Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
for those who have installed a towed vehicle harness on their Bronco, does the license plate light and 3rd brake light come on?

mine doesn’t.
I called Curt and they wouldn’t even discuss the issue, and told me that I have the wrong harness. That I have the harness for vehicles with LED lights and I have incandescent lights.

i tried and asked if their products operate the license plate and 3rd brake light and they wouldn’t discuss it.

what wonderful customer service!

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I didn't really love any of the mounting option on the modular. It seems to expose the pin connection in places that I didn't like. So my installer mounted it flush on the plate. Here's 2 pics.
I figured it was out of the way and can easily replace the plastic connector if damaged off roading
20220313_113132.jpg
20220313_113153.jpg
I mounted the electrical connector on the non-modular bumper to the back of the license plate bracket that I installed.
I drilled 2 holes in the bumper and inserted jack nuts.

I sleeved the harness with that black ribbed plastic covering.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 9838882B-9205-4E20-8345-FAC15DA42526

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
for those who have installed a towed vehicle harness on their Bronco, does the license plate light and 3rd brake light come on?

mine doesn’t.
I called Curt and they wouldn’t even discuss the issue, and told me that I have the wrong harness. That I have the harness for vehicles with LED lights and I have incandescent lights.

i tried and asked if their products operate the license plate and 3rd brake light and they wouldn’t discuss it.

what wonderful customer service!
I didn't look, and don't care. I'd have to hook the Bronco up again to see. No trip planned for a bit. There is no 3rd brake light requirement for a trailer, and I don't think there is one for the license plate light either. I have a couple trailers with no lights on the license plate. The harness connects directly to the taillight assemblies, so it wouldn't surprise me if the plate and 3rd brake light didn't come on, but I don't actually know.

Gargantua

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M1083A1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand one should not reverse while flat towing. Is there any scenario where a second driver could be in the toad for a reverse procedure where it would be successful in most instances?

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I understand one should not reverse while flat towing. Is there any scenario where a second driver could be in the toad for a reverse procedure where it would be successful in most instances?
I only did it one time a long time ago. Straight back about 15 feet. Wife had her hand on the steering wheel through the window to keep the steering wheel straight and prevent it from spinning. It only take a second to really mess things up. It would be next to impossible to coordinate the steering wheel movement with the back of the motorhome movement.
Just my two cents.

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You can back short distances. Works better on hard pavement, doesn't work well on dirt or gravel surfaces. It's trial and error, you're not really going to hurt anything as long as you stop and don't get it all jacked up.

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have been on the road with my fiancé’s Bronco, towed behind the RV. Working great!
I am now looking for a cover to keep rocks, dirt, etc from chipping the windshield and front end of the Bronco.
I have one source to call, but am putting out a call to see if anyone on this forum has made or purchased one to cover the front end while towing.
Thank you in advance for the replies!

OverDavidLand

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Roadmaster 7-to-6 Wire Flexo-Coil wiring kit Part 146-7
(came with the 6 wire outlet for the Bronco)
https://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/accessories/electrical/cords.php

CURT 58992 RV Towing Harness for 2021 Ford Bronco
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/58992
The CURT towing harness is 4-pin. The Roadmaster is 6 pin. DId you cut and splice the Curt to use 6-pin or something different @AlexSazan?

I am looking at this same set-up and that's the last missing piece of my puzzel.

(Sorry if this gets addressed later in the thread, I am still working my way through all 35 pages.)

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have been on the road with my fiancé’s Bronco, towed behind the RV. Working great!
I am now looking for a cover to keep rocks, dirt, etc from chipping the windshield and front end of the Bronco.
I have one source to call, but am putting out a call to see if anyone on this forum has made or purchased one to cover the front end while towing.
Thank you in advance for the replies!
Always thought this was a good looking shield.
https://rvtoystore.com/product/tow-car-shield/

OverDavidLand

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read through all 35 pages and I didn't see a specific reference to the Blue Ox BX2688 Light Diode kit being successfully installed (Instructions) on a Ford Bronco with LED tail lights.

I am really inexperienced (but learning) and thus don't feel qualified to be a guinea pig.

Thought I would ask directly and see if someone has used that kit on a Bronco with Leds.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I read through all 35 pages and I didn't see a specific reference to the Blue Ox BX2688 Light Diode kit being successfully installed (Instructions) on a Ford Bronco with LED tail lights.

I am really inexperienced (but learning) and thus don't feel qualified to be a guinea pig.

Thought I would ask directly and see if someone has used that kit on a Bronco with Leds.
BX2688 is the part number for the base plate for the Bronco Modular Bumper
BX8848 is the light diode kit.
Here is my post with my install: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...eded-to-flat-tow-the-2021-bronco.19759/page-7
Post #95

OverDavidLand

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, some info on installing the Blue OX BX8848 Tail Light Wiring Kit, Diode. Two pictures and two documents that helped a bunch. One is instructions on removing the tail light assembly and the other is the wire color code.
Thank you for this, not sure how I missed it the first time. I have been pretty religious about going through this entire community reading up everything and anything flat towing related.

Berggie

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have them on. Blue Ox installed them, so can't comment on install. They have worked for 4K miles of towing.
Sponsored