Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

stbanning

Badlands
First Name
sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 platinum, mazdaspeed miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any new information on the 2.7 electric assist turning off after a time? Finally getting everything piece together bought an rvi brake 3 but I'm nervous that the issue with assist shutting off after I start towing
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That makes great sense. I purchased the RVI towed vehicle charger, but I guess I'll have to test drive to see if the outlet remains powered. My guess is that it'll time out in line with the brake boost and then I'll have to do exactly what you've done.
I ran 12v directly from the Bronco battery to power my RVI to get around the time out issue. I've towed quite a bit with the RVI and never got close to discharging the towed battery. It only uses a tiny bit of power when not braking and braking is rare.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ran 12v directly from the Bronco battery to power my RVI to get around the time out issue. I've towed quite a bit with the RVI and never got close to discharging the towed battery. It only uses a tiny bit of power when not braking and braking is rare.
I think he’s more referring to the fact that the 2.7 power brake assist is electrically powered but times out with ignition off.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, the time outs are on the 2.7 brakes ABS, EBB and HCU and 12V power plugs. The posts on the positive side of the battery always stay hot. On a side note do not connect anything to the negative post including charging or jumper cables they need to go to chassis ground. There is a shunt at the negative post connector.
Still working on the Bronco 2.7 Brake issue (well an issue to me anyway). It appears there are a couple of portable units that are kinda usable. The key is begin able to change the unit pressure setting from active to passive brake system from the motorhome while driving. The NSA Ready Brute system may also work waiting feed back.
The key is the supplemental brake system must have enough power to work without brake assist but be adjustable from the motorhome to work with brake assist at the start.
Got a couple of Ford people working on it, no answers yet, just this is how it works.
Hope this makes some sense.

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those of us needing a full time power source for braking devices inside the vehicle. You can tap into the inside fuse box #29 with a Micro 2 tap. #29 is a spare with constant power, then connect a cigarette lighter socket.

I have inserted a pic of the Micro 2 tap.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? D2AA18D1-0681-491C-B63C-5A1E56CE44A3

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For those of us needing a full time power source for braking devices inside the vehicle. You can tap into the inside fuse box #29 with a Micro 2 tap. #29 is a spare with constant power, then connect a cigarette lighter socket.

I have inserted a pic of the Micro 2 tap.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? D2AA18D1-0681-491C-B63C-5A1E56CE44A3
Good to know, bookmarked. I already ran from battery, so I'll leave it for now, but I usually do better the second time

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stumbled into this thread. I am interested in flat towing my Black Diamond. I stuck with the standard capable bumper......does anyone know if you can still flat tow with this bumper?

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stumbled into this thread. I am interested in flat towing my Black Diamond. I stuck with the standard capable bumper......does anyone know if you can still flat tow with this bumper?
You should work your way through the posts on this thread, because everything you'll need to know has been covered here. Short answer is that there are a few options out there to flat tow with your bumper.

CCMH

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, the time outs are on the 2.7 brakes ABS, EBB and HCU and 12V power plugs. The posts on the positive side of the battery always stay hot. On a side note do not connect anything to the negative post including charging or jumper cables they need to go to chassis ground. There is a shunt at the negative post connector.
Still working on the Bronco 2.7 Brake issue (well an issue to me anyway). It appears there are a couple of portable units that are kinda usable. The key is begin able to change the unit pressure setting from active to passive brake system from the motorhome while driving. The NSA Ready Brute system may also work waiting feed back.
The key is the supplemental brake system must have enough power to work without brake assist but be adjustable from the motorhome to work with brake assist at the start.
Got a couple of Ford people working on it, no answers yet, just this is how it works.
Hope this makes some sense.
What is your confidence level that Ford will address the electronic booster issue anytime soon? I ordered the bronco 2.7 to flat tow with the Air Force One braking system. I called my dealer today to change to the 2.3 engine, and they informed me that I'm scheduled for March 21st, and I can't make any changes. So good news / bad news. Of course no email from Ford and the backdoor status is still showing not scheduled.

Sponsored

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
You should work your way through the posts on this thread, because everything you'll need to know has been covered here. Short answer is that there are a few options out there to flat tow with your bumper.
I've been watching this thread since the beginning and actually asked the same question about the capable bumper but nobody knew yet, only the Mod and plastic bumper have parts for them. Did I miss something?

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As far as I know, you will be the first with a MY 2022 "Capable Bumper".

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been watching this thread since the beginning and actually asked the same question about the capable bumper but nobody knew yet, only the Mod and plastic bumper have parts for them. Did I miss something?
My apologies, but I assumed the plastic bumper baseplates would be interchangeable with the capable bumper. Maybe a call to Blue Ox as they seem to be the quickest to figure out new stuff.

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My apologies, but I assumed the plastic bumper baseplates would be interchangeable with the capable bumper. Maybe a call to Blue Ox as they seem to be the quickest to figure out new stuff.
If you go back about 15 to 20 pages, you'll find the info from Blue Ox about them using your vehicle to measure a base plate for flat-towing.
Sponsored