pre-DEF 6.6 duramax) We picked it up in June of 2021 with 3700 miles on it and it just rolled 20,000 miles.
Itā€™s our 5th season spending the holidays RVing in the Keys. We love it down there

Sponsored

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the complements and the heads up on the photos. I believe they are fixed now.

Our RV is a 2010 Jayco Seneca 36FS (last year with the pre-DEF 6.6 duramax) We picked it up in June of 2021 with 3700 miles on it and it just rolled 20,000 miles.
Itā€™s our 5th season spending the holidays no RVing in the Keys. We love it down there
I thought it looked like the back of a Jayco.
We have a 2018 Precept 29v gas but are currently looking at getting a diesel pusher .
Been to the keys several times in the nineties with our guard units F-16s to train with the navyā€™s F-18s.
Always a good time.
Brian

Sjk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Did you have to add any additional brackets or just unbolt the loops and bolt on the performance hooks and also have you used it yet and if so how did it work out? Thank you in advance.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Brian,
Further info or link for the "universal D link adapters" please?

6inthefamily

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have to add any additional brackets or just unbolt the loops and bolt on the performance hooks and also have you used it yet and if so how did it work out? Thank you in advance.
The performance hooks bolt right up. The plastic trim cover and a bit of metal on the capable bumper required trimming. If you take your time itā€™s pretty easy.

6inthefamily

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Brian,
Further info or link for the "universal D link adapters" please?
These are the ones I used. I had to pay a machine shop $50 to open them up 1/16 in on each side to make them work with the ford perf hooks.
I have used this setup about 3500 miles with no issues with the tow bar.
I do need to take my bronco to ford and see why my battery is draining while flat towing. I have a 2023 and read that battery drainage was a 21-22 issue that was resolved with a firmware update, but mine has the issue currently.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_2561

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ā€˜69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These are the ones I used. I had to pay a machine shop $50 to open them up 1/16 in on each side to make them work with the ford perf hooks.
I have used this setup about 3500 miles with no issues with the tow bar.
I do need to take my bronco to ford and see why my battery is draining while flat towing. I have a 2023 and read that battery drainage was a 21-22 issue that was resolved with a firmware update, but mine has the issue currently.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_2561
I bought similar adapter and upgraded the pins(below). And bought bronze bushings off eBay to tighten the slack at the bumper on our jeep aftermarket bumper.
https://a.co/d/fiXEFQK.

AUG41

Badlands
First Name
Marcelino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped out - Jim specially.

We got creative and since the bumper was off we decided to see if we couldnā€™t use the holes to fit the 6 pin. My friend is a whiz with this kind of stuff.

Here are the results

So now when I flat tow I just pop off the fascia, when I donā€™t need to flat tow-the whole front end of my badlands looks completely stock.
I am going to do a similar hidden behind fascia mount for the break away switch for my RVI.

IMG_3009.jpeg

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_1174.jpeg

IMG_1173.jpeg

Last edited:

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped out Jim specially.

We got creative and since the bumper was off we decided to see if we couldnā€™t use the holes to fit the 6 pin. My friend is a whiz with this kind of stuff.

Here are the results

So now when I flat tow I just pop off the fascia and when I donā€™t need to the whole front end of my badlands looks completely stock.
I am going to do a similar hidden behind fascia mount for the break away switch for my RVI.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1173

Well done! I assume you are flat towing from your recovery hooks.
Brian

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped out Jim specially.

Here are the results

So now when I flat tow I just pop off the fascia and when I donā€™t need to the whole front end of my badlands looks completely stock.

Nice. The unused sensor holes on my Black Horse after market bumper fit the six pin and breakaway perfectly too!
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20240101_125325

AUG41

Badlands
First Name
Marcelino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nice and tidy

and yes Bsenecal I have the Lode brackets so I can use the recovery hooks.
Sponsored

Last edited: