Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting - they replace the shackle mounts so you loose tow points unless the hole for the safety cable can be used....
You loose the tow points on the standard bumper version also. I have thought of using the safety cable anchor point or getting 1/2' shackle on the Blue Ox hitch points, neither would be as beefy as the factory tow points
Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I prefer to connect the safety cables farther back on the frame. The last two installs I did I used large eye bolts attached to the frame. Don't like to connect to anything that could come loose or break.

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well I’m test fitting the Roadmaster 035-1 adapter On mod bumper. I’m new to flat towing and using a hand-me-down tow bar from my dad. But to my untrained eye it appears to fit well. A little play. The adapter comes with a 1” sleeve that doesn’t fit inside hole without widening.
C6855FF7-E19E-4907-8046-D53F219DE17F.jpeg
82F954BF-8D75-4778-A715-E2D0C0A4D90C.jpeg
9EB7D32B-FC1F-4082-92E1-6AEE6E22E97B.jpeg
Doing it this way makes so much sense to me. When you say "The adapter comes with a 1” sleeve that doesn’t fit inside hole without widening" does that imply that you had to drill out the shackle holes? Thanks for posting this!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I prefer to connect the safety cables farther back on the frame. The last two installs I did I used large eye bolts attached to the frame. Don't like to connect to anything that could come loose or break.
The Blue ox set up (for std bumper) comes with a cable to loop around the frame and quick link to the base plate. That said each half is bolted to the frame with 4 - 1/2" or 12mm bolts, loctited, so it should never go anywhere.

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Doing it this way makes so much sense to me. When you say "The adapter comes with a 1” sleeve that doesn’t fit inside hole without widening" does that imply that you had to drill out the shackle holes? Thanks for posting this!
I didn’t drill out shackle holes yet. However, I believe it might fit tighter to drill out holes and slide in sleeve. But I had an idea. Because the sleeve and pin have some play I may cut the sleeve lengthwise. Then slide sleeve into un drilled Mod bumper shackle mount. If the pin and sleeve fit it “should” really tight up the slight play. I will try it and post my results…

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn’t drill out shackle holes yet. However, I believe it might fit tighter to drill out holes and slide in sleeve. But I had an idea. Because the sleeve and pin have some play I may cut the sleeve lengthwise. Then slide sleeve into un drilled Mod bumper shackle mount. If the pin and sleeve fit it “should” really tight up the slight play. I will try it and post my results…
I've towed a lot of stuff over the past 20 years but like you I’m new to flat towing but I don’t think a ”little play” is a problem. What’s the diameter of the holes in the bumper and the pin that came with the Roadmaster Adapters?

I ask because Roadmaster states the adapter will work with either 7/8” or 1” holes so per them a little play would be okay. See below in bold from Roadmaster’s website:

The 035, 035-1 and 035-G2 allow you to connect ROADMASTER motorhome-mounted tow bars to popular offroad vehicles. The bumper mounts can have either a 7/8" or a 1" diameter hole.​
035 — for bumper mounts that are ¾" thick.
035-1 — for bumper mounts that are 1" thick.
035-G2— for 1” thick mounts that need extended reach (such as Smittybilt Gen2 bumpers)

Along with a few others I’ve got a Badlands on order, need to switch to MY2022 and trying to decide between the formerly standard modular bumper and the capable bumper which is now standard on 2022 Badlands. I really like where you’re headed with the Roadmaster adapter and the modular bumper so trying to confirm it’ll work before paying a possible upgrade charge for that.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have started my build up. OBX with Modular bumper. Going to replace the outside bolt on each front crash bar with a 1/2" eye bolt. I put a little weld on the eye to help it stay closed and put a few more threads on the bolt to get the eye closer to the nut.
Parts list: Blue OX BX7420 Avail Towbar, BX88357 Off Road Adapter - 7/8" Diameter (to be machined to fit shackle brackets) and a BX8848 lighting kit. For braking a Brake Buddy Stealth (third install), will not need the vacuum pump because my Bronco as electric brake boost.
Pictures to follow.

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
So my "in the meantime" ride I decided to do an at home install and make my own tow bar. The liberty ways alot less than the bronco so I won't be doing this when I get it but I learned a ton about flat towing set up making this.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20210907_184449

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20210907_195001

20210907_194258.jpg

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have started my build up. OBX with Modular bumper. Going to replace the outside bolt on each front crash bar with a 1/2" eye bolt. I put a little weld on the eye to help it stay closed and put a few more threads on the bolt to get the eye closer to the nut.
Parts list: Blue OX BX7420 Avail Towbar, BX88357 Off Road Adapter - 7/8" Diameter (to be machined to fit shackle brackets) and a BX8848 lighting kit. For braking a Brake Buddy Stealth (third install), will not need the vacuum pump because my Bronco as electric brake boost.
Pictures to follow.
any chance you would be willing to walk me thru theelectric brake boost process?

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've towed a lot of stuff over the past 20 years but like you I’m new to flat towing but I don’t think a ”little play” is a problem. What’s the diameter of the holes in the bumper and the pin that came with the Roadmaster Adapters?

I ask because Roadmaster states the adapter will work with either 7/8” or 1” holes so per them a little play would be okay. See below in bold from Roadmaster’s website:

The 035, 035-1 and 035-G2 allow you to connect ROADMASTER motorhome-mounted tow bars to popular offroad vehicles. The bumper mounts can have either a 7/8" or a 1" diameter hole.​
035 — for bumper mounts that are ¾" thick.
035-1 — for bumper mounts that are 1" thick.
035-G2— for 1” thick mounts that need extended reach (such as Smittybilt Gen2 bumpers)

Along with a few others I’ve got a Badlands on order, need to switch to MY2022 and trying to decide between the formerly standard modular bumper and the capable bumper which is now standard on 2022 Badlands. I really like where you’re headed with the Roadmaster adapter and the modular bumper so trying to confirm it’ll work before paying a possible upgrade charge for that.
Without precise measuring tool, I’m pretty confident the mod bumper shackle mount hole measures 15/16”. i did read towmasters description and the play when mounted Is probably totally fine to run. My mind just wants it to be solId and trouble free, lol. If that makes sense. I have to say this thread is refreshing. Rest of this forum is quite toxic lately

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So my "in the meantime" ride I decided to do an at home install and make my own tow bar. The liberty ways alot less than the bronco so I won't be doing this when I get it but I learned a ton about flat towing set up making this.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20210907_194258

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20210907_194258

Some day I will have a shop like you. I love it!

icd70

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I flat tow my bronco is the odometer going to rack up miles?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ok some answers:
kylesredapple, the Bronco,s with the 2.7 V6 have electric brake boost and the 2.3 I4 have vacuum boost. The electric boost uses a servo motor for the power brake assist which stays active all the time. Same as the new F150's

72BroncoSand, the modular bumper shackle mount hole is a 7/8" clearance hole (.9062" or 29/32").

icd70, the odometer is electronic, so I'm assuming it does not.

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok some answers:
kylesredapple, the Bronco,s with the 2.7 V6 have electric brake boost and the 2.3 I4 have vacuum boost. The electric boost uses a servo motor for the power brake assist which stays active all the time.
Ok I have the 2.3L Manual. so it has a vacuum boost. Does this mean I will need a specific brake boost kit?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Depends on the brake system you choice. Some require the power brake to be active when towing and some do not. With vacuum boost the system will include a vacuum pump to supply the vacuum when the engine is not running. Electric brake boost is kinda new and must be know when buying a brake system. All electric cars have it.
Sponsored