Sponsored

Flat Tow Wiring and Tow Hookup From the Factory?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder if the electric brake boost is active when the Bronco is placed the tow mode. Will be on the phone first thing Tuesday. If this is true your Air Force One and my Brake Buddy Stealth will both work fine just don't have to hook up the vacuum generator to a brake vacuum boost.
Sponsored

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Usually with electric boost you don't have to preset the system, with vacuum you need to cycle a few times to bleed off the system. I'd check with your brake mfg to be sure.
My understanding is that electric boost uses an electric motor to provide boost, rather than vacuum. The Air Force One brake system only works with vacuum. It uses coach air with an air cylinder to apply the brakes on the toad, and it has an air pressure to vacuum converter to apply vacuum to the booster, so the toad has working power brakes. I'll have to call to see if they have a product for electric boost. My preference is to use what I already have.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My understanding is that electric boost uses an electric motor to provide boost, rather than vacuum. The Air Force One brake system only works with vacuum. It uses coach air with an air cylinder to apply the brakes on the toad, and it has an air pressure to vacuum converter to apply vacuum to the booster, so the toad has working power brakes. I'll have to call to see if they have a product for electric boost. My preference is to use what I already have.
OK, I use the RVI Brake and with vacuum you cycle three times to bleed off vacuum so the system uses non assisted braking. I'm not sure if electric assist is on in tow mode.

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Has anyone been able to confirm whether or not the Bronco can be towed by attaching to D ring brackets on modular bumper?

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Blue Ox told me they were going to look at the tow hook brackets when they got there hands on one. Was hoping I would get my OBX in time for them to use it to build off of. But it is one of the Bad Batch units so don’t know when it will get here. Seems like Ford and Warn don’t want to be liable so they just make the statement “not recommended for RV towing”.

Sponsored

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Blue Ox told me they were going to look at the tow hook brackets when they got there hands on one. Was hoping I would get my OBX in time for them to use it to build off of. But it is one of the Bad Batch units so don’t know when it will get here. Seems like Ford and Warn don’t want to be liable so they just make the statement “not recommended for RV towing”.
Thanks for the info, my FE is supposed to be built next week. With more of them on the road, hopefully Blue OX and others will get one soon to confirm.

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks for the info, my FE is supposed to be built next week. With more of them on the road, hopefully Blue OX and others will get one soon to confirm.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford's warning not to use aside, I think the D-Rings would be fine and most tow bar mfg's make adapters to D rings. I've emailed many mfgs with no definitive response. I'm not getting D rings mounts w/ my std bumper, but the tow loops look the same as the new Ranger. So I'm ASSuming baseplates for a Ranger will fit, but no verification yet. Hopefully someone takes Roadmaster and Blue Ox up on their offers soon and we get answers. Also, I hope they take into account different bumper/bashplate combos. And the 2.7 trans cooler is up front opposed to the 2.3 back by the trans, so that might be another variable.

yourbudjim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Soft-top High Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any updates? For what it is worth the D-Ring brackets on the Modular bumper are 1.1145 thick. I don't have a problem opening up the BX88357 by .126" there is still lots of metal left. Just wish I could get a good answer from Ford about the D-Ring brackets . This is what the owns manual saids.
Note: Do not use recovery hooks to
recreationally tow your vehicle. See
Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle (page
307).
Well page 307 does not tell me anything. Are the D-Ring Brackets considered the same as the recovery hooks?
I did run across an article on flat towing the 2021 Bronco and he made the comment you could connect to the tow bar the the D-Ring brackets. Don't where he got his info.

Amazon.com: Roadmaster 035-1 Tow Bar Adapter for 1 Inch Bumper Mounts - One Pair : Automotive
I sure hope so. Still nervous about the narrow separation and sway stability.
interesting option

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I originally considered these. They solve some issues with a standard base plate, mostly the loss of a recovery point. They would also be compatible with RC's winch mount which is cool. I was a bit concerned that they attach with only 2-12mm bolts, thought I could design and add a secondary attachment point for safety. I also didn't care for the Warrior Products shackle adapters which were the only ones that fit my towbar, the pin uses a nylock nut and would be a pain to attach/remove/reattach

Nervousness ultimately pushed me to the Blue Ox set up, they are Beefy and attach with 2-12mm and 2-1/2" each, but it is more costly and you loose your recovery points. They may also be compatible with the RC winch mount...we'll see down the road sometime.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any updates? For what it is worth the D-Ring brackets on the Modular bumper are 1.1145 thick. I don't have a problem opening up the BX88357 by .126" there is still lots of metal left. Just wish I could get a good answer from Ford about the D-Ring brackets . This is what the owns manual saids.
Note: Do not use recovery hooks to
recreationally tow your vehicle. See
Recreationally Towing Your Vehicle (page
307).
Well page 307 does not tell me anything. Are the D-Ring Brackets considered the same as the recovery hooks?
I did run across an article on flat towing the 2021 Bronco and he made the comment you could connect to the tow bar the the D-Ring brackets. Don't where he got his info.
I believe when Ford says "recovery hooks" they are referring to the loops bolted on below the bumper on Broncos that didn't come with the modular bumper. I don't think they use that same terminology for the D-ring tabs on the mod bumper. Regardless, I believe the tabs on the mod bumper are perfectly fine for flat towing, if you have a clevis that fits it and your tow bar.

I've already flat towed my '21 Bronco a few times. I've always towed my other rigs (various Early Broncos and a '15 Rubicon) by hooking up the tow bar directly to the heavy duty shackle tabs on the off-road bumpers, and wanted to do the same with my new Bronco. It would have been a simple thing if I had the mod bumper, simply pull it up behind the motorhome and pin it on. But my Bronco came with the plastic bumper so I had to improvise. I will eventually have an aftermarket heavy duty bumper with integrated D-ring tabs but for use in the meantime I fabricated some recovery tabs that bolt in behind the plastic bumper and poke through it. I have a video of it on my YouTube channel if anyone is interested in seeing how I did it.

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lewie

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The link in the post from grtharris for the roadmaster adapters on Amazon work perfect with the modular front bumper. Mine just arrived and they are a perfect fit on the front shackle mounts and on my roadmaster falcon tow-bar. No need for the inner-ring spacer either, the pin is a perfect fit.

Amazon.com: Roadmaster 035-1 Tow Bar Adapter for 1 Inch Bumper Mounts - One Pair : Automotive
Thanks for the info? Has Ford approved the use of shackle mounts for flat towing? My FE 2Dr shipped on 10/27 should be here in about 2 weeks or so. I'm just down the road from you in HB. What system are you planning to use for braking and lights?

Thurmy7

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, Tacoma, Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info? Has Ford approved the use of shackle mounts for flat towing? My FE 2Dr shipped on 10/27 should be here in about 2 weeks or so. I'm just down the road from you in HB. What system are you planning to use for braking and lights?
I'm not sure what Ford has said about using those mounts for flat-towing, but they're mounted to the frame and seem as sturdy as anything else that could be added on. I'm not planning to use any additional breaking mechanism right away, but might take it to camping world to have them set it up with something and also add a front connection for the lights. For now, I'm just planning to use the magnetic lights mounted to a hitch-basket on the back of the Bronco. Hope yours comes in soon. It's a blast to drive.
Sponsored