Sponsored

For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't have kids at home now, but when I did, the Suburban was a life saver. Two kids, two dogs, and half a house full of stuff on every trip.

I'm sure the 4dr Bronco will be fine for day to day stuff, but I'd want something bigger for trips, especially if the dog is coming along.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow, I know mom's that daily 1970's 911s with 2 kids in the back, I guess it is all perspective where you have lived or where you currently live.

A Ford Bronco is plenty big for 2 kids, especially for med/smaller adults in the front. I will be using it with 3 kids in the back and a cargo box on top for ski trips, but typically I own sports cars and have always drove my kids around.

I daily drove a BMW M3 Sedan for almost 5 years, doing 7 hour road trips frequently. Manual transmission, RWD, smallish car, 5 passengers, kids never said one word about the size of the car.
In fact, they were sad when I sold it. Whenever we hit a tunnel they wanted me to rev the engine...it was a blast. You will be fine with the Bronco.
Perspective is true. Kids are fine in the car. Regardless of size. I just can't wait to get rid of the giant car seats. They take up all the space. I mentioned to someone earlier, that I'm just glad to be out of the stroller phase, that was the worst, having to pack that thing around.

OP
OP
jonwithanelcamino

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll join the club. Since I have a company car (Charger) we are a one car family with a ‘17 Escape.

We have a 3yo and a 1yo with the third due late December. We will have more room than the Escape offers but if I decide it’s too tight for the period of time we have three car seats, will have to cancel the reservation and go Explorer. Trying to avoid that and just buy once, cry once with the Bronc.

the other option is to deeply research the “thin” car seats.
Convertible car seats are the worst. They are massive. Good luck with the thin car seats! I think there are some out there.

JBoi-ET

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC AT4/ Expy
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've heard good things about the Telluride. They were brand new when we got the Highlander, but I sorta have wish we had waited, although we got a good deal on the Highlander.
It's been great, no complaints whatsoever. First Kia ever and wife chose it over much more expensive vehicles. Might end up keeping that and getting rid of the AT4 instead.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right now its just wife, 2 dogs (70lbs each) and myself. My DD is a ‘17 f150 screw and wife’s DD is a newer GC trailhawk. We’re always taking my truck because the cabin is so spacious. Rear seats in the truck have always been folded up and the GC folded down. When we overland, everything is in the offroad camper and would think with the seats folded down, space should be somewhat close to the GC. A kid (if she has her way) will be down the road.

Wife has a reservation for a 4dr badlands and wants the sasquatch to replace her GC.

Sponsored

Slow55

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRX, Mojave, Bel Air & 392 Jeep on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, it will be big enough with 4 people.

I have 5 (me, wife, 3 kids 10, 7, 4). We have been on and off again about a new Wrangler for a few years now. We have gone on a few test drives. I grew up in a Jeep family. If the interior dimensions are similar to the Wrangler Unlimiteds, this thing will be fine for a family. Just put a reserve down and hope to have it next summer. This will be used as a toy but i'll daily it all summer long if i can steal the keys from the wife.

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After realizing the Bronco might not be the right fit for me in the flat Midwest...I looked Explorer, and now the telluride....it’ll be those three to choose from when the Bronco actually hits the showrooms.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Day to day, with a 4dr, you'll be fine. If you do a lot of road trips, I'd get the Raptor.

We run the OBX frequently, 8 hours one way, and my two boys are 6' and 5'9 with a 75lb mutt in the back and there is room to spare.

Chewcudda

Black Diamond
First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
kia soul, mini cooper, kawasaki versys
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
me: 6'6" wife: 5'9" 2 13 y/o's just took the mini countryman on a trip from North Texas to Houston.
We can also pile into my kia soul without much fuss. it should be fine.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Currently, our family consists of:
-Me, 5'9
-Wife, 5'4
-4yo and 2yo
-110# Rhodesian Ridgeback

Very similar to my family though my kids are 9 and 3. I have an Xterra now and is actually similar in interior size to the 4 door bronco. We all fit though the forward facing seat for the 3 year does require moving up the front seat a bit. My wife is like yours (5'4") which will help. Once kids are in booster seats, it will make a world of difference LOL. Below are specs for both xterra and bronco for reference:

Xterra:

Ford Bronco For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough? xterra specs.PNG

Bronco
Ford Bronco For those of you with families / kids, is it big enough? bronco specs.PNG

There will be room in the rear of the bronco for the ridgeback as well. My brother has one similar size and that is plenty of room though I wouldnt want to do a road trip with the dog and luggage in the back LOL.

Sponsored

tgunn_ocs

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

True, roof box for the win! It is also a huge help that we are out of the stroller phase, talk a bout a waste of cargo space.

I'm pretty keen on looking into some of the hitch mounted box options. Perhaps save some gas mileage/wind noise that way...but then we'd have to put bikes on the roof. Hmm. Ok, cargo box on the roof, bikes on the back. Done.
Excited to be out of the stroller stage? Try Four teenagers, two that drive, a third that will drive by the time I take delivery.... it is even more exciting when they aren't even in the car with you! The bigger problem now is driveway space!

tgunn_ocs

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have kids at home now, but when I did, the Suburban was a life saver. Two kids, two dogs, and half a house full of stuff on every trip.

I'm sure the 4dr Bronco will be fine for day to day stuff, but I'd want something bigger for trips, especially if the dog is coming along.
Love my Suburban....room for everyone and everything.

Last edited:

317_OffRoad

Outer Banks
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Dodge charger, 2019 Santa Fe,96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Better question - is anyone daring to get the sasquatch package for the 4 door (assuming it will be the family SUV / road tripper)? Or is that way too ambitious.

I am getting the 4 door as THE family hauler. 6-0", wife is 5-1", 2 year old, pushing for baby #2 (but will stop there), 40 lb dog. It will be the weekend mover, road tripper, and my cruiser. I actually dont drive during the week (even in pre-covid world) since i commute to NYC via a train station in walking distance.

Other car is a new S60 lease (designated for the wife), so leaning on the bronco for all family capabilities. OBX trim, no sasquatch. Hopefully, that gets the job done. Wife is a horrible driver, and too small / literally not capable of driving big cars/suvs without smashing them up. I would be the designated driver of the family SUV for raodtrips, etc. So if the Bronco doesnt provide enough cargo space for the family, i would have to sell it, and revert to a bigger suv plus sedan for her. I.e. if were we to need something bigger, say, a Q7, it would not work to have a Q7 and keep the bronco. As my wife cannot drive either. We would need a Q7 and a small CUV/sedan. So kinda rolling the dice here on the bronco. Worst case, maybe i could get a thule that still allows me to be able to take off the front roof panel.

Am I a bit off the reservation by thinking a 4 door bronco will be adequate? Or the ride (even on 32s in an OBX) will be too uncomfortable for 5+ hr road trips?

Rear A/C is also a concern, but i think we fleshed that out by saying the ranger has floor vents flanking the base of the center console. Hope that is the case, but somewhat skeptical given the floors can be hosed down.
I have OBX 4 door reserved and plan to SAS it. plus some other options. if need be ill go up or down in trim. Ive got a newborn on the way and i dont think sas will be to much for dd if you can afford the vehicle. we have a 19' santa fe for long trips too so maybe its right for me but not for others. plus with the Squatch i can flex on curbs in the daycare parking lot. :ROFLMAO:

Washbjj88

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, its those rear facing car seats that mess everything up re: space. I think you'll be fine, until year 3 when they are in the convertible car seat and start kicking your seat and scuffing them up :)
Bronco designers can't fix parenting problems. scuffs are just a must have accessory.?

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've got 4 kids, no matter what we won't fit. I keep saying, since we all won't fit i get the 2 door. Just have to take something else with the whole family. The bronco is mine.
Aaah I see...good foresight to have kids in order to get the amazing 2 door. You are playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers
Sponsored