Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just sent Blue Ox an email. Here's what they said...

Thank you for contacting us,

We do not have a time frame of when we would have it. We are currently looking for a customer who owns one, and is willing to participate in our fit program, and bring us theirs so we can design the baseplate for it. Until we find someone, we won’t have a baseplate. If you own the vehicle, and would be willing to participate in our fit program please let me know. Here are the details of our fit program:

Below is the information about the Blue Ox Fit Program. Fits usually take 5 days and are scheduled for an entire week, Monday – Friday, starting at 8:30 am Monday morning. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thank you.

Baseplate Fit Program

You would come to the Pender, NE facility: One Mill Road Pender, NE 68047

You will receive the following for participating in the program:

• Baseplate – free of charge

• Avail tow bar – free of charge

• Baseplate installation – free of charge

• Wiring kit installation – free of charge

• Receive a 25% discount on the required wiring kit, plus any other Blue Ox product purchased during their stay

• Free stay at the Blue Ox RV Park (Notification needed for site reservation)

• Company car is reserved for use. (No mileage restrictions)

• Optional factory tour

**Please check your vehicle’s owner’s manual or consult a dealer for the proper towing procedures of your vehicle prior to scheduling a baseplate fit for your vehicle.

The fact that Blue OxÂŽ has a baseplate for a particular vehicle does not imply the towability of the vehicle

**If the vehicle has been damaged prior to arrival, Blue Ox reserves the right to refuse the vehicle for the Fit Program**

Thank you
Wow, not a bad deal I'll have to check where Pender NE is and if I could kill 5 days there!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, not a bad deal I'll have to check where Pender NE is and if I could kill 5 days there!!
If only I had a deer tag there...

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I don't think it's in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there. Since I only need a baseplate, not sure if I'm driving to Nebraska. Maybe we can talk somebody from that area into going?

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There may be others with more info, but I'll give it a poke:

1. You will need a TowBar base plate. This is what attaches to the Bronco and accepts the tow bar. Many manufacturers have plates for new Rangers that attach where the base model tow loops attach. They look like they should fit, I have emails out to Curt and Demco (through etrailer about this). Some aftermarket bumpers have shackle mounts, or the shackles on Modular bumper Broncos that may also work. Shackle mounts may be quite high and will require hitch lifts to align properly

2. Tow Bar: Any tow bar with adequate capacity should be fine. There are many with different features. Some are 5000# capacity which would be OK for 2dr lower trims, but marginal or inadequate for an up optioned Bronco. Must be compatible with chosen Base Plate.

3. Tail lights. The Broncos taillights may be able to be used, Requires special wiring using diodes to prevent damage to Bronco electrics. May install auxiliary bulb. Or use an auxiliary set of lights. Some are magnetically attached, but the body/bumper of the Bronco is aluminum/plastic so another attachment method is required.

4. Auxiliary Brakes. A system to utilize the Bronco brakes is required. Some use air from the towing vehicle, but since you are towing with a pick up, you will need an electrically operated one, there are several. I use RVI, Blue Ox and others have systems, none are cheap. Must be properly selected to work with your Bronco, V6 vs 4 cyl brake systems have different types of boost that must be accounted for. With electrically operated you need an always hot 12v outlet in Bronco, there is question if the one in the console is always hot.

The main thing about flat towing is to be very methodical on hook up, setting the towed in the proper mode (transfercase neutral, steering unlocked) watching your 6 and checking hook up, tires, bearings on towed whenever you stop.
In regards to the braking system I use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the surge brake to tow my Jeep LJ.
I find it works great and is cheaper than the electric ones.😎

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't think it's in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from there. Since I only need a baseplate, not sure if I'm driving to Nebraska. Maybe we can talk somebody from that area into going?
I checked out the map. Day and a half drive from here. I have relatives not too far from there, close to the Mo River. If they're still looking for one mid August I'll give it a try. Maybe one of the Granger buyers can do it on their way back though.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well that was my plan, talked to Blue Ox month ago. Will not sign you up until you have your vehicle in your possession. My Out Banks will have been In-Production for 3 wks tomorrow.
I have the modular bumper and there are interested in looking at the shackle brackets on the front for tow hook connection.

On another note, I took a test ride in a Bad Lands with the 2.7 engine (Electronic Brake Boost) this morning and it definitely feels like the Electronic Boost stays on when the engine is turned off.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well that was my plan, talked to Blue Ox month ago. Will not sign you up until you have your vehicle in your possession. My Out Banks will have been In-Production for 3 wks tomorrow.
I have the modular bumper and there are interested in looking at the shackle brackets on the front for tow hook connection.

On another note, I took a test ride in a Bad Lands with the 2.7 engine (Electronic Brake Boost) this morning and it definitely feels like the Electronic Boost stays on when the engine is turned off.
I'm getting non Modular, maybe they can use both of us!! On Rangers they use the tow loop location like the non Mod Broncos have. I'm sure the Modular Bumper has the same bolt locations on the frame, just might require a cut out in the bash plate for the hook up. Or, as you say they could use the shackle mount, my thought is it would be quite high though.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Why don’t people with RVs just buy a trailer for $1500 more and save the wear on the vehicle being drug around?
because of the PIA factor. Also, not Many places to park and leave a trailer at an RV resort

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
dgorsett, I have a high hitch on my motorhome.

swooshdave, its easy you never, never, never try to back up. If you get hung up, you have to disconnect. Not to say I did back up about 20 feet one time very straight and level, watching very closely that the front wheels did turn.

Sponsored

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Hopefully BlueOx or Roadmaster comes out with a hitch that hooks directly to modular bumper tow hooks. Thereby, bypassing the need for a baseplate

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dgorsett, I have a high hitch on my motorhome.

swooshdave, its easy you never, never, never try to back up. If you get hung up, you have to disconnect. Not to say I did back up about 20 feet one time very straight and level, watching very closely that the front wheels did turn.
At least with a tow dolly on the front wheels you should be able to back up, correct? Tow dollies are pretty small and wouldn't take up much space at a camp ground. You could tuck it under the RV almost.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Don’t forget to add TPMS sensors onto the valve stems so you can monitor tire pressure from inside your towing vehicle. A flat tire can cause a lot of damage and even a fire.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
swooshdave, I think it would be like backing a 4 wheel farm wagon, doable but will need a lot of practice and easy does it.
Sponsored