Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Good afternoon Floridians.

Generally speaking - "What is the rust situation on your used vehicles?" Not specifically the ones you are driving but rather the general public? More specifically thee public vehicles. Up in the Northeast cars get eaten BADLY by rust. Was curious to what the situation is down in the warm, albeit humid, weather.

Thank you for any thoughts/advice you might be able to provide.
Sponsored

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It can happen, but it's nowhere near as common or to the degree of what happens up north.

Personally, I'm in Miami and I've owned cars that were 20 years old and didn't have rust issues. I don't know of too many that have had to deal with rust.

OP
OP
ilbastarge

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

It can happen, but it's nowhere near as common or to the degree of what happens up north.

Personally, I'm in Miami and I've owned cars that were 20 years old and didn't have rust issues. I don't know of too many that have had to deal with rust.
Thank you Javier. I'm contemplating a used municipal vehicle from a small independent dealer, Car Shack in Hialeah (but the vehicle was serviced at Wayne Akers Ford in Lake Worth).

Would anyone have any experience with either of those 2 places?

Last edited:

cazimi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All other things being equal, you're less likely to see rust issues on a Florida car than a New England one mostly due to road salt and snow/underbody moisture. Unless you get one that's been flooded or driven in salt water, which can be surprisingly common, especially in post-hurricane years. ymmv (have lived/owned cars in both areas)

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never noticed any rust on my vehicles or other people's vehicles - except my EB which was a rust bucket. :LOL: I used to live up north when I was a kid and I know there is a big difference between the rust I used to see from salt up there and not really seeing much down here.

Sponsored

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've lived in Florida for over 30 years and never had an issue with rust. Prior to that, Minnesota. Different story there!

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Despite the humidity, rust isn't really a problem down here. That said, I'm in Broward county. Miami residents occasionally have to deal with salt water flooding due to sea level rise, so I imagine some cars from down there have the salt-related rust issues that you on cars up north.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thank you Javier. I'm contemplating a used municipal vehicle from a small independent dealer, Car Shack in Hialeah (but the vehicle was serviced at Wayne Akers Ford in Lake Worth).

Don't Do It
Ford Bronco Florida rust situation tt5.JPG

OP
OP
ilbastarge

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Despite the humidity, rust isn't really a problem down here. That said, I'm in Broward county. Miami residents occasionally have to deal with salt water flooding due to sea level rise, so I imagine some cars from down there have the salt-related rust issues that you on cars up north.
The advertisement is for a 2016 Explorer. Not sure which department/agency. There was an emblem on the right C pillar and it is all black.

Thank you for the input.

Sponsored

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Unless it has been driven on the beach or in a tidal flood near the ocean (both probably pretty rare), rust isn't really a concern. Neither Lake Worth or Hialeah are near the beach - relatively speaking - no spot in FL is more than 50 miles from the ocean.

harperrb

Wildtrak
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As others have said FL is not really rust issue unless its on the beach or on an island.

buzzcutt2

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems a little odd that the vehicle went from Lake Worth to Hialeah, they aren't all that close. Maybe the dealer just wholesales vehicles?

Having said that...personally a place in Hialeah wouldn't be high on my list, if at all. Florida is shady enough...Hialeah takes it to another level. I've been in FL my entire life...

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good afternoon Floridians.

Generally speaking - "What is the rust situation on your used vehicles?" Not specifically the ones you are driving but rather the general public? More specifically thee public vehicles. Up in the Northeast cars get eaten BADLY by rust. Was curious to what the situation is down in the warm, albeit humid, weather.

Thank you for any thoughts/advice you might be able to provide.
I've lived in FL since 94. Have rarely seen rust. Have never had rust in a car I owned.

I always assume it's likely that a car with rust got it up north and was sold used here or the person moved here.

Worry more about your car being covered with pollen lol

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
NO rust on the undercarriages- ONLY if the following are true:

-It was always a FL vehicle, never up north and driven in the salt.
-Was not used and driven in salty mud near the ocean
-Was not used as a boat tow vehicle where the driver backed way into the (salt) water.
-Was not used as a "pool truck"- where it hauled chlorine and pool supplies.

There is no snow down here so the roads are not salted. So the undercarriages stay pristine.

There are other issues though to watch out for-

AC- most people run their AC every day- even though a lot of days you don't need to. AC compressors and systems wear out.
Sun damaged paint- the sun is brutal here and will literally burn the paint off of vehicles.

So up north you have the dreaded road salt that eats up your undercarriage really bad. I lived there most of my live- in Massachusetts and Minnesota.

So, generally FL is better for your vehicles in my opinion- if you can keep it garaged and out of the sun (and wax it often) and don't use your AC every single day and wear your compressor out.

I moved here and now can have RWD vehicles- no snow or salt to worry about.
Sponsored