Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally have a build date for my Bronco. It is to replace my current toad. (Ford Edge)
In preparation, I am working through what I need to setup the rig to flat tow as soon as possible.

I have read the "flat towing equipment needed" thread several times and it was very helpful.
I search for a supplemental braking thread and got very little info.

My plan is to use the Roadmaster Falcon tow bar I am currently using and change the ends to the 035-1 adapters. Funny that Roadmaster nor etrailer suggests this setup. I saw that Ford would not provide BlueOx with the specs so they (blueox) designed their own bracket. I guess the others followed. Very silly but no shocked by today's lawsuit happy world.

I have a spare diode kit from my previous toad (Ford F150). This solves my lights.

This gets me to my question.
I currently use a Roadmaster Evenbrake for my supplemental braking. I have used it in my last two toads. It does a great job and I know how to install it. My only complaint is that when its not in use, its always in the way and I have to drag the thing in an out of position.
I want to setup the Bronco to flat tow quickly. ie built in

I have seen the ready brake solution suggested. I am considering it but want to make sure I have looked at all the options.
I don't have air brakes.
My options are?
Demco Stay-n-play?
RM Invisibrake?
Are there others?

What is easy to install?
Easy to put into action?
Won't drive me nuts with false braking and all the other annoying things supplemental braking systems can do?
Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
With the 2.3L engine you can use any of the permanently installed systems, they will include a vacuum pump to keep your power brakes active while towing.
The Ready Brute brake system is by far the simpleness solution.
I have a Brake Buddy Stealth which will work great with the 2.3L. I had one on my previous Jeep Wrangler and I also installed one on my Son's Jeep. Had to do some mods to get it to work on my 2.7L.
I also like the RVI Brake Shadow with its Command Center.

Reactions: law

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I finally have a build date for my Bronco. It is to replace my current toad. (Ford Edge)
In preparation, I am working through what I need to setup the rig to flat tow as soon as possible.

I have read the "flat towing equipment needed" thread several times and it was very helpful.
I search for a supplemental braking thread and got very little info.

My plan is to use the Roadmaster Falcon tow bar I am currently using and change the ends to the 035-1 adapters. Funny that Roadmaster nor etrailer suggests this setup. I saw that Ford would not provide BlueOx with the specs so they (blueox) designed their own bracket. I guess the others followed. Very silly but no shocked by today's lawsuit happy world.

I have a spare diode kit from my previous toad (Ford F150). This solves my lights.

This gets me to my question.
I currently use a Roadmaster Evenbrake for my supplemental braking. I have used it in my last two toads. It does a great job and I know how to install it. My only complaint is that when its not in use, its always in the way and I have to drag the thing in an out of position.
I want to setup the Bronco to flat tow quickly. ie built in

I have seen the ready brake solution suggested. I am considering it but want to make sure I have looked at all the options.
I don't have air brakes.
My options are?
Demco Stay-n-play?
RM Invisibrake?
Are there others?

What is easy to install?
Easy to put into action?
Won't drive me nuts with false braking and all the other annoying things supplemental braking systems can do?
I've been looking for a solution to flat towing my 2.3l, MT non-sas Black Diamond with Modular Bumper. I currently use a Roadmaster NightHawk all-terrain towbar with my current CR-V toad. The width of the tow hook on the modular bumper is 1.115"+/-0.005" and pretty consistent between my left and right given that it is a casting(forging?). The hole is machined and is 0.915+/-0.005". I see from the description that the 035-1 adaptor is for a 1" wide tow hook with a 1" diameter hole. They also say that the maximum diameter difference between the connecting pin and the tow hook hole is 1/16". If they use a 7/8" (0.875") diameter pin (I couldn't find the pin diameter given but i think that is a pretty good assumption) then that works for pin/hole diameter differences being less than 0.063". I'm just not sure whether the adaptor will accept the tow hook width (thickness). From the pictures it looks like there is a gap between the tow hook and the adaptor. On my current Toad adaptor, there is a gap between the tow bar link and the mount of at least 1/8" so I'm assuming this will work as well.

I currently run the 'Stay-In-Play' braking system and it works OK but difficult to determine if it is set correctly. I tend to run it on the 'light' braking side for fear of frying the toad brakes. It sounds like the 'Stay-In-Play' would work fine with the 2.3l bronco vacuum brake booster but I'm looking for an alternative that gives more feedback and perhaps controllable from the Coach.

Thanks for the input and I'll be looking at the response on the braking systems.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After looking at the etrailer response, the 035-1 adaptor
I've been looking for a solution to flat towing my 2.3l, MT non-sas Black Diamond with Modular Bumper. I currently use a Roadmaster NightHawk all-terrain towbar with my current CR-V toad. The width of the tow hook on the modular bumper is 1.115"+/-0.005" and pretty consistent between my left and right given that it is a casting(forging?). The hole is machined and is 0.915+/-0.005". I see from the description that the 035-1 adaptor is for a 1" wide tow hook with a 1" diameter hole. They also say that the maximum diameter difference between the connecting pin and the tow hook hole is 1/16". If they use a 7/8" (0.875") diameter pin (I couldn't find the pin diameter given but i think that is a pretty good assumption) then that works for pin/hole diameter differences being less than 0.063". I'm just not sure whether the adaptor will accept the tow hook width (thickness). From the pictures it looks like there is a gap between the tow hook and the adaptor. On my current Toad adaptor, there is a gap between the tow bar link and the mount of at least 1/8" so I'm assuming this will work as well.

I currently run the 'Stay-In-Play' braking system and it works OK but difficult to determine if it is set correctly. I tend to run it on the 'light' braking side for fear of frying the toad brakes. It sounds like the 'Stay-In-Play' would work fine with the 2.3l bronco vacuum brake booster but I'm looking for an alternative that gives more feedback and perhaps controllable from the Coach.

Thanks for the input and I'll be looking at the response on the braking systems.
After looking at the etrailer response, I don't think this adaptor will work. The Bronco tow hook for the modular bumper is too wide for the 1" opening in the adaptor. an option would be to machine the gap wider but would decrease the strength of the adaptor.
Hopefully Roadmaster will look into making an adaptor that will fit the Bronco.

OP
OP
law

law

Badlands
First Name
Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After looking at the etrailer response, the 035-1 adaptor

After looking at the etrailer response, I don't think this adaptor will work. The Bronco tow hook for the modular bumper is too wide for the 1" opening in the adaptor. an option would be to machine the gap wider but would decrease the strength of the adaptor.
Hopefully Roadmaster will look into making an adaptor that will fit the Bronco.
I have purchased the 035-1 adapter and it fits the tow hooks as well as the setup I had on my previous toad. I have seen several people using adapters that connect to the mod tow points. Some chicken at ford decided to not disclose the capacity of the tow points so all the towing manufactures came up with solutions. They are more money and are ugly. Ill stick with the adapter.
I have my brake system from my previous toad but it is removable. I just read not to use the removable brake systems. I guess I am going to sell it and get something built in or buy the ready brute. I have setup two toads using electronic systems so I am comfortable with those solutions. I am trying to warm up to the ready brute. The demco looks interesting.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have purchased the 035-1 adapter and it fits the tow hooks as well as the setup I had on my previous toad. I have seen several people using adapters that connect to the mod tow points. Some chicken at ford decided to not disclose the capacity of the tow points so all the towing manufactures came up with solutions. They are more money and are ugly. Ill stick with the adapter.
I have my brake system from my previous toad but it is removable. I just read not to use the removable brake systems. I guess I am going to sell it and get something built in or buy the ready brute. I have setup two toads using electronic systems so I am comfortable with those solutions. I am trying to warm up to the ready brute. The demco looks interesting.
You read not to use removable systems? Where did you read that? What was the reason?

OP
OP
law

law

Badlands
First Name
Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You read not to use removable systems? Where did you read that? What was the reason?
The road master fitment site. I think I saw it somewhere else too

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good to know. I'll order the adaptor, eTrailer.com is just a few miles away from me. You do have the modular bumper, correct? The width (thickness) of the tow point is 1.12" and the hole diameter should be fine for the 7/8" pins.
The Demco works OK but adjustment is sensitive and I tend to err on the side of caution and set it low to avoid overheating the toad (2014 Honda CR-V, soon to be Bronco) brakes. I may go to something that has feedback in the coach. I'm also upgrading from a Gas Motorhome to a diesel with air brakes. I really don't want to go with the air brake version of the Demco but concerned about overbraking the toad when using engine braking and you are definitely limited to tow vehicles with the air brake system (also installation requires modifications to the RV tow vehicle as well as the toad). It would solve that problem if the proportional braking was only active when the RV brake lights were on. Decisions, decisions....

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The road master fitment site. I think I saw it somewhere else too
OK, I use the RVI (2 I think), works well.

OP
OP
law

law

Badlands
First Name
Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I called the roadmaster tech team and they explained that the evenbrake will lock the brakes of a Toad with an active brake system. This is the true with the EBB in th 2.7. The 2.3 is vacuum only. I have an even brake and plan to use it. I just wanted to clarify the issue in case someone finds this post.

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I called the roadmaster tech team and they explained that the evenbrake will lock the brakes of a Toad with an active brake system. This is the true with the EBB in th 2.7. The 2.3 is vacuum only. I have an even brake and plan to use it. I just wanted to clarify the issue in case someone finds this post.
With the updated software (2.7 Tow Fix) the 2.7 no longer as active brake boost once you go into TOW MODE.

OP
OP
law

law

Badlands
First Name
Larlar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With the updated software (2.7 Tow Fix) the 2.7 no longer as active brake boost once you go into TOW MODE.
That makes their data completely wrong then.
I would go with a different system if I didn't already have one.
I also didn't like the looks of the installs of the other systems. I'm not a fan of cutting up my vacuum system or mounting something on the floor since I have the wash out interio.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Right, I have the 2.3, so no issue. And 2.7s are supposed to have that fixed with the software update.

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm getting ready to purchase and install the Demco Air Force One (my RV has air brakes). I have the 2.3L so it should work fine. I'm fabricating a plate in front of the position for the ACC radar (I don't have ACC) to mount the 6 pin connector, air line connector and breakaway switch. I'm also adding an Anderson 175 amp connector on the back side to run my Viair compressor, future winch and jumper cable connection. It uses the center bolt in the modular bumper with a tab at the top to accept an additional bolt requiring a hole be drilled in the underside of the top part of the bumper. During my fit check however, the single center M8 bolt holds it really well against the back side of the bumper at the top so an added bolt probably won't be needed. I bought a cheap Amazon plastic project box as a cover for when not being towed and plan to use rubber straps to hold it on (actually planning to use KTM/Husqvarna motorcycle radiator shroud retaining straps). I've added tabs to the plate to hook those over. Eventually I might make a 3D printed cover with a different fastener but for now this should work great.
I'm using a DV8 license plate bracket which mounts using the two bolts on either side of the center bolt and has a gap in the center that this plate fits into. 6th Gen Bronco Front License Plate Relocation Kit | DV8 Offroad The DV8 mount doesn't use the center bolt so this plate can be mounted and the DV8 mount fits nicely over the top. I've made a couple and done a fit check. Now to Powder coat. I've found that the Prismatic Powders 'Black Diamond' powder is a near perfect match for the Modular bumper color and texture. I'll find out more when I actually powder coat it. Hope it works :)
Ford Bronco Flat tow supplemental braking for the 2.3l Toad Wiring Plate Assembly Back
Ford Bronco Flat tow supplemental braking for the 2.3l Toad Wiring Plate Assembly Front Covered
Ford Bronco Flat tow supplemental braking for the 2.3l Toad Wiring Plate Assembly

Dirtrider

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I purchased the adaptors as well and they do fit. I'm getting ready to purchase the Demco Air Force One brake controller (see my post in this thread).
Sponsored