Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello! I'm going to be new to the removable top driving experience and I'm curious of those of you that have owned any type of convertible vehicle what your experience has been with debris? A friend of mine years ago owned a convertible and the only reason he parted with it was because he believed he was cursed to be a traveling garbage can. He had lit cigarettes, pop bottles, plastic bags, food and bird poop all end up in his car at various times. He even said that someone spit their tobacco chew right into his passenger seat at the exact moment he was driving past someone. ๐Ÿคฎ He never said he thought it was intentional, just rude people discarding their trash and he happened to be in the disposal path. How common is this really? Should I wear a fire retardant poncho while I'm driving?
Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like bad luck. I can only think of 2 times something has hit my car while driving. Forget about getting inside. For something to end up inside while driving would have to be some next level bad luck.

For someone to spit chew out and have it land in the passenger seat of a moving car...I imagine that would be very uncommon. If there was a points based system for getting things inside another moving car that would be worthy of 500pts, at least.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bird poop might happen of course, a lit cigarette I'd throw right back into the face of that ass. Years ago we had a Miata (fun!) and none of that ever happened, but I also never left it open when we parked, was just so easy to reach back button it down.
I'm a bit concerned about some jealous ass or some jeep bro tossing trash in the Bronco, who knows. Usually people leave other people's things alone and I live in a very safe city, so not overly concerned. I'll also rarely (if ever) will have the whole roof off, and the Bronco sits so tall that most people probably won't even see that the top is open. Soft top I'd always close when parking, just to keep the seats from turning into lava.

And for the rest, there's that washout interior and vinyl, so I'm not overly concerned. People park convertibles that cost 3x or more than my Bronco with the roof open here.

Big city would be different, but I don't plan to ever take it to Oakland or San Francisco, I'll take my old Taco for that or just use bart and Uber.

I'd not worry too much about it, you'll have way too much fun with it to make those hopefully rare instances just part of the game.

OP
OP
BroncOBabe2.7

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well the higher up you are the less likely for some of that stuff to get at you

By the way where did your friend drive ? So I can avoid that area
Ha! This was when I still lived in SE Michigan, so yeah, avoid at all costs ๐Ÿคฃ

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncOBabe2.7

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like bad luck. I can only think of 2 times something has hit my car while driving. Forget about getting inside. For something to end up inside while driving would have to be some next level bad luck.

For someone to spit chew out and have it land in the passenger seat of a moving car...I imagine that would be very uncommon. If there was a points based system for getting things inside another moving car that would be worthy of 500pts, at least.
Good to know. I think the majority of these instances happened while he was stopped or approaching another stopped vehicle at a light. And he was in a mustang, so a much lower profile than the Bronco.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to know. I think the majority of these instances happened while he was stopped or approaching another stopped vehicle at a light. And he was in a mustang, so a much lower profile than the Bronco.
That said, on my motorcycle? I have been hit with cigarettes, and trash, multiple times, and got blasted with a pelican shit. Average weight of a white pelican is 14lbs, just to put that in perspective...

Just this morning I got sprayed by someone's windshield washer fluid, and that happens all the time. It's probably intentional, because people are assholes. Ask me how I know. ๐Ÿ˜‚

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
A few times I returned to find someone had shifted the gears. One time someone took a quart of oil I had laying on the floor, and poured it down my fuel filler. To avoid mischief "crime of opportunity" stuff like that, don't leave anything in the open vehicle a person might use for mischief.

In terms of while driving, I don't recall ever getting hit by stuff intentional or unintentional, other than rainstorms. One time though, a trucker got mad at me (don't know why), pulled along side and was opening his door, trying to use the corner to tear my soft top. Bizarre road rage situation I guess.

OP
OP
BroncOBabe2.7

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a bit concerned about some jealous ass or some jeep bro tossing trash in the Bronco, who knows. Usually people leave other people's things alone and I live in a very safe city, so not overly concerned.
This also concerns me just a bit as I live in the Toledo, OH area where the Jeep Wrangler is built. There are A LOT of Jeep owners and employees where I live who may demonstrate a bit of spiteful envy. At least that's what I'll call it!

PecOBX

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have had multiple wranglers and drive with top and doors off as much as weather allows. Very few instances of things flying into the vehicle - even with no doors. Much or what your friend experienced might have been due to being lower to the ground. Personally, I do not even think about debris as a risk in getting the Bronco and would not be overly concerned.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That said, on my motorcycle? I have been hit with cigarettes, and trash, multiple times, and got blasted with a pelican shit. Average weight of a white pelican is 14lbs, just to put that in perspective...

Just this morning I got sprayed by someone's windshield washer fluid, and that happens all the time. It's probably intentional, because people are assholes. Ask me how I know. ๐Ÿ˜‚
The only thing note worthy on my motorcycle are at least 3 or 4 birds that have hit me. No so bad unless it's in the head.

I don't think we've ever got anything in the wife's convertible. No one ever threw anything in the back of my Blazers with the top off, but I've found plenty of stuff in my truck beds that I know I didn't put in there. I guess I should be glad they didn't throw it on the ground.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the main reason I wear a full face helmet, can't count the times I have been hit with windshield washer fluid from the car in front, (normally right after cleaning the bike) and on clear sunny days, so it was intentional. If this was back in the 70' when I rode HD's I would get in front and toss a ball bearing over my shoulder.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Off topic, but oddest convertible thing I ever saw. A convertible flew past on i290 out of Chicago, with a bride and groom in the back. Bride's white dress flapping all over.

Suddenly all the cars hit the brakes, as I see a white blur fly out of the convertible to the pavement. I think to myself dang, that bride lost part of her dress. No, it was the bride, she flew out of the convertible!

As I realize what happened and am getting out to help, people from the car pick up the bride, put her back in the car and drive off. The rest of us stopped on the expressway are like - what just happened, lol. Hope she was all right.

Moral of story - if driving a Bronco with loose clothing - consider wearing a seatbelt.

OP
OP
BroncOBabe2.7

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Off topic, but oddest convertible thing I ever saw. A convertible flew past on i290 out of Chicago, with a bride and groom in the back. Bride's white dress flapping all over.

Suddenly all the cars hit the brakes, as I see a white blur fly out of the convertible to the pavement. I think to myself dang, that bride lost part of her dress. No, it was the bride, she flew out of the convertible!

As I realize what happened and am getting out to help, people from the car pick up the bride, put her back in the car and drive off. The rest of us stopped on the expressway are like - what just happened, lol. Hope she was all right.

Moral of story - if driving a Bronco with loose clothing - consider wearing a seatbelt.
Wow. Can we start a crazy convertible stories thread? Knowing that she must have been okay, I can't stop laughing at the thought of a flying bride. That is both shocking and hilarious!

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had girls jump in an old Jeep while I was stopped at a red light but never had any of the above mentioned problems. Open top vehicles are awesome, particularly ones with no doors!
Sponsored