Sponsored

For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough?

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, it will be big enough with 4 people.

I have 5 (me, wife, 3 kids 10, 7, 4). We have been on and off again about a new Wrangler for a few years now. We have gone on a few test drives. I grew up in a Jeep family. If the interior dimensions are similar to the Wrangler Unlimiteds, this thing will be fine for a family. Just put a reserve down and hope to have it next summer. This will be used as a toy but i'll daily it all summer long if i can steal the keys from the wife.
Right?! this is going to be my daily...But I'm not doing any commuting for the foreseeable future soo, it might be hard to keep the keys out of her hands once the weather gets nice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Day to day, with a 4dr, you'll be fine. If you do a lot of road trips, I'd get the Raptor.

We run the OBX frequently, 8 hours one way, and my two boys are 6' and 5'9 with a 75lb mutt in the back and there is room to spare.
It's one of those things where. I "want" to do more trips...but more likely we do the same amount...1-3 hour trips every couple months. Would like to do more overlanding with Raptor or Bronco.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very similar to my family though my kids are 9 and 3. I have an Xterra now and is actually similar in interior size to the 4 door bronco. We all fit though the forward facing seat for the 3 year does require moving up the front seat a bit. My wife is like yours (5'4") which will help. Once kids are in booster seats, it will make a world of difference LOL. Below are specs for both xterra and bronco for reference:

Xterra:

xterra specs.PNG

Bronco
bronco specs.PNG

There will be room in the rear of the bronco for the ridgeback as well. My brother has one similar size and that is plenty of room though I wouldnt want to do a road trip with the dog and luggage in the back LOL.
Thanks for sharing the specs of the Xterra. That helps with some context for sure. Yeah, if we had to do a road trip with the dog, he'd likely be in the back with ZERO luggage and the luggage would have to be on the roof or hitch mount box, plus floor of rear seats.

Maximus

Wildtrak
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Delorean
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After getting rid of a Double Cab LTZ Silverado...the 4 Door bronco will seem like wide open spaces. I still get yelled about that purchase from the Mrs.

NachoSox

Big Bend
First Name
Burke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion SE w/ 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Better question - is anyone daring to get the sasquatch package for the 4 door (assuming it will be the family SUV / road tripper)? Or is that way too ambitious.

I am getting the 4 door as THE family hauler. 6-0", wife is 5-1", 2 year old, pushing for baby #2 (but will stop there), 40 lb dog. It will be the weekend mover, road tripper, and my cruiser. I actually dont drive during the week (even in pre-covid world) since i commute to NYC via a train station in walking distance.

Other car is a new S60 lease (designated for the wife), so leaning on the bronco for all family capabilities. OBX trim, no sasquatch. Hopefully, that gets the job done. Wife is a horrible driver, and too small / literally not capable of driving big cars/suvs without smashing them up. I would be the designated driver of the family SUV for raodtrips, etc. So if the Bronco doesnt provide enough cargo space for the family, i would have to sell it, and revert to a bigger suv plus sedan for her. I.e. if were we to need something bigger, say, a Q7, it would not work to have a Q7 and keep the bronco. As my wife cannot drive either. We would need a Q7 and a small CUV/sedan. So kinda rolling the dice here on the bronco. Worst case, maybe i could get a thule that still allows me to be able to take off the front roof panel.

Am I a bit off the reservation by thinking a 4 door bronco will be adequate? Or the ride (even on 32s in an OBX) will be too uncomfortable for 5+ hr road trips?

Rear A/C is also a concern, but i think we fleshed that out by saying the ranger has floor vents flanking the base of the center console. Hope that is the case, but somewhat skeptical given the floors can be hosed down.
Ford did confirm that there are rear A/C vents beneath the front seats on the floor.

Sponsored

rotten_sponns

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra, 2011 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i dont think i have seen one of these. what are you guys thinking for a bronco with young kids?

C2C1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i dont think i have seen one of these. what are you guys thinking for a bronco with young kids?
Im hoping that with the 2 large dogs in the 4door bronco that my wife will drop the baby topic:unsure:. But the way its going with the delivery timeframe, that may be too late.

BAMBALAM

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Edge Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We currently own a 2008 Lexus GX470 with two forward facing car seats in the back. Kind of tight but everyone is good with it and no major issues. The leg room is listed as very close to the 4 door Bronco specs. In my opinion it's the minimum acceptable for me and the family.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My 4 door JK has served pretty well with three boys and a mid size dog. There was a metal plate I put under the middle rear seat to improve the support, but otherwise we’ve put a lot of miles in and many expeditions. Also wonderful because the seats and floors are designed for grass and mud from cleats, sports gear and dogs.

Everything from sports practices, to road trips, to camping, driving out on the beach, hauling self made rafts to camp, towing the boat, ski trips, and dorm / apartment move in and out. Toddler on up ...

The cargo volume of the 4dr Bronco is a little less Than the JKU, but I think it will be equally as valuable a family vehicle.

rynomar

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Convertible car seats are the worst. They are massive. Good luck with the thin car seats! I think there are some out there.
Take a look at Clek Fllo convertible car seats. We have three kids (3, 2, and 1) and can fit all of them in the back of a 2016 4runner. Based on the specs, it looks like the 4Runner has 55.7" of hip room compared to 54.8" in the Bronco. The Clek Fllo is 16.9" wide, so there is plenty of room!

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where there's a will there's a way. I've carried my large family around in all sorts of vehicles from a Corvette with one son beside me in his Recaro car seat, to three sons with me in my 911, to a Wrangler JKU, etc, etc, etc. Had a minivan for a while due the kids being so numerous but I would pass on that if I had to do it all over again. Sometimes we had to take two cars, but that was a price we were happy to pay to be able to drive what we wanted.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After getting rid of a Double Cab LTZ Silverado...the 4 Door bronco will seem like wide open spaces. I still get yelled about that purchase from the Mrs.
I love my double cab Sierra. My family right now is just myself, my wife, and two dogs, at 30, and 75 lb.

It is amazing for long road trips. Quiet and comfortable, with good fuel range. The bench seat up front leaves plenty of room for a backpack on the transmission hump, and the wide centre console is great for books or a laptop, when my wife is working on her degree. The dogs get the rear of the cab, and have plenty of room. The bed hauls a ridiculous amount of cargo. If the cargo fits below the bed rails, it can be covered and dry. If the cargo extends above the bed rails, I use totes to keep the critical items dry.

If/when we have a kid, my answer will probably change. lol In that case, there is a good chance I'll keep the truck, and my wife's vehicle will be the family hauler. I expect the Bronco could work as her vehicle in that scenario.

DingoDog

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 5 month old now and my wife’s Rogue and my double cab Tundra both have less legroom so I’m excited
Sponsored