Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Had a long conversation with a nice lady at Blue OX yesterday. They will start building the base plate for the HD modular bumper next week. She is going to send me the installation instructions on monday after they are released to the distributors. The way she explained the installation to me, the shackle brackets are removed and the new Blue Ox base plates will bolt in with the same bolts plus some bolts into the frame. No more shackle brackets.
They are not going to build an adapter to fit the Bronco shackle brackets because Ford will not give them the load specs on the shackle bracket.
Now with that all said, I just order my complete brake system and I'm going to use a Blue OX BX88357 adapter (7/8" pin) and have them machined out to fit the Ford shackle brackets. My feeling is, if those brackets are strong enough to be used as recover points they can handle the load of flat towing.
Interesting. I think you'll be good.

I have the standard bumper and my Blue Ox Base plate from etrailer is supposed to arrive today. It will go into the growing pile in the garage until my Bronco arrives.

Side note. I would think the Blue Ox Base Plate should work with the mod bumper, maybe with some skid plate trimming. Although the Mod Bumper does not have the tow loops like the standard I would bet the frame still has the threaded inserts where they and the Blue Ox plate mount.

EDIT: My Blue Ox baseplate for the standard bumper arrived. Man this sucker is stout! I hope i don't drop them on my face when bolting up!!! The set up has got me dreaming about utilizing them for a detachable winch mount.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Had a long conversation with a nice lady at Blue OX yesterday. They will start building the base plate for the HD modular bumper next week. She is going to send me the installation instructions on monday after they are released to the distributors. The way she explained the installation to me, the shackle brackets are removed and the new Blue Ox base plates will bolt in with the same bolts plus some bolts into the frame. No more shackle brackets.
They are not going to build an adapter to fit the Bronco shackle brackets because Ford will not give them the load specs on the shackle bracket.
Now with that all said, I just order my complete brake system and I'm going to use a Blue OX BX88357 adapter (7/8" pin) and have them machined out to fit the Ford shackle brackets. My feeling is, if those brackets are strong enough to be used as recover points they can handle the load of flat towing.
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply!

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone heard of baseplate availability for -
Front Bumper - Ford Performance Heavy-Duty Modular ?
Well Iā€™m test fitting the Roadmaster 035-1 adapter On mod bumper. Iā€™m new to flat towing and using a hand-me-down tow bar from my dad. But to my untrained eye it appears to fit well. A little play. The adapter comes with a 1ā€ sleeve that doesnā€™t fit inside hole without widening.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? C6855FF7-E19E-4907-8046-D53F219DE17F
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 82F954BF-8D75-4778-A715-E2D0C0A4D90C
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 9EB7D32B-FC1F-4082-92E1-6AEE6E22E97B

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well Iā€™m test fitting the Roadmaster 035-1 adapter On mod bumper. Iā€™m new to flat towing and using a hand-me-down tow bar from my dad. But to my untrained eye it appears to fit well. A little play. The adapter comes with a 1ā€ sleeve that doesnā€™t fit inside hole without widening.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 9EB7D32B-FC1F-4082-92E1-6AEE6E22E97B
Looks clean & solid. I should be finally getting my 2 Dr FE in the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the info!

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Blue Ox baseplate for the standard bumper arrived. Man this sucker is stout! I hope I don't drop them on my face when bolting up!!! The set up has got me dreaming about utilizing them for a detachable winch mount.

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I saw the Blue Ox plate for the Mod bumper on their site. Are we sure that we can't just use a D-ring adapter? I'd hate to lose the tow points.

Rgarrison58

Wildtrak
First Name
Roberta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
[/QUOTE

Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

What do the safety cables attach to? I have a Roadmaster tow bar, do you know if those adapters go on any Roadmaster tow bar?

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What do the safety cables attach to? I have a Roadmaster tow bar, do you know if those adapters go on any Roadmaster tow bar?
I donā€™t have a safety cable solution yet. I believe they do fit all roadmaster but call 1-800-669-9690 to confirm. Very helpful customer service

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t have a safety cable solution yet. I believe they do fit all roadmaster but call 1-800-669-9690 to confirm. Very helpful customer service
Arenā€˜t there two sets of holes on each of the stock Ford brackets that come with the modular bumper? If so and if your Roadmaster adapters are installed in the top hole then it seems the bottom hole could be used to attach the safety cables.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands