Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 F150 4x4 SB, 16 f150, 15 powerstroke,94 Honda A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Depends on the brake system you choice. Some require the power brake to be active when towing and some do not. With vacuum boost the system will include a vacuum pump to supply the vacuum when the engine is not running. Electric brake boost is kinda new and must be know when buying a brake system. All electric cars have it.
Thanks. I did not use any brake assist system with the liberty and my f350 didn't notice it was back there but I'm quite certain the Bronco will be a different story. thanks for the insight its much appreciated.
Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Tow Bar safety cable connection points. Finished installing the eye hooks this morning. Not plug and play as I though. Nuts on the bolts holding the front crash bar are welded to the frame. So had to remove and drill them out to 1/2". Added a bit of rubber hose to the edge of the bash plate to keep from rubbing the edge.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Nut before
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? nut after cut
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Hooked front 1
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Hooked front 2

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok I have the 2.3L Manual. so it has a vacuum boost. Does this mean I will need a specific brake boost kit?
As grtharris says, it depends on your auxiliary brake system. I use the RVI and it actually uses no boost and works well with vacuum because you cycle it three times at set up to bleed off vacuum. Bottom line: research what type of aux braking you're considering and be sure it's compatible with your Bronco.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks. I did not use any brake assist system with the liberty and my f350 didn't notice it was back there but I'm quite certain the Bronco will be a different story. thanks for the insight its much appreciated.
I used to tow without an aux brake. I noticed myself pushing yellow lights to avoid quick stops. So aside from legalities, it made me do stupid stuff. The couple times I've had to stop quick now with the brake make me realize how important it is.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK, some info on installing the Blue OX BX8848 Tail Light Wiring Kit, Diode. Two pictures and two documents that helped a bunch. One is instructions on removing the tail light assembly and the other is the wire color code.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Left Side

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? Right Side

Attachments

Sponsored

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Without precise measuring tool, I’m pretty confident the mod bumper shackle mount hole measures 15/16”. i did read towmasters description and the play when mounted Is probably totally fine to run. My mind just wants it to be solId and trouble free, lol. If that makes sense. I have to say this thread is refreshing. Rest of this forum is quite toxic lately
I received my
Without precise measuring tool, I’m pretty confident the mod bumper shackle mount hole measures 15/16”. i did read towmasters description and the play when mounted Is probably totally fine to run. My mind just wants it to be solId and trouble free, lol. If that makes sense. I have to say this thread is refreshing. Rest of this forum is quite toxic lately
I received my 035-1 adapters the other day and everything you've been saying now makes total sense. I took them, along with my Badlands, to a local machine shop to ask their opinion on what I should do:
1) drill the shackle mount holes to 1" to match the included bushing
2) try and find an even thinner bushing to match the roughly 15/16 hole on the shackle mount
3) just run the adapters with the 7/8 pin and a little slop
The guy said he has a ton of experience towing heavy vehicles and the play using the 7/8 pin is absolutely not a problem. So, I'm going with option 3 and will let you know once I get all the bits together. Thank you very much for coming up with this! It really seems like the least painful option out there for a mod bumper.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
yourbudjim sounds like a great plan.
Will pickup my Blue Ox adapters from the machine shop tomorrow and hopefully have my Bronco back from the paint shop on Thursday. Will send pictures after I put it all together.

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Of all the stuff on B6G, this thread is one of the best. Appreciate you guys blazing the trail and sharing what works. We just got our first RV this summer and want to set it up for flat towing the Bronco when it comes in. I will probably do exactly whatever you guys come up with

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OK, some info on installing the Blue OX BX8848 Tail Light Wiring Kit, Diode. Two pictures and two documents that helped a bunch. One is instructions on removing the tail light assembly and the other is the wire color code.

Great information, thanks for sharing it! I've been flat towing my Bronco with drag lights because I've been hesitant to start cutting into the harness to install the diode kit. This info is helpful as I decide whether to continue holding out for a plug-and-play umbilical kit from Ford or other aftermarket company, or bite the bullet and install one of these universal kits.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_0445.JPG

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Blue Ox tow bar setup. Opened the BX88357 adapters up to 1.18" which gives a good 1/32" clearness on each side. I have new up arrow decals coming, got messed in the mill clamp

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 1.JPG

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 2.JPG

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 3.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Blue Ox tow bar setup. Opened the BX88357 adapters up to 1.18" which gives a good 1/32" clearness on each side. I have new up arrow decals coming, got messed in the mill clamp

That looks so clean! Fantastic really! My bronco is on the train to my dealer. I can't wait to do this. I don't have your bumper tho. mine is the stock one.

OP
OP
kylesredapple

kylesredapple

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I watched @Dusty YouTube videos on his very clever fabrication for the adapters in the basic bumper. I think I'm going to do almost the exact same thing for the adaptors and then use the Blue Ox that you pictured. Dusty actually gave me a little inspiration for a bumper mod so I can put my winch on. Ill make a video and post my process like Dusty did once my Bronco is in my shop!

pstroke

Badlands
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX2 CC, 21 MachE FE, 21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that Curt has an adapter for their tow bar on the modular bumper recovery points, feel much better about using the Roadmaster adapters.
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20211110_193413
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20211110_193423
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20211110_193430

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I watched @Dusty YouTube videos on his very clever fabrication for the adapters in the basic bumper. I think I'm going to do almost the exact same thing for the adaptors and then use the Blue Ox that you pictured. Dusty actually gave me a little inspiration for a bumper mod so I can put my winch on. Ill make a video and post my process like Dusty did once my Bronco is in my shop!
Save yourself some hassle and buy some of those tabs already made from @Oscargrouch323. His are similar to mine but better workmanship LOL. He sells them in This Thread.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20211030_122827

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20211030_123555 (1)