Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2021 Lincoln Corsair
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I no longer drive my Caterham Seven without the doors on(and I’ve only once had the hood on (Queen’s English for convertible top)) after experiencing recurrent sand and other road detritus in my ear canals….but the Seven is an entirely different animal.
James May went mudding in his Caterham.

landscape-desktop.764.430.jpg
Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been guilty of using my wiper fluid on a clear sunny summer day, to get bugs off my windshield, or whatever else is obstructing my view.

It honestly never would have crossed my mind that someone would take that as an intentionally malicious action on my part.
If your fluid nozzles are adjusted so they shoot over the roofline then yes, kind of like the guy with his owl hunting lights coming at you. And all the wipers do for bugs is smear them over the entire windshield in my experience.

OP
OP
BroncOBabe2.7

BroncOBabe2.7

Outer Banks
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Taurus
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You'll be fine in this vehicle as far a debris. We've never had any issues top and/or doors off in our wrangler. As many posters have mentioned, being higher off the ground helps, but another major factor in preventing debris from entering the vehicle roof/doors off is the flat-ass brick windshield. This forces debris coming at the car up and way over the vehicle, unlike a more aerodynamic convertible windshield. The cons to this are obviously poor highway mpgs and more chips in the windshield as rocks take more of a direct rather than angled hit.
The rock thing does have me a bit concerned. I live right by two quarrys and frequently get caught behind gravel and rock haulers on the way to work. I fear the windshield might take a beating, but hope it was designed with off-roading in mind and can withstand the debris.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello! I'm going to be new to the removable top driving experience and I'm curious of those of you that have owned any type of convertible vehicle what your experience has been with debris? A friend of mine years ago owned a convertible and the only reason he parted with it was because he believed he was cursed to be a traveling garbage can. He had lit cigarettes, pop bottles, plastic bags, food and bird poop all end up in his car at various times. He even said that someone spit their tobacco chew right into his passenger seat at the exact moment he was driving past someone. 🤮 He never said he thought it was intentional, just rude people discarding their trash and he happened to be in the disposal path. How common is this really? Should I wear a fire retardant poncho while I'm driving?
We enjoyed a convertible for a number of years and never had anything end up in the vehicle. Anything light enough to go airborne is going to fly right over or be pushed out of the way by the wind stream. A heavy object tossed out of a moving car could be a different story.

The worst thing I had happen was when I went to a store and decided to leave the top down. While inside, a cloudburst passed by and when I got back to the car, I had water on the seats and floor. Oops. Fortunately, it dried out reasonably quickly.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your fluid nozzles are adjusted so they shoot over the roofline then yes, kind of like the guy with his owl hunting lights coming at you. And all the wipers do for bugs is smear them over the entire windshield in my experience.
In that case, I couldn't agree more.
Your statement on the smearing is correct, however, that knowledge does not/will not stop me from smearing said insects all over my windshield anyway. I cuss myself every time I do it and haven't learned to keep my hand off the washer button yet.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In that case, I couldn't agree more.
Your statement on the smearing is correct, however, that knowledge does not/will not stop me from smearing said insects all over my windshield anyway. I cuss myself every time I do it and haven't learned to keep my hand off the washer button yet.
I learned the hard way in my motorhome in the south, those millions of love bugs are the worst ever, actually had to stop, get out the ladder and spend 20 minutes getting that 108' windshield clear enough to see out of. :)

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Using an M1 Garand is a horrible choice for this application.

Empty the magazine in your sidearm and go full slide lock.
An M1? Ha ha!

My grandad brought his home from his time in the Pacific back in WWII. Nice range, but that damn thing was heavy as hell. It's on my Dads wall to this day.

For this application it'll either be .45ACP or .380 from my pocket pistol. :ROFLMAO:

Bronco67

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think some have been waiting too long.. now we're coming up with all kinds of things to worry about. I wouldn't worry about certain things until we experience the Bronco ourselves. The Bronco will also sit higher than most convertibles that may have been similar to your friends.. Regardless, whatever comes with the open air off roading experience with these Broncos, I will take it on when it happens, if it even happens !

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An M1? Ha ha!

My grandad brought his home from his time in the Pacific back in WWII. Nice range, but that damn thing was heavy as hell. It's on my Dads wall to this day.

For this application it'll either be .45ACP or .380 from my pocket pistol. :ROFLMAO:
Ooooohhhh....see you said empty half a 'clip' so I assumed M1 Garand since they use a 'clip'. You meant 'magazine' the entire time... 🤡

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ooooohhhh....see you said empty half a 'clip' so I assumed M1 Garand since they use a 'clip'. You meant 'magazine' the entire time... 🤡
:rolleyes:

I'm sure it's not the first time you've heard someone say clip.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs