Sponsored

Shackle housing on capable bumper installed incorrectly - something to add to your purchase checklist!

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All,
I didn't see it when I picked up my ride from the dealership yesterday, but this morning, I noticed that both of the plastic housings around the shackles were not pushed/clipped all the way flush with the bumper. After removing the plastic housings, I saw what the problem was.

Clips holding the wires for the sensors were installed incorrectly, which led to the clips that hold the housing onto the bumper to not seat properly. Of course, while doing the fix, I was an idiot and didn't take any photos!

In the one photo I did take, you see a white clip (white arrow) pushed in from behind towards the plastic housing. This white clip holds the wiring in place for the sensors. This white clip should have been installed in the horizontal hole (blue arrow) because that original hole in the frame is the receiver for the black clip (red arrow) on the plastic shackle housing.

After removing the white clip from the holes, everything lined up and pushed in easy. The only issue I see is that the wire length to move the white clip to its correct position isn't long enough for me to actually reinstall the white clip in the correct hole, but the wires are quite snug, so I don't see this being an issue.

@Cat, you may want to add this to your Checklist (which @Blaven and I both used at Chapman yesterday :D). I also want to thank @Ourbroncolife for the front pic which I circled the housing for reference).

Ford Bronco Shackle housing on capable bumper installed incorrectly - something to add to your purchase checklist! IMG_6499.JPG

Ford Bronco Shackle housing on capable bumper installed incorrectly - something to add to your purchase checklist! Clips
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All,
I didn't see it when I picked up my ride from the dealership yesterday, but this morning, I noticed that both of the plastic housings around the fog lights were not pushed/clipped all the way flush with the bumper. After removing the plastic housings, I saw what the problem was.

Clips holding the wires for the sensors were installed incorrectly, which led to the clips that hold the housing onto the bumper to not seat properly. Of course, while doing the fix, I was an idiot and didn't take any photos!

In the one photo I did take, you see a white clip (white arrow) pushed in from behind towards the plastic housing. This white clip holds the wiring in place for the sensors. This white clip should have been installed in the horizontal hole (blue arrow) because that original hole in the frame is the receiver for the black clip (red arrow) on the plastic fog light housing.

After removing the white clip from the holes, everything lined up and pushed in easy. The only issue I see is that the wire length to move the white clip to its correct position isn't long enough for me to actually reinstall the white clip in the correct hole, but the wires are quite snug, so I don't see this being an issue.

@Cat, you may want to add this to your Checklist (which @Blaven and I both used at Chapman yesterday :D). I also want to thank @Ourbroncolife for the front pic which I circled the housing for reference).

Ford Bronco Shackle housing on capable bumper installed incorrectly - something to add to your purchase checklist! Clips

Can you measure the gap between the grill and the bumper? Wondering if a thin light bar might fit in that gap. Thanks

OP
OP
Shotsy

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you measure the gap between the grill and the bumper? Wondering if a thin light bar might fit in that gap. Thanks
It’s a smidge over 2” directly under the grille

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Check the wire running along the underside that goes along the drivers side. I had 3 white clips that had the tape ripped off the clip and the wire was hanging. The clip looked an E. I had to zip tie the wire to the 3 clips.

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It’s a smidge over 2” directly under the grille
That might work then. The Baja design s8 is 1 3/4”. Would just need to find a good mount point

Sponsored

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All,
I didn't see it when I picked up my ride from the dealership yesterday, but this morning, I noticed that both of the plastic housings around the fog lights were not pushed/clipped all the way flush with the bumper. After removing the plastic housings, I saw what the problem was.

In the one photo I did take, you see a white clip (white arrow) pushed in from behind towards the plastic housing. This white clip holds the wiring in place for the sensors. This white clip should have been installed in the horizontal hole (blue arrow) because that original hole in the frame is the receiver for the black clip (red arrow) on the plastic fog light housing.

Thank you. Anybody else have this issue?

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

All,

Glad to hear you used the checklist. I will add the housing installation issue to the OCD.

A question:

1) Your post says, "housing around fog lights", but the picture shows housing around Shackles. Can you confirm it's the housing around the Shackles?

Thanks,

OP
OP
Shotsy

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Glad to hear you used the checklist. I will add the housing installation issue to the OCD.

A question:

1) Your post says, "housing around fog lights", but the picture shows housing around Shackles. Can you confirm it's the housing around the Shackles?

Thanks,
Ugh, it’s the shackles. I’ll correct my post!

Reactions: Cat

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When you had the shackle cover off, did you notice if the shackles themselves could be removed easily of swapped with different style? Are they bolt on?

OP
OP
Shotsy

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you had the shackle cover off, did you notice if the shackles themselves could be removed easily of swapped with different style? Are they bolt on?
I didn't see an easy way to remove them, but I wasn't really focusing on that.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ugh, it’s the shackles. I’ll correct my post!
Added it to the OCD. Thnx for letting us know about this issue!
Sponsored