First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Lariat, 2006 Harley Ultra, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Updated with confirmation from Ford that the new 2021 Bronco can be flat towed.

Yes. Bronco has been engineered to be flat-towed. - Mike Levine (Ford)

Original post:

First, I have been lurking a while, decided to sign up this morning to join the conversation, and ask some questions along the way.

So does anyone have thoughts or ideas as to whether or not the new Bronco will be able to be towed 4 down (as in behind a motorhome)?

This is a huge sales feature for the Jeeps, and I have been looking at the new Gladiator for this very reason. But since coming across this forum, and doing more research on the new Bronco, I am excited and hoping it will have that capability. I know the 4wd F-150's are able to be towed 4 down.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I can’t see why it wouldn’t be able to. As you said, current Ford trucks can and the Wrangler can, so it would be pretty dumb for the Bronco to not have that capability

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
First, I have been lurking a while, decided to sign up this morning to join the conversation, and ask some questions along the way.

So does anyone have thoughts or ideas as to whether or not the new Bronco will be able to be towed 4 down (as in behind a motorhome)?

This is a huge sales feature for the Jeeps, and I have been looking at the new Gladiator for this very reason. But since coming across this forum, and doing more research on the new Bronco, I am excited and hoping it will have that capability. I know the 4wd F-150's are able to be towed 4 down.
When flat towing (4 down), are you putting the transmission in park/gear, and the tcase in neutral? On long cross-country flat tows, I used to disconnect and tie up the driveshaft, as added insurance to avoid issues. In terms of your situation, are you concerned mainly about oil starvation on some bearings and stuff like that, or inability to adequately decouple the drive-train?

Jeka

First Name
Jeka
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Max
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

I think this feature comes with 2-speed transfer case - at least that was a prerequisite for my Expedition for flat tow. I've never done that though, but that's described in the owner's manual.

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The most important part (I think) about the towing the Jeep is that it doesn't have a locking steering column (you can take the keys out) and you can manually put the transfer case in neutral w/ the transmission in park to keep the shaft from spinning.

I want to do the same thing for the Bronco (pull it behind my future RV) and I've only considered Jeep for years when I buy my because of its capabilities as a "toad". I hope the Bronco can compete.

EDIT:

Not having a electronic/rotating knob for the transmission is a good sign it will also have a manual transfer case... at least that what I'm hoping.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
JJBulldawg

JJBulldawg

Base
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Lariat, 2006 Harley Ultra, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
When flat towing (4 down), are you putting the transmission in park/gear, and the tcase in neutral? On long cross-country flat tows, I used to disconnect and tie up the driveshaft, as added insurance to avoid issues. In terms of your situation, are you concerned mainly about oil starvation on some bearings and stuff like that, or inability to adequately decouple the drive-train?
It is mainly (for me and most) about ease of towing. Simple process, all done internally, inside the vehicle (read: not crawling under the vehicle) without concern of drivetrain damage. Jeeps have always been at the top of the "toad" list because they are easy and made to shift the transfer case into neutral.

With jeeps, trans goes in park and transfer case goes into neutral. (There are several more steps, but that is the end result)

For F150's the process is as follows:

Simply press the engine start/stop button without pressing the brake pedal. Once it is blinking green, press the brake pedal and turn the 4WD mode selector switch the 2H, and shift the transmission to neutral. Once it is in neutral, shift the 4WD mode selector switch from 2H to 4L five times within seven seconds.

If you have done this process correctly, you’ll get a message on the instrument cluster telling you that neutral tow has been enabled and to leave the transmission in neutral. If there is a key, turn it as far as it will go towards the off position.

To disable neutral tow, press the start/stop button, hold the brake, and shift back into park from neutral. You’ll receive a message that neutral tow has been disabled.

As has been mentioned, hopefully Ford has taken this into account as well and ensured this a feature of the vehicle. What a sweet ride to have behind the motorhome once you arrive at your destination!

If it has that feature, and will tow at least 5K pounds.... I AM IN!

TorontoGuy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Edge
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Transfer case neutral will most likely be a menu option or “secret” button combination like it’s been on the F150.
For sure. Ford wouldn't advertise the Bronco as an adventurers dream without having the ability to be flat towed behind an RV. As Superds said, it's probably a sequence to get the t-case into neutral. I believe my brother's F-150 the sequence is hold the brake, switch to 2H (or 2L, I can't remember) a few times, leave the transmission in Neutral, turn off the key.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

20 TO 30 % OF jEEPS are towed behind. To big a market to ignore. My wife's 2012 F150 can be pulled by a tow vehicle.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
As long as it has a 2 speed transfer case you can.
You 'might' in other situations as well, but a 2x transfer makes it a done deal.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would like to see what would happen if you did that procedure, but left the trans in park.

ALL my other trucks that I have ever flat towed, have been transmission in Park, Transfer case in Neutral.

It is mainly (for me and most) about ease of towing. Simple process, all done internally, inside the vehicle (read: not crawling under the vehicle) without concern of drivetrain damage. Jeeps have always been at the top of the "toad" list because they are easy and made to shift the transfer case into neutral.

With jeeps, trans goes in park and transfer case goes into neutral. (There are several more steps, but that is the end result)

For F150's the process is as follows:

Simply press the engine start/stop button without pressing the brake pedal. Once it is blinking green, press the brake pedal and turn the 4WD mode selector switch the 2H, and shift the transmission to neutral. Once it is in neutral, shift the 4WD mode selector switch from 2H to 4L five times within seven seconds.

If you have done this process correctly, you’ll get a message on the instrument cluster telling you that neutral tow has been enabled and to leave the transmission in neutral. If there is a key, turn it as far as it will go towards the off position.

To disable neutral tow, press the start/stop button, hold the brake, and shift back into park from neutral. You’ll receive a message that neutral tow has been disabled.

As has been mentioned, hopefully Ford has taken this into account as well and ensured this a feature of the vehicle. What a sweet ride to have behind the motorhome once you arrive at your destination!

If it has that feature, and will tow at least 5K pounds.... I AM IN!

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm sure the Bronco will have this feature. My problem is it sounds rather tedious and unsure. With a stick shifted T case it's a no brainer (good for me). Also, how does the steering column unlock with keyless ignition? On my LJ I have to turn the key to the "unlock" but not "on" position.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford confirms flat towing with the "4x4 with Part Time Selectable Engagement" on https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/2021/

...but I haven't found confirmation for the higher-end "Advanced 4x4 with Automatic On Demand Engagement"
Yes the standard case description emphasizes it has a Neutral and is flat towable, the advanced does not specify

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I can put my 19 F150 10spd 4x4 in flat tow mode so I am sure it will be the same
Sponsored