Sponsored

For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle?

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My bad advice is this: If you need a vehicle or just cant wait - go buy a new one. Deals are still to be had right now and its only going to get worse. Ford seems to be willing to negotiate on prices, Trucks are the safest bet, followed by general 4x4 vehicles.
This is the same thought process that led me to just purchase a new Ranger 4X4 Off Road Crew, the price I paid for new (with d-plan) was LESS than some dealers one year old used Ranger, go figure. Is it a crawler, no, but it will make a great desert runner with a few mod's. Almost 10" of GC and a rear locker, and it will take KO2 33's without more than the leveling kit. Not losing money on interest as I paid cash, and it will be a high demand truck when it comes time to trade it in on my BL's...... in 12-18 months.
Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Right now I'm driving the wife's old Expedition. Figure I have about a year left on the tires.

If necessary, I'll buy a late 90's Cherokee or Tacoma to drive while waiting for the Bronco to show up.

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you just the need it to "get out there" and have a decent tow vehicle look into a SxS. I bought a used Rzr with upgrades and have been hitting the trails. My wife loved it and we ended up canceling the Bronco. Also had a lot to do with showing her a video of what I wanted to do in Moab. She said "hell no! You're not doing that with our 60K Bronco".

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trying to hold out until the end of May for an estimated build date before I sell my JKU. If it is after I move to Dallas at the end of the summer (most likely), the Jeep may be getting some extra love and come with me.

Original plan was to sell it up here in Michigan, but I am not sure I will want to deal with finding and selling another vehicle in what I hope will be a short time frame

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sold my very well built & beloved 2012 Tacoma two weeks ago. I was sad to see her go. Picked up a 2014 Wrangler Sport with 32k miles. I plan to drive the Jeep until my 2D is ready. Then the Jeep becomes the third family vehicle, our eldest daughter will be driving soon.
Ford Bronco For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle? 04E5D9A4-1CE7-48B7-93F5-F10DB2268039

Sponsored

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had this same dilemma back in February as my Audi SQ5 was getting higher milage and I did not want to wait another year to hit the trails. Traded my Audi into Carvana for a great price and bought a low milage FJ Cruiser for 14K and if my math is right I will be able to drive it for a year and put 15k miles on it and sell it for the same exact price. If you look into it, FJ Cruisers are the #1 vehicle for holding their value and have even been increasing slightly.
Ford Bronco For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle? 04E5D9A4-1CE7-48B7-93F5-F10DB2268039
The FJ market is insane right now. My 2014 Trail Teams UE with 60k miles is worth about $10K more than when I purchased new.

ElBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bronco Sport FE fell into my lap end of December. Got it for roughly $1,400 under MSRP with x-plan. My 06 Denali was falling apart and didn't want to dump 3k into it just to keep it going another year +.

I figured at the time I'd take a 10k hit on trade in on my big Bronco, now looking like might be less. Or my wife might take it over, and we trade in her QX60. It's actually a great little truck that has taken everything I've thrown at it. Might keep it around in the end.

Lease wasn't really a good option for me. I knew I'd be getting it off road a good bit, and didn't want to worry about damage. Plus the lease numbers sucked, seemed like it would cost less to take depreciation than to pay lease costs.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought a 94 Acura Legend for a temp vehicle while I try and sell my 14’ GX460. I still have a Miata NB and E55 swapped wagon. Waiting patiently with my 2/24 reservation date.... lol
Ford Bronco For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle? 70EB07DC-2D05-4A88-8117-CB503F8F82A3

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You could find someone who wants their lease taken over. Swap a lease has some. Some companies restrict it to residents of the same state.

tatud4life

Base
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm buying a temp vehicle from my dealer with the idea of trading it back in when my Bronco arrives. Hopefully, I won't lose my butt at trade in time.

Sponsored

madbaird

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I still have my 2010 FX4 and was pondering selling it and using the wife vehicle as she is out on vacation all summer. Then yesterday the transmission went out on the truck...$4k to fix, which was to go towards the down-payment on the Bronco. At this point, might as well keep it and hope prices are good still whenever my Bronco is delivered. Which with the deadly four on my order might be MY22. Gives me a chance to make-up the money spent on my truck for the down-payment.

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it makes no financial sense to go out and buy a temporary vehicle to get by until the Broncos come in. But the idea of going another year without being able to "get out there" sucks!

I've seen many posts of folks that have purchased a different off road vehicle in the meantime. I'm curious, did you crunch numbers and come up with something where you are not taking some huge financial hit in say a year when we hopefully are getting our Broncos?

For the last few days, I've been racking my brain and I can only come up with 3 options, all seem like really bad ideas...

1) Buy a new vehicle (Wrangler, 4runner, Bronco Sport) ... And potentially take a 10k hit when selling it soon (OTD vs selling price)

2) Buy a 3-6 year old off road vehicle that has taken the hit and gamble I don't get some Wrangler that has electrical gremlins or death wobble, or any vehicle that will cost me a crap load to keep running.

3) lease but then I'm locked in and definitely tossing money away.

Just wondering what rhyme or reason you guys came up with to make it a "good" decision... Or did you just say F it, regardless what kind of financial hit?
Ranger Lease is up so I'm saying F it. C6.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks all... So I guess the key is to get find a good deal so make sure I have the best chance of not taking a hit in a year. Good luck with that!

I'm trying to wait until Ford gives me an indication as to how long my wait is going to be but we know how well that is going.

I forgot about the X plan...joined the Mustang Clug at the beginning of this mess... Maybe should try to use it on a Sport or Ranger. Makes me nervous to dip into the Bronco money that much though.

Love the beater idea...but it is going to have to get me to work and back until the bronco comes in.

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks all... So I guess the key is to get find a good deal so make sure I have the best chance of not taking a hit in a year. Good luck with that!

I'm trying to wait until Ford gives me an indication as to how long my wait is going to be but we know how well that is going.

I forgot about the X plan...joined the Mustang Clug at the beginning of this mess... Maybe should try to use it on a Sport or Ranger. Makes me nervous to dip into the Bronco money that much though.

Love the beater idea...but it is going to have to get me to work and back until the bronco comes in.
I'm in the same boat. From the time I posted to now I got a call from dealer saying I'll get an order email soon saying I am scheduled for July 19th build date. They said second week in August would be earliest I'll get it. I have to decide if I grab a beater (thinking crown vic lol) or if I try my hand at getting a C6 from now until end of August and trade it in for Bronco. Not really a smart idea but certainly the fun idea. Glad to hear there are other people in this situation

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve commented a few times. Put reserve $ on this, going to do the title switch and pay the rest Friday.
I’ll love it and wheel/drive it until next year sometime.
Deals are out there, just gotta do some digging.

Ford Bronco For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle? 438A724B-3466-481A-A266-74B32C1BB0CB
Sponsored