Sponsored

Flat Tow Wiring and Tow Hookup From the Factory?

Datoad

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Jeep LJ Rubicon, 17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Likely a stretch, but when B&P is released with all the goodies that can be added to the Bronco from the factory, one really BIG item I want added is the lighting harness for flat towing behind an RV. The Jeep harness from (https://www.justforjeeps.com/jl-tow-vehicle-wiring-harness.html) cost $400+ and require instillation.

The big stretch would be to add the hitch receiver pins needed to hook up the tow bar in the B&P for the incoming flood of RVers who what to ditch the Jeep Wrangler for the Bronco - with a little hassle as possible.

Has anyone see any information about the lighting harness or interconnect for Bronco flat tow behind configurations?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the harness for the ranger would be the same but if not they will have one soon.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Ford/Ranger/2021/RM-154.html?VehicleID=202189499
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BigIron

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350, 2015 JKU, 2019 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just run a 'flat 4' from front to back and use diodes to isolate the vehicle wiring, no big deal, get the 2>1 Diodes from roadmaster, a bit more expensive but high power and a snap to hook up.
Here is a complete kit that will work fine.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HNYKE...colid=G5F9B9983RU7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Yeah, anything can be Jerry rigged and spliced in. But, the Mopar harness is so nice and clean. plugs in directly to the factory harness with relays and will keep the battery of the jeep charged. It’s just so much cleaner I hope Ford will follow suit.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks we will have to use smart diodes to connect to the tail lights. Looking at the tail light wiring diagram looks like Ford is using variable voltage brake/tail light.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, anything can be Jerry rigged and spliced in. But, the Mopar harness is so nice and clean. plugs in directly to the factory harness with relays and will keep the battery of the jeep charged. It’s just so much cleaner I hope Ford will follow suit.
In my world "Jerry Rigged' means something done sloppy, or half-assed. Running fresh cable, splicing in the diodes correctly, with soldered connections, waterproof heat shrink, and a little attention to detail is NOT Jerry Rigged. If Mopar or Ford offers a Plug-N-Play solution then great, but I am not holding my breath. And as I will need to tow it almost at once I won't have time to wait on Ford to get their act together. Oh, and the Roadmaster Invisobrake also keeps the tow vehicle battery charged.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any updates? For what it is worth the D-Ring brackets on the Modular bumper are 1.1145 thick. I don't have a problem opening up the BX88357 by .126" there is still lots of metal left. Just wish I could get a good answer from Ford about the D-Ring brackets . This is what the owns manual saids.
Note: Do not use recovery hooks to
recreationally tow your vehicle. See
Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle (page
307).
Well page 307 does not tell me anything. Are the D-Ring Brackets considered the same as the recovery hooks?
I did run across an article on flat towing the 2021 Bronco and he made the comment you could connect to the tow bar the the D-Ring brackets. Don't where he got his info.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Any updates? For what it is worth the D-Ring brackets on the Modular bumper are 1.1145 thick. I don't have a problem opening up the BX88357 by .126" there is still lots of metal left. Just wish I could get a good answer from Ford about the D-Ring brackets . This is what the owns manual saids.
307).
Well page 307 does not tell me anything. Are the D-Ring Brackets considered the same as the recovery hooks?
I did run across an article on flat towing the 2021 Bronco and he made the comment you could connect to the tow bar the the D-Ring brackets. Don't where he got his info.
Keep on this and keep posting!!

I'm considering replacing the tow 'loops' on a standard bumper with D-ring adapters and using those, but am as yet unsure. Hopefully Blue Ox, Roadmaster et al get on this soon. I was going to use my magnetic lights temporarily until something better appeals to me, but the aluminum body and plastic bumper will be problematic.

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

307).
If they are good enough to recover the vehicle when it’s stuck they should pleanty good enough to tow with.

what Dealer did you use?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bill Knight Ford in Tulsa, OK. Got my window sticker, build date tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OK when I saw these replies on my iphone there was one with a part diagram. But it is gone now.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Roadmaster is looking for Bronco(s) to pattern a baseplate in Vancouver WA

FitMaster Product Match | Roadmaster Inc.

I'm about to order my Bronco. Guess by the time it gets here Roadmaster will have brackets ready. I'll move my tow stuff over from the Jeep. Also, looks like I can only get the 2.3L because it has vacuum booster brakes, while the 2.7 has electric boost. My Air Force One brake kit needs vacuum boost to work on the toad. I saw a video of it being installed on a new Ranger, assume it will be mostly the same on the Bronco.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm about to order my Bronco. Guess by the time it gets here Roadmaster will have brackets ready. I'll move my tow stuff over from the Jeep. Also, looks like I can only get the 2.3L because it has vacuum booster brakes, while the 2.7 has electric boost. My Air Force One brake kit needs vacuum boost to work on the toad. I saw a video of it being installed on a new Ranger, assume it will be mostly the same on the Bronco.
Usually with electric boost you don't have to preset the system, with vacuum you need to cycle a few times to bleed off the system. I'd check with your brake mfg to be sure.
Sponsored