Sponsored

For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough?

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi there,

I've reserved a 4-door Black Diamond, which I am REALLY excited about. My ONLY concern is will the vehicle have enough space for our family?

I'll be selling my VW Alltrack which is a bit too small in the backseat and will keep my wife's '19 Highlander which has plenty of space.

Currently, our family consists of:
-Me, 5'9
-Wife, 5'4
-4yo and 2yo
-110# Rhodesian Ridgeback

I've looked at the current Ranger and I think the backseat area is much too small for our needs. I was planning on getting a Gen 2 Raptor (used puts me at likely the same price point as a new Bronco, mid-$40's) prior to reserving a Bronco. The Raptor has a GINORMOUS back seat and obvious utility with the bed.

Would like to use the Bronco as DD, overlander, and perhaps some infrequent off-roading, though desert running sounds REALLY fun.

Anyone else with a similar family size and utility have any thoughts on the size/utility of the Bronco vs Raptor?
Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a family of five me, wife, three kids (12/9/8) and they fit in the back of my Challenger Scatpack (tightly) ... and fairly comfortably at n my Jeep Gladiator; I think the Bronco will be fine. But ... compare the published rear leg/head/hip room of the Bronco to the crew cab on the ranger to see how close it’ll be to what you can go sit in right now. Remember tho, the Bro co will have an enclosed cargo area for doggo, where the ranger “only” has the open bed ...

JK

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We have basically the same fam, I’m 5’9 wife is short plus a 5/2 yr olds but two dogs. I believe it will be plenty big. The cargo area is only 8cubic ft smaller than the wife’s current Durango behind the 2nd row with the third row flat.

we’re keeping the Durango for NY trips but I think we’ll be fine for cargo/fam space in the bronco

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a family of five me, wife, three kids (12/9/8) and they fit in the back of my Challenger Scatpack (tightly) ... and fairly comfortably at n my Jeep Gladiator; I think the Bronco will be fine. But ... compare the published rear leg/head/hip room of the Bronco to the crew cab on the ranger to see how close it’ll be to what you can go sit in right now. Remember tho, the Bro co will have an enclosed cargo area for doggo, where the ranger “only” has the open bed ...

JK
Well if you're 3 fit...we should be okay :)

If I had the Raptor, doggo would go at the kid's feet vs the bed. He'd probably love that. Alas, he'd really love the open-top driving of the Bronco, with a harness of course.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi there,

I've reserved a 4-door Black Diamond, which I am REALLY excited about. My ONLY concern is will the vehicle have enough space for our family?

I'll be selling my VW Alltrack which is a bit too small in the backseat and will keep my wife's '19 Highlander which has plenty of space.

Currently, our family consists of:
-Me, 5'9
-Wife, 5'4
-4yo and 2yo
-110# Rhodesian Ridgeback

I've looked at the current Ranger and I think the backseat area is much too small for our needs. I was planning on getting a Gen 2 Raptor (used puts me at likely the same price point as a new Bronco, mid-$40's) prior to reserving a Bronco. The Raptor has a GINORMOUS back seat and obvious utility with the bed.

Would like to use the Bronco as DD, overlander, and perhaps some infrequent off-roading, though desert running sounds REALLY fun.

Anyone else with a similar family size and utility have any thoughts on the size/utility of the Bronco vs Raptor?
I wouldn't expect much more out of the bronco than your alltrack. You may get a little more vertical but the length and width won't be much better. I look at the 2 dr and see widths and legroom similar to my wifes fiesta. The 4 door looks similar to my subaru imprezza.

Those big wheels take up a lot of space and the dimensions for width are out to out of flares and the length includes the spare.

I know everybody hates minivans - but when my kids were still at home it was great and doubled as a truck (ours could fit 4x8 sheets of drywall).

Sponsored
OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have basically the same fam, I’m 5’9 wife is short plus a 5/2 yr olds but two dogs. I believe it will be plenty big. The cargo area is only 8cubic ft smaller than the wife’s current Durango behind the 2nd row with the third row flat.

we’re keeping the Durango for NY trips but I think we’ll be fine for cargo/fam space in the bronco
Awesome, looking forward to the days of getting rid of the convertible car seats...although, it will be strange/sad to have kids that old/big!

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4 door is bigger than my 2013 Escape. If the 2 door had match or exceeded it I probably would’ve went that route.

spiG

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BD/20 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The rear leg room is 38” in the 4dr bronco. Rear leg room in ranger is 34. Durango is 38.6 and we have plenty of room in that so the half inch diff won’t cause any of a headache

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Better question - is anyone daring to get the sasquatch package for the 4 door (assuming it will be the family SUV / road tripper)? Or is that way too ambitious.

I am getting the 4 door as THE family hauler. 6-0", wife is 5-1", 2 year old, pushing for baby #2 (but will stop there), 40 lb dog. It will be the weekend mover, road tripper, and my cruiser. I actually dont drive during the week (even in pre-covid world) since i commute to NYC via a train station in walking distance.

Other car is a new S60 lease (designated for the wife), so leaning on the bronco for all family capabilities. OBX trim, no sasquatch. Hopefully, that gets the job done. Wife is a horrible driver, and too small / literally not capable of driving big cars/suvs without smashing them up. I would be the designated driver of the family SUV for raodtrips, etc. So if the Bronco doesnt provide enough cargo space for the family, i would have to sell it, and revert to a bigger suv plus sedan for her. I.e. if were we to need something bigger, say, a Q7, it would not work to have a Q7 and keep the bronco. As my wife cannot drive either. We would need a Q7 and a small CUV/sedan. So kinda rolling the dice here on the bronco. Worst case, maybe i could get a thule that still allows me to be able to take off the front roof panel.

Am I a bit off the reservation by thinking a 4 door bronco will be adequate? Or the ride (even on 32s in an OBX) will be too uncomfortable for 5+ hr road trips?

Rear A/C is also a concern, but i think we fleshed that out by saying the ranger has floor vents flanking the base of the center console. Hope that is the case, but somewhat skeptical given the floors can be hosed down.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks big enough for our needs. We have a minivan for the long haul anyways, but it seems like I can fit all 3 car seats across the back row snugly if i have to

Sunchaser99

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should be okay for local but would avoid For long trips personally.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The rear leg room is 38” in the 4dr bronco. Rear leg room in ranger is 34. Durango is 38.6 and we have plenty of room in that so the half inch diff won’t cause any of a headache
Where are you seeing that? I've been gripping for 2 weeks in multiple posts that Bronco's website shows 36.3" rear legroom for both the 2 door and 4 door, and have a suspicion that the 4 door measurement is inaccurate. Or are you thinking that the front legroom (43") is so massive, that you will be moving the front seat up 2 inches to make way for 38" in the rear?

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome, looking forward to the days of getting rid of the convertible car seats...although, it will be strange/sad to have kids that old/big!
Ah, enjoy it while it lasts. They will be 15 and 12 before you know it, like mine.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had to trade in my super cab F-150 for a Grand Cherokee last year when we got guardianship of my granddaughter. By the time I'm ready to buy she will be in a forward facing seat. So we will be good on that aspect. The deciding factor will be the cargo area. I plan to have a roof rack and cargo basket for trips. But I'm hoping the rear cargo area will be enough for local stuff with a stroller and still being able to fit other things.
Sponsored