Sponsored

For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know it makes no financial sense to go out and buy a temporary vehicle to get by until the Broncos come in. But the idea of going another year without being able to "get out there" sucks!

I've seen many posts of folks that have purchased a different off road vehicle in the meantime. I'm curious, did you crunch numbers and come up with something where you are not taking some huge financial hit in say a year when we hopefully are getting our Broncos?

For the last few days, I've been racking my brain and I can only come up with 3 options, all seem like really bad ideas...

1) Buy a new vehicle (Wrangler, 4runner, Bronco Sport) ... And potentially take a 10k hit when selling it soon (OTD vs selling price)

2) Buy a 3-6 year old off road vehicle that has taken the hit and gamble I don't get some Wrangler that has electrical gremlins or death wobble, or any vehicle that will cost me a crap load to keep running.

3) lease but then I'm locked in and definitely tossing money away.

Just wondering what rhyme or reason you guys came up with to make it a "good" decision... Or did you just say F it, regardless what kind of financial hit?
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was lucky in that my friend had his built Xterra sitting in the driveway not being used, so I'm borrowing it long term for my "rock therapy". But that Xterra gets single digit mpgs so I did buy a temp vehicle. I found a deal on a 2004 Lexus GX for $500 (rusted out frame that probably wouldn't pass inspection in most states) that I may keep after getting the Bronco to keep the DD miles off.

I think your best bet would have been to buy a used vehicle to hold you over ... 6 months ago. With the state of used car prices right now and the likelihood that they will crash once supply chains catch back up, I think you'll end up losing your shirt on anything you buy now, unless you can find a phenomenal deal on it.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive pondered the same things and have been researching for the past few weeks now. I can tell you a few definitive things from multiple dealerships, multiple markets, multiple stories:

- new inventory is shrinking and dont expect this to get better anytime soon. because of shortages and stoppages we might be seeing empty lots for months because of whats coming.

- used values are EXPLODING. ive been to multiple dealerships and have seen similar spec used vehicles with prices at or exceeding the new value (assuming you can find the new equivalent).

My lease is up 6/30 and not surprising my residual payoff is very high because I never intended to purchase it. That being said, I had it evaluated and my "written offer" is $5,000 over the payoff amount, so I sent my leasing company a check to buy out my lease and intend on trading to make profit/save on taxes. I think my plan is to wait until next week to see if Im being scheduled, and if Im not I plan on buying a new truck while I still can and when I do get the Bronco either trade in for it or sell it at premium if Im happy with the "interim" vehicle.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it makes no financial sense to go out and buy a temporary vehicle to get by until the Broncos come in. But the idea of going another year without being able to "get out there" sucks!

I've seen many posts of folks that have purchased a different off road vehicle in the meantime. I'm curious, did you crunch numbers and come up with something where you are not taking some huge financial hit in say a year when we hopefully are getting our Broncos?

For the last few days, I've been racking my brain and I can only come up with 3 options, all seem like really bad ideas...

1) Buy a new vehicle (Wrangler, 4runner, Bronco Sport) ... And potentially take a 10k hit when selling it soon (OTD vs selling price)

2) Buy a 3-6 year old off road vehicle that has taken the hit and gamble I don't get some Wrangler that has electrical gremlins or death wobble, or any vehicle that will cost me a crap load to keep running.

Just wondering what rhyme or reason you guys came up with to make it a "good" decision... Or did you just say F it, regardless what kind of financial hit?
In this day and time what is the best decision?
I posted something similar the other day.
Went and checked out the Gladiator.
New one is 47,2something.
IF I put $ down, it is money saved for the bronco Down pymt.
If I don't, payments north of $700/month, every month between now and delivery.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

You seem to be missing an option to purchase something over 10y old and have the off road upgrades added to it be worth more than the vehicle itself ... I point this combination out because I'd guess the vast majority of truly capable off roaders that actually get used as such fall into this category.

You can beat the tar out of it and not go home crying because it has a few scratches or dents, and make whatever modifications tickle your fancy and not be worried about resale value because the vehicle itself is practically worthless.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You seem to be missing an option to purchase something over 10y old and have the off road upgrades added to it be worth more than the vehicle itself ... I point this combination out because I'd guess the vast majority of truly capable off roaders that actually get used as such fall into this category.

You can beat the tar out of it and not go home crying because it has a few scratches or dents, and make whatever modifications tickle your fancy and not be worried about resale value because the vehicle itself is practically worthless.
This is basically what I did, or am in the middle of doing. I found a lightly modded 15 year old vehicle that I can smash around in for the next year or so. I spent enough for it to be "reliable" but not so much I'll care if I rip the wheels off it. Based on its performance, and if delays drag out more, I may add some additional mods.

I had taken a break from off roading for some time to deal with life stuff and now that it's all in order I can get back into it. This will allow me to jump in this year rather than wait for 2022.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Place close to me has a great 01 TJ with a Terraflex setup, new engine (about 100k ago), good looking from the road for about 10k OBO. Now if I was looking strictly for a beater box and sometimes driver...I’d be on it.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I bought a Ford Ranger Tremor (Lariat) to hold me over until the Bronco comes. I've posted about this a few times, and for my financial situation, it made sense. Mostly.

There is a huge gamble here.. We are all banking on the concept that the used car market will stay jacked for the next 6-18 months while the shortages work themselves out. If the gamble fails, I'll stand to lose roughly 5K on this truck based on current depreciation rates. $5K is cheaper than renting a car for 6 months, and this is a fully loaded Tremor. Amazing truck.

1.)You wont take a $10K hit unless you REALLY screw things up. The market is completely different right now than any time in the past as far as I know of. Used vehicles are selling above MRSP for new at a lot of dealerships. I dont understand the math, but it is what it is.

2.)In my opinion, investing in a used vehicle right now in this market is a way bigger gamble. Unless you find a smoking deal, you will be lucky to save 10% over new MSRP, and with new, you have the warranty etc.

3.) Dont lease offroad vehicles. Ever. The penalties for damage will cancel out any savings over a traditional loan.

I spoke with just about every Ford dealer in town (Phoenix), and for the most part, they all expect to be out of new vehicles to sell in the next 90 days. Used vehicles will keep their lots afloat.. and if they can't find used vehicles to sell, they will have to furlough employees.

Someone, at some point, it going to be the bag holder. Its up to you if you risk that being you. For me, I can afford the potential hit and still put as much down on the Bronco as needed to keep the monthly payments low. Im an investor, so I'm used to higher risk when compared to the average person.

My bad advice is this: If you need a vehicle or just cant wait - go buy a new one. Deals are still to be had right now and its only going to get worse. Ford seems to be willing to negotiate on prices, but I also looked at a Ram Rebel and they weren't willing to negotiate at all. Keep an eye on market demands to help make your decision on what to purchase if you plan on reselling in the next 12 months. Trucks are the safest bet, followed by general 4x4 vehicles.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went 2 years old on my Cherokee Trailhawk. The two biggest hits on depreciation are out of it by then. Got 2.9% for 60 on the loan so not paying much in interest. 2-3 years old seems to be the sweet spot for being new enough to get a solid rate and some warranty but old enough to not lose a ton on depreciation trading it back in in a year or so. Especially with used car prices right now. My biggest goal was to hold on to as much equity as possible from the Camaro I had paid off and put towards the Jeep purchase and eventually get back out of to get towards the Bronco. I figure my biggest loss of ground will actually be the sales tax. The difference between the price of the Jeep and what I got for the Chevy, on trade, was within the window I wanted to be in tho. But the Camaro was going to need tires, brakes and rotors this summer so I was going to be out of pocket a bit anyways. What I expect to lose in sales tax, depreciation and interest will basically be a wash to what I expected to have to drop in maintenance. The bonus is that the Jeep can get me out camping this summer whereas the Camaro doesn't do too well on anything more off-road than maybe wet grass.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All vehicle manufacturers are exploiting COVID-19 scarcity to drive up selling prices closer to MSRP or over for limited editions. You've been able to get $8-10K off of new trucks for the last 5+ years. This is just a ratcheting effect (scheme?) like the 2008 crisis, but sort of a mirror to it. People jacked up the real estate markets until the crash and the people who always had money bought cheap and then jacked it up all over again. Vehicle manufacturers have jacked up the MSRPs while giving lots of rebates and dealers giving discounts and are now using scarcity to bring the actual sales prices up to those numbers and then they'll raise MSRPs again with more discounts and we'll all be so happy to have discounts again despite paying more.

Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've been looking into buying a gen 3 or 4 Bronco to drive for a couple years while Ford works out the new Bronco's gremlins. With as little as I actually drive I'd probably turn a profit on the flip. Wife keeps vetoing the idea though because she has convinced herself any car more then 10 years old is a deathtrap.

Besides the obvious financial advantages of an older vehicle. I have enough experience with a gen 3 that maintaining one would be simple enough and the nostalgia is real for me.

So instead I'm just going to dump more money in my existing truck so it feels as close to "new" as I'd want it to. That likely means no 4wd for a couple years though

Last edited:

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve considered selling my Jeep just because the value is so high.... and then I realize I’d still be spending $5k on a total shitbox that I have no mechanical knowledge about to get around in the meantime. Or spend $30 on Ubers one way.

Glad I bought my “gap” vehicle 2 years ago.

Ttp2017

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had this same dilemma back in February as my Audi SQ5 was getting higher milage and I did not want to wait another year to hit the trails. Traded my Audi into Carvana for a great price and bought a low milage FJ Cruiser for 14K and if my math is right I will be able to drive it for a year and put 15k miles on it and sell it for the same exact price. If you look into it, FJ Cruisers are the #1 vehicle for holding their value and have even been increasing slightly.
Ford Bronco For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle? IMG_5290.JPG

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I sold my car and motorcycle and will have a new vehiclein a few weeks. My dealer is offering a great lease deal on a Jeep Gladiator so I jumped on the deal and will have a 2021 Gladiator to drive around for a few months. The dealer is also buying back the Gladiator when my Bronco arrives no questions asked. I was getting tired of my car nickel and diming me lately with dumb repairs. There are deals out there if you look.
Sponsored