First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some (like me) prefer to flat tow, others prefer to haul a trailer plus the Toad. There are pros and cons to either. I’m just glad Ford recognized the number of RV’ers who flat tow their vehicles and engineered the capability into the Bronco.
it takes 0 engineering. Simple rule.
If it has a transfer case. it can be flat towed.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
What do I need to buy to flat tow a Bronco.

Does the bumper need to be replaced? Will what ever is added to the front change the approach angel?

Any suggestions from people who flat tow behind a RV?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What do I need to buy to flat tow a Bronco.

Does the bumper need to be replaced? Will what ever is added to the front change the approach angel?

Any suggestions from people who flat tow behind a RV?
Blue Ox and others will have tow bars available in no time. About $1000. Probably won't have to change bumper (they bolt to the frame). Or you can rig a $100 Reece like mine. Approach angle change will be negligible.

An auxiliary brake unit is about $1100. Then lights $10-100.

Then all you need to do is learn the song and dance to shift to neutral in the Transfer case and unlock the steering

elfshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Liberty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm glad to see this thread! No RV yet, but my wife and I have been talking about it. I currently have a Jeep that we could flat tow but wasn't sure about the Bronco. So glad to see that it will likely be able to be flat towed.

I already told my wife - Moab - here we come!!! :D

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is flat towing possible with all Bronco front bumper selections?
Tow bar would not bolt to the bumper it would attach to the frame, either at tow hook locations or elsewhere. Bumper should be irrelevant other than some trimming. It will be up to the aftermarket to design brackets, hopefully they are universal for all trims.

PoppyTim

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the info! Ready to build mine as soon as Ford releases the accessory info and pricing. Fired up!!

PoppyTim

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tow bar would not bolt to the bumper it would attach to the frame, either at tow hook locations or elsewhere. Bumper should be irrelevant other than some trimming. It will be up to the aftermarket to design brackets, hopefully they are universal for all trims.
We 4 down tow our Jeep so I really didn’t think Ford would not have this available

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Flat Tow New Bronco (Yes, Confirmed) 1597435735150

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'd like to see if the frame has good attachment points for a base plate or bumper that's beefy enough to support flat towing. It' looks like the Jeep JL bumpers don't really attach to the frame well. It would be interesting to see if Ford solves this problem elegantly.

Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd like to see if the frame has good attachment points for a base plate or bumper that's beefy enough to support flat towing. It' looks like the Jeep JL bumpers don't really attach to the frame well. It would be interesting to see if Ford solves this problem elegantly.
The bumper on a JL and JT bolts directly to the end of each frame rail with 8 bolts, four for each rail.

Don’t know how you’d get much more beefy than that. ?‍♂

Ford Bronco Flat Tow New Bronco (Yes, Confirmed) D8A5D232-71D2-45AB-9E9B-D340DA1F3418
Ford Bronco Flat Tow New Bronco (Yes, Confirmed) 091A3389-176E-41BA-8206-6BE70FAA5A50

JK

Last edited:

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could be mistaken... My very very very limited understanding is that the bumper mounts (4 bolts per side) are not designed for the loads one might see when flat towing. From what I have found this seems plausible. For example, This seems more like a tack weld vs something structural.

Since writing my original note, I've found that at least one manufacturer has a frame tie in that may make things moe solid.

Ford Bronco Flat Tow New Bronco (Yes, Confirmed) 1597639983111

In any case, my goal is not to disparage Jeep but to see if the Bronco is well thought out in this area.

Broncos 4 evah

Black Diamond
First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can some one PLEASE answer me WHY WOULD YOU FLAT TOW!??
I want a vehicle to tow behind my RV. One that goes places the RV can't. That means Bronco.
My RV only has a 5k pound towing capacity. A loaded up Bronco will get close to that. No overhead for the trailer weight. That is one reason.
Second reason, lots of campgrounds allow you two "vehicles" in each campsite. Truck and trailer, RV and toad. Oh wait. RV, trailer and toad. That's 3. NO SOUP for YOU!

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can some one PLEASE answer me WHY WOULD YOU FLAT TOW!??

A new Car hauler trailer is $2,000
A new flat tow rig is $1,200 plus instillation. why ruin a new car by putting that set up on it and ruining tires and drivetrain and killing your resale value when you can just get a trailer for life?
There are some who travel a lot - or even travel full time in a motorhome. Many motorhomes can't handle the tongue weight of a trailer and in some cases the added weight of the trailer is an issue.

The biggest issue is dealing with the trailer. Loading and unloading can be a pain. If you just do it once a month it's not such a big deal, but having to do it every week or more 52 weeks a year gets old.

When at a campground the trailer needed to be stored. This means:

1) Find a place to unhook - which already could be a pain
2) Take the rig off the trailer
3) Unhook the trailer
4) Hook the trailer up to the rig
5) Move the trailer to overflow parking
6) Lock the trailer (since it's in some out of site far off storage location)
Then reverse all that to leave...

Doing this every time you hit a campground get's old really fast. Especially if you traveling and staying at different places for only a few days.

Having a trailer also limits where you can go. Now you need to call every campground candidate and ask if they have facilities to store a trailer, where you can unhook/hook up etc. Many don't have facilities for a trailer and these days, with campgrounds being filled up all the time, you really don't want to limit your campground options.
Sponsored