Sponsored

For those that have purchased a "temp" vehicle?

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I were in your shoes, I would definitely go used. Find a vehicle...like the FJ earlier in the thread...that holds its value and use it until the Bronco comes in. I wouldn't trade it in then, though. Private sales get so much more. If the market is still hot then, it shouldn't lose much if any.

I considered doing this with a Wrangler...using my down payment (around $20000) to buy a 3-5 year old one and hope to get most of it back. But alas, just as I was about to pull the trigger, I get a build date. Now let's see if I get strung along for months...
Sponsored

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm in the same boat. From the time I posted to now I got a call from dealer saying I'll get an order email soon saying I am scheduled for July 19th build date. They said second week in August would be earliest I'll get it. I have to decide if I grab a beater (thinking crown vic lol) or if I try my hand at getting a C6 from now until end of August and trade it in for Bronco. Not really a smart idea but certainly the fun idea. Glad to hear there are other people in this situation
August this year? That's a no brainer... Wait. I'm expecting to find out my Bronco won't be had until sometime in mid to late 2022

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought a 2021 Ranger FX4 and am going to keep my bronco reservation for 2022 and see how it plays out. I decided that even if I was offered a 2021, that there were too many sacrifices for the launch for my tastes. I want a color matched top and a paint color that I am in love with. I probably wonā€™t take delivery of a bronco until late 2022 at the earliest.

On the other hand, I really like the Ranger a lot. The 2.3 and 10 speed are a pretty excellent combo. I may well keep the truck a while and see how the 7mt is received and holds up for the first year or two. Basically I really needed a new vehicle and I wanted a capable 4x4. The ranger is likely capable enough off-road for my needs and it is comfortable and solid. I donā€™t feel rushed for the bronco at all now that I have something to drive.

As a bonus the resale values on rangers are off the charts right now. Members on the ranger forum have been selling to CarMax and carvana for very close to purchasing price on two year old rangers. I donā€™t feel stuck in this truck at all and it makes me like it even more. The old adage of losing 40% when you drive off the lot is dead right now for 4x4 vehicles.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I still have my 2010 FX4 and was pondering selling it and using the wife vehicle as she is out on vacation all summer. Then yesterday the transmission went out on the truck...$4k to fix, which was to go towards the down-payment on the Bronco. At this point, might as well keep it and hope prices are good still whenever my Bronco is delivered. Which with the deadly four on my order might be MY22. Gives me a chance to make-up the money spent on my truck for the down-payment.
Put a used trans in it $2000 installed. $4k seems overpriced.

Zeno

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Defender Trophy Edition, 20 Ranger, 911SC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just bought a 2020 Defender 110 with only 6,000 miles. Yes is was crazy expensive because of used car prices right now, but here was my logic. I bought a vehicle that I like very much, is in high demand due to limited availability, should hold its value in the short term, and I am okay with keeping if necessary. I am hedging my bets in that I know that I can sell my Bronco for a profit if I don't get enough for my Defender. While I am definitely a huge Bronco fan, I have come to terms with the fact that I can drive the Defender for a couple of years if it means that I can make a profit on the Bronco and get the exact Bronco that I want later down the road. I am also being honest enough with myself to know that I might not like the Bronco as much as the Defender once I finally get a chance to drive it.

I did not consider a lease because I already have a build date, so I don't want to essentially rent a vehicle for what is at the moment a short, but ultimately unknown time period.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a 2021 Ranger FX4 and am going to keep my bronco reservation for 2022 and see how it plays out. I decided that even if I was offered a 2021, that there were too many sacrifices for the launch for my tastes. I want a color matched top and a paint color that I am in love with. I probably wonā€™t take delivery of a bronco until late 2022 at the earliest.

On the other hand, I really like the Ranger a lot. The 2.3 and 10 speed are a pretty excellent combo. I may well keep the truck a while and see how the 7mt is received and holds up for the first year or two. Basically I really needed a new vehicle and I wanted a capable 4x4. The ranger is likely capable enough off-road for my needs and it is comfortable and solid. I donā€™t feel rushed for the bronco at all now that I have something to drive.

As a bonus the resale values on rangers are off the charts right now. Members on the ranger forum have been selling to CarMax and carvana for very close to purchasing price on two year old rangers. I donā€™t feel stuck in this truck at all and it makes me like it even more. The old adage of losing 40% when you drive off the lot is dead right now for 4x4 vehicles.
This, I did the same, I may end up keeping the Ranger as my 2 door BL won't have much cargo room :)

zgoods

Badlands
First Name
Zgoods
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This, I did the same, I may end up keeping the Ranger as my 2 door BL won't have much cargo room :)
I am contemplating this as well right now, except for a BL bronco sport. I also test drove a mustang so I'm really torn thinking it will be fun to have a sports car for a bit before I have the Bronco for the foreseeable future.

I plan to lease as its no money down and a lower payment, buy-out when the Bronco comes and then resell.

OP
OP

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am contemplating this as well right now, except for a BL bronco sport. I also test drove a mustang so I'm really torn thinking it will be fun to have a sports car for a bit before I have the Bronco for the foreseeable future.

I plan to lease as its no money down and a lower payment, buy-out when the Bronco comes and then resell.
I got this same idea in my head, thinking the BL Sport should keep it's value more than the other Sport trims... Then read they are hard to find and can't be ordered. Didn't confirm, but figured the world was against me getting anything with the Bronco name ;)

zgoods

Badlands
First Name
Zgoods
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got this same idea in my head, thinking the BL Sport should keep it's value more than the other Sport trims... Then read they are hard to find and can't be ordered. Didn't confirm, but figured the world was against me getting anything with the Bronco name ;)
Yeah you cant order a BL with a BL package, (sunroof, B&O and something else) right now and they are almost all regular BLs are out of stock. I called many places and found a dealer demo model but they have to put a couple thousand miles on before selling so I will find out tomorrow when it might be ready. Def agree this will be the best resell trim level.

Ahaha I feel the same way! I said to myself "this is the last bronco sport I'm going after, if it falls through the world is telling me to go Mustang" lollll

chipstar

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I saw the delays mounting back in March, we bought a bmw convertible to enjoy during the summer while we wait. Will probably lose a little money on it, but the kids are loving it. And if the market stays silly, we may end up breaking even!

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know it makes no financial sense to go out and buy a temporary vehicle to get by until the Broncos come in. But the idea of going another year without being able to "get out there" sucks!

I've seen many posts of folks that have purchased a different off road vehicle in the meantime. I'm curious, did you crunch numbers and come up with something where you are not taking some huge financial hit in say a year when we hopefully are getting our Broncos?

For the last few days, I've been racking my brain and I can only come up with 3 options, all seem like really bad ideas...

1) Buy a new vehicle (Wrangler, 4runner, Bronco Sport) ... And potentially take a 10k hit when selling it soon (OTD vs selling price)

2) Buy a 3-6 year old off road vehicle that has taken the hit and gamble I don't get some Wrangler that has electrical gremlins or death wobble, or any vehicle that will cost me a crap load to keep running.

3) lease but then I'm locked in and definitely tossing money away.

Just wondering what rhyme or reason you guys came up with to make it a "good" decision... Or did you just say F it, regardless what kind of financial hit?
The company I work for was selling its old E150 vans. I jumped on this deal knowing I wonā€™t get my Bronco till next summer.
This van will help me get out with my overland trailer and let me go out kayaking and camping over the next year.
Plus it looks pretty good after I put a new set of wheels and tires on it. Who know I just might keep it or sell it for a lot of upgrades šŸ˜

6D1B0751-3597-4944-B474-2D91CBD8DF96.jpeg

F395AFDA-4BEF-4EE6-907C-C0F27014159C.jpeg
Sponsored