Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

cwik

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
On the modular bumper with factory bash plate the safety hook plate does fit!
My safety hook plate and front bash did bearly touch when the bash is completely tight.
I notched my bash plate about 1/8 inch deep and just the width of the safety chain plate.
As LOD pointed out in a previous post a washer under the bash would get the proper clearance, but I would lose a washer.

Also, the safety hooks fit. Just have to reach under the bumper a little.
1st pic is where everything touched. The next shows with a notch.

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg
A sincere thanks to this thread. I decided to install the LOD frame tie-in brackets in combination with my OEM modular bumper, both to reinforce the tow bar connection and to give me a connection point for safety cables. I had a couple hiccups, mainly that I couldn't get the bumper to fit back on without cutting some notches in the back where the LOD brackets are. I'm not sure if I missed something, but as you can see it wasn't even close to fitting without the notches cut, and even with the notches its a tight fit. It seems like it will work though.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1901
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1916
Sponsored

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, I attempted the Curt kit for the lighting and got fast blinking tail lights on the RV and the front of the bronco, nothing on the back. Before I messed up anything, I just went with the wireless lighting from Amazon, and they're working great!

Setup is:
TOAD: 2022 Bronco Badlands 2.7l Automatic
RV: 2019 Newmar Dutch Star Spartan Chassis
Towbar: Roadmaster Nighthawk All-terrain 8K RM-676
Modular Bumper Adapters: Roadmaster RM-035-1
Braking: Roadmaster Brakemaster RM-9160
Wireless lighting: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0936C6SCZ?

I did need to rework the factory air connectors on the Dutch Star to fit a 3/8" automotive pneumatic lines, which made me also need to change the (bus side) air hose connector. Works great. People that tell you you cannot use anything but the Air Force One are incorrect, other than the physical connection needed a trip to Lowes to marry them up.

With this setup I do not need to use the 7-way connector, so have a jackery trickle charging the battery on the drive.

309453560_1149194095685913_4074397647544095478_n.jpg

Wkm01

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just completed installation of my Blue Ox base plate and associated battery charge line and taillight and diode installation. Completed my first tow - total of 1000 miles over a few days. Everything worked well. Followed the instructions in TSB 22-2210 for the electronic brake boost fuses. Thought I would send a pic of my installation. I think it worked out well and integrates nicely into the front bumper area. Have one more item to do to complete the install - install wire weave wrap over the wires leaving the back of the electrical connection to hide and protect them a bit better.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Blue Ox Install

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

FWIW, I attempted the Curt kit for the lighting and got fast blinking tail lights on the RV and the front of the bronco, nothing on the back. Before I messed up anything, I just went with the wireless lighting from Amazon, and they're working great!

Setup is:

I did need to rework the factory air connectors on the Dutch Star to fit a 3/8" automotive pneumatic lines, which made me also need to change the (bus side) air hose connector. Works great. People that tell you you cannot use anything but the Air Force One are incorrect, other than the physical connection needed a trip to Lowes to marry them up.

With this setup I do not need to use the 7-way connector, so have a jackery trickle charging the battery on the drive.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Blue Ox Install
Where did you place the lights that the magnets worked?

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where did you place the lights that the magnets worked?
The bumper. Worked great!

For peace of mind, I ordered 30" velco straps to make sure the lights don't fall off, but they stuck pretty well without them over a couple hour drive. The individual lights have a U bracket on the back of them that has the magnet attached to it. It would accept the velco strap easily.

309631065_1433510830461532_2932179490946845170_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Diff Whack

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Explorer, 13 Edge, 00 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This might be a dumb question, but what keeps the factory brake lights from cancelling out the turn signal(shared brake light) when using a braking system that depresses the brake?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This might be a dumb question, but what keeps the factory brake lights from cancelling out the turn signal(shared brake light) when using a braking system that depresses the brake?
Nothing. Some Aux Brake manufacture sell relays to disable the tow vehicle brake lights.
The motorhome turn signals will continue to flash.

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The bumper. Worked great!

For peace of mind, I ordered 30" velco straps to make sure the lights don't fall off, but they stuck pretty well without them over a couple hour drive. The individual lights have a U bracket on the back of them that has the magnet attached to it. It would accept the velco strap easily.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 309631065_1433510830461532_2932179490946845170_n
Update. Since we are also taking our fat tire e-bikes tomorrow on a Kuat rack and cover, all lights were 100% covered. Used the same Velcro straps I mentioned and placed lights on top left and right. This also works great, if we are taking bikes.

PXL_20221014_225200358.jpg

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nothing. Some Aux Brake manufacture sell relays to disable the tow vehicle brake lights.
The motorhome turn signals will continue to flash.
I bought that brake light switch relay and attempted to install it. It was the final factor to skipping wired and going wireless. After taking apart the lower dash, and no apparent access to the brake light switch, I gave up. It is waaaayy up behind the instrument cluster. F that.

Sponsored

AZWildTrak

Wildtrak
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Setup is:

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? PXL_20221016_213419434~2
Ini, the RM-035-1 adapters connect directly to the bumper tow points so no mods to the bumper?

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
980 Miles over the last two days, zero issues and safely at Yosemite. Heading into the park tomorrow, then off-roading on Tuesday.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? PXL_20221016_213419434~2
Nice Bronco and Dutch Star, good to hear flat towing is going well.
Is that a motorcycle on a carrier in back of the Bronco?
Brian

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice Bronco and Dutch Star, good to hear flat towing is going well.
Is that a motorcycle on a carrier in back of the Bronco?
Brian
It's two fat tire e-bikes. Between the length of the coach, the hitch, the bronco and the bikes, she's a large package!

These incredibly twisty roads out by Yosemite were insane, all hooked up! 😂

Last edited:

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ini, the RM-035-1 adapters connect directly to the bumper tow points so no mods to the bumper?
None whatsoever. There's a separate thread I made showing how they fit to the modular bumper. 👍

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's two far tire e-bikes. Between the length of the coach, the hitch, the bronco and the bikes, she's a large package!

These incredibly twisty roads out by Yosemite were insane, all hooked up! 😂
Nice set up, that’s what we are looking for in a few years after my wife retires ( and when we act get our Bronco we ordered over a year ago).
Enjoy.
Brian
Sponsored

Reactions: lni