Sponsored

For those concerned about the cost of the new Bronco...

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 2 Door; 2017 Dodge Durango GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
srotier

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So what you're saying is that wage rate inflation is not keeping up with auto price inflation.
Weird, right?

Edit: It must be a glitch in the matrix.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what you're saying is that wage rate inflation is not keeping up with auto price inflation.
Or.... we're not producing as many offspring that grow up to make significant contributions to the economy. They aren't valuing valuable education and we deprogrammed their competitive spirit with participation trophies and told them they could spend $100K on an English degree to get paid $26K/year and the only places to live in this country are the overpriced areas of NY and CA.

Automobiles also have tons of features that previous model years don't have so you can't make a linear inflation "wild ass guess".

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Or.... we're not producing as many offspring that grow up to make significant contributions to the economy. They aren't valuing valuable education and we deprogrammed their competitive spirit with participation trophies and told them they could spend $100K on an English degree to get paid $26K/year and the only places to live in this country are the overpriced areas of NY and CA.

Automobiles also have tons of features that previous model years don't have so you can't make a linear inflation "wild ass guess".
You know you're getting old when you're blaming the kids for everything. Wage growth has been slow to non-existent for decades now. It's not just compared to cars. It has also not kept up with housing, college, and many other major expenses.

Sponsored

ZiggysDad83

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Not sure where you are getting the $100k for 4 years of college, that's a steal. Also similarly not sure where you are getting $26k a year. I started 15 years ago in NYC at probably one of the worst paying jobs in the world (ad agency) for $30k, so your number is wildly incorrect. Also this does not include the fact that wages increase at a huge rate with career advancement in those shitty paying jobs as a "do your time and it will be worth it" type of arrangement - I took a 50% pay increase with my second agency job after 15 months. Competitive spirit is at the individual level, and parents are way more responsible for fostering this in their children than the child who has grown up being coddled their whole life.

It's fun to jab at the participation trophy culture and I am highly guilty of it myself, but as it currently stands NY and CA are the hubs for business, and the saying goes "if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere." Will this change with the forced shift to remote work in the short term? I'm optimistic, especially as someone who wants the bronco as a fun toy for when i'm not living in a city environment.

Reactions: Jdc

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I remember looking into the Mr Plow episode of The Simpsons when they stated his snowplow cost $20,000.
Turns out, adjusted for inflation, a $20,000 truck back in 1993 is within a few hundred dollars of what a base F250 costs today. Base F250 today doesn't include the price of the plow itself, but you get far more features in that base price.

I still feel the Bronco's price is a bit high for what you're getting, though. No memory seats, power-folding mirrors, auto-dimming side mirrors, stop-and-go, active park, etc. Even the Wrangler offers a painted bumper for those who don't want to even pretend they offroad.

Average prices are naturally going to jump when you can't a la carte options anymore. If you want 20" wheels on the Flex, it required a $7,800 equipment group.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You know you're getting old when you're blaming the kids for everything. Wage growth has been slow to non-existent for decades now. It's not just compared to cars. It has also not kept up with housing, college, and many other major expenses.
I was not blaming the kids for everything; reading comprehension is key.

Housing and college are both artificially inflated and not a product of simple inflation.

The problem with taking averages for calculating wage growth is that it does not account for other economic factors such as a bunch of idiots getting degrees in Literature only to graduate with the skills for a scarcity of jobs that pay a living wage for that skill and the ability to work at a McJob. The goods that people are comparing the wages too have also changed and advanced.

@ZiggysDad83 Obviously, just rough numbers, but if $100K is a steal and $26K is less than the national average starting salary for teachers at $38K, my point still stands. Also, advertising has a lot of room for growth in sales, but did you keep track of everyone there? Also, to my point, the whole country can't live and work in those two areas.

Jabbing at the participation trophy culture isn't fun. It's a sad reminder of how people, mostly of my generation, screwed up in the pursuit of wanting the best for their kids and nothing bad to happen to them.

OP
OP
srotier

srotier

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow. I was unaware that I was going to incite such a philosophical thread!

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I still feel the Bronco's price is a bit high for what you're getting, though. No memory seats, power-folding mirrors, auto-dimming side mirrors, stop-and-go, active park, etc. Even the Wrangler offers a painted bumper for those who don't want to even pretend they offroad.
I have never seen a vehicle with more baked in dollars than the Bronco. Don't get me wrong I am still getting one (which is why they can do it) but leather seats on the two door with manual movement and one less seat than the four door for the same price, $2k? Yeesh, that's robbery. Also going from some of the base models up to the next level has a few thousands included for no reason, you literally are getting nothing. You see built in pricing in all vehicles but it's rather blatant in the Bronco.

Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those that are concerned that the Bronco is overpriced and such...vehicles are more expensive.

https://jalopnik.com/the-average-price-of-new-cars-rose-to-40-000-for-the-f-1846036692
Wait, so the people determining the cost of automobiles are the individuals making over $200k per year rather than the average American consumer. Something doesn't seem right about this. Seems FoMoCo has lost their way. I thought Ford was all about automobiles that the average American can afford to buy and operate in the company's infancy. When the average American cannot buy an "average" new car because it is too expensive to own, operate, and maintain, something has to change. And no, please don't say electric vehicles are the answer. Freakin' pansies lol.

MCG DAWG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm getting a pretty bare bones BD for less than 40K. I've seen much nicer builds going out for 60k-70K.

That's fine for those people. For me I'll have as much fun in mine for 20K less. It's a free market. People are welcome to pay for what they want, when they want, or to make the decision not to.

Nothing says Ford has to make a Bronco that EVERYONE can afford. But for 39.7K my BD is going to be plenty capable and get the job done. And that primary job is making me happy.

The next guy may want to rock out a 70K first edition. If he can afford it and it puts a smile on his face, we both win.

I dreamed of owning a loaded out F-150 for most of my life. Didn't get one till I was 29. Had to wait to EARN it. If you want something bad enough you'll do the work to get it. In my case I didn't get a job that would let me afford it till I was almost 30. But I got there and that's what matters.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm getting a pretty bare bones BD for less than 40K.
I'll probably Base6Squatch or just base Base ....but base Black Diamond is a VERY tempting trim.

Interesting discussion. As Squatch hinted at, when ever I hear damn (kids generation) my instant reply is "Who raised those bastrds to be that way anyways?!!?" Tends to stop the conversation in it's tracks.

Norville

Black Diamond
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 BMW 325i, 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Too bad my salary hasn't really gone up in a decade (in fact, it's actually gone down by 15% since 5 years ago). I know that's on me - but I'm sure I'm not unique. At least I'm employed, for now. I just think it's disingenuous to cite an article as a stand alone perspective, is all.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

People value their vehicles differently . Some see it as transportation only. Some enjoy the feeling every time they crawl into the drivers seat. There is a bronco for every one - if that’s what you want. Cars are expensive but a base bronco is still a good vehicle at a price competitive with many other vehicles. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it.
Sponsored