Flimsy doors and other observations

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Attended the Bronco event at Ditschman Ford in NJ. I know these are pre production vehicles, but the doors seemed a bit weak - no door checks to keep them from overextending. Seems like it wouldn't take much to force them past the stop and cause damage. Thinking real strong wind gust, or bracing yourself against the door if you are parked on ice.

The grab handle on the center console was already loose too.

Not canceling my orders though!

Advertisement

Gamecock

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 FJ Cruiser
Attended the Bronco event at Ditschman Ford in NJ. I know these are pre production vehicles, but the doors seemed a bit weak - no door checks to keep them from overextending. Seems like it wouldn't take much to force them past the stop and cause damage. Thinking real strong wind gust, or bracing yourself against the door if you are parked on ice.

The doors are a trade off... but they have to be easy to get on and off, and that means light.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Zack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU
Clubs

Where they bolted in?

The hinges include door stops that should have held the door at various positions *and* prevented over extension.

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang, 2018 Porsche 911
Removable doors ARE weak.

markregel

Base
First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe

It doesn't take much force on any vehicle door to case damage , you know the laws of physics and that give me a lever and I'll move the world thing. This is why I cringe when someone swings the door open against the stop -- you can see it flex the pillar. That said the Bronco with easy removable doors probably has some compromises. The 4-door is a big advantage in this area shorter and lighter doors. It is not uncommon on classic 2-door sedans with doors a mile long to sag.

sapper726

Base
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150
Clubs

Honestly, I thought the doors felt pretty well built for what they are. Was expecting light and cheap but felt stronger than I expected. I guess it all depends on where your expectations are at before seeing them in person.

Advertisement

Ridergraphix

Advertisement