First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Demo: 21 Bronco BL (2dr 2.3 MT) Toy: 04 TJ Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are right, they are different engines but they are similar as well. Both are high pressure and hot engines that inevitably create oil vapors that seep back, thru to the valve seats.
Both engines have been developed with experience from racing technology and I wonder how they will last as daily drivers.
So i just want more info on 'em from people who know a lot more than I do.
The concern with valve coking (carbon deposits from burned oil) is from vaporised oil in the intake stream coming in from the PCV system, that is why oil separators ("catch cans") are inline on the PCV hose that feeds to the intake. The other end connects to the "low pressure" side of the engine, the valve train, crankcase, etc. There is a lot of action going on in there and it needs to be vented. It can't vent to atmosphere so it is routed back into the engine's intake to be burned in combustion. This hot air does have some oil vapour in it, and this causes coking problems on the valves of direct injected engines.

Oil vapour in the intake has been fine for years with manifold injection, either port or throttle body. In those fuel delivery systems, there is an air/fuel mix always passing over the back sides of the valves, reducing oil vapour deposits. When there is only direct injection, all the fuel goes directly into the cylinder, bypassing the valves, and there is no "washing" effect from the air alone. Direct injection combined with port injection is the best of both worlds, the engine can still run higher compression and boost because of the DI, but you also get the port injection "washing" effect.

The 2.3 Ecoboost only has direct injection, which is why many would recommend an oil catch can. The second generation 2.7 Ecoboost (2018+) has both direct and port injection, so a catch can is not as important.
Sponsored

Last edited:

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The concern with valve coking (carbon deposits from burned oil) is from vaporised oil in the intake stream coming in from the PCV system, that is why oil separators ("catch cans") are inline on the PCV hose that feeds to the intake. The other end connects to the "low pressure" side of the engine, the valve train, crankcase, etc. There is a lot of action going on in there and it needs to be vented. It can't vent to atmosphere so it is routed back into the engine's intake to be burned in combustion. This hot air does have some oil vapour in it, and this causes problem coking problems on the valves of direct injected engines.

Oil vapour in the intake has been fine for years with manifold injection, either port or throttle body. In those fuel delivery systems, there is an air/fuel mix always passing over the back sides of the valves, reducing oil vapour deposits. When there is only direct injection, all the fuel goes directly into the cylinder, bypassing the valves, and there is no "washing" effect from the air alone. Direct injection combined with port injection is the best of both worlds, the engine can still run higher compression and boost because of the DI, but you also get the port injection "washing" effect.

The 2.3 Ecoboost only has direct injection, which is why many would recommend an oil catch can. The second generation 2.7 Ecoboost (2018+) has both direct and port injection, so a catch can is not as important.
Excellent info .... Thank You

I plan to drive this thing to the ground ..... Now when you say a catch can is not as important on the 2.7 Ecoboost, does that mean installing one is unnecessary?

MattECDNdealer

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Demo: 21 Bronco BL (2dr 2.3 MT) Toy: 04 TJ Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent info .... Thank You

I plan to drive this thing to the ground ..... Now when you say a catch can is not as important on the 2.7 Ecoboost, does that mean installing one is unnecessary?
I won't say that, because someone smarter than me will probably come a long with a few benefits. I would say that there is no downside to installing one, besides having to empty it occasionally.

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Water cooled exhaust manifolds? What's the reasoning for those?.... I'd figure more heat for the turbos would be beneficial. Unless they do it for durability reasons.
I'm not crazy about the Integrated Front Cover... is the water pump replaceable? Hope I don't have to deal with crazy maint costs 20 years from now.
Anybody know what boost levels these run at? Think I saw 15-ish. Wonder how much they can take.
Not sure of the reasons for the water cooled exhaust manifolds... but cooler air is better for the turbos as it's more dense.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would prefer to see an aluminum oil pan but at least they aren't going with the plastic rear differential cover like they did on the first gen. Explorer :oops:

Sponsored

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure of the reasons for the water cooled exhaust manifolds... but cooler air is better for the turbos as it's more dense.
mneblett posted a link to an article which stated the water cooled exhaust manifolds gets the engine up to operating temp quicker, increasing efficiency/gas mileage.
It also makes the engine more compact and lighter.....it doesn't need heavy cast iron exhaust manifolds. A downside is we can't put headers on it to improve breathing and performance.
The writer is confused on his statement:
>>"Also, the exhaust gases exit the turbo at a lower temperature, then they travel through the intercooler and the temperature drops even more. By the time they reach the intake manifold, the air is denser, which means improved efficiency and more power."<<
Um, actually, it's not the exhaust gasses that travel thru the intercooler..... it's the intake charge on the 'other' side of the turbo.
Cool, dense air is beneficial on the intake/compressor side. For the exhaust/turbine side you want hot air.... it's less dense and has a higher volume which is what makes the turbo turbine spin.
I love turbos!.... my first was in a V6 Regal and then my daily driver '88 Saab 900 SPG. The Saab setup was a huge improvement over the '79 Buick.... can't wait to see what another 30 years of advancements will be like in my Bronco.

TheGhost

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2009 Mazda RX-8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 2016 Golf R and the motor is DI, the oil pan is plastic and it has an integrated exhaust manifold. My only concern was the possibility of carbon buildup due to DI and it varies wildly in terms of whether people get buildup. However, VW officially stated in the manual that revving beyond 4k rpm to heat the valves up would assist in reducing carbon buildup (in other words...Italian tuneup periodically). At 80k+ miles, I have not had any issues anywhere.

Going with the 2.7l for the Bronco, so don't have the DI issue but I don't have any worries with regards to a plastic or composite oil pan or integrated exhaust manifold. And to anyone concerned with long term longevity of turbo cars: this isn't the 90's, where turbo timers and coking of oil were serious concerns. Even in the 90's, a well designed turbo motor (2JZ, 4G63) could withstand serious high horsepower abuse for long periods of time.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would check out the F150 forums for first hand accounts with the 2.7. I’ve been visiting mustang and ranger forums to research the 2.3 since I’m going with the mansquatch

Sponsored

WhiskyBadger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 AND 20 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am coming from the F-150 forums and had a 2017 2.7l 6r80 trans and 3:73 gears in my xlt. I really liked that engine and would have no problems with owning another one.

The engine has plenty of power and the gas mileage was unbelievable in a truck that size with that type of acceleration. I did only run 93 in the truck and would classify my driving as very spirited. My truck did suffer from the leaking oil pan, and when I took it in to get fixed the dealer offered me way to much money for it so I traded it in on a 2020.

In all don't worry about the 2.7l its a proven and very solid engine that if taken care of will give you many years of problem free driving.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If its a lego though its machined to an impossibly precise tolerance and is indestructable and capable of inflicting horrendous pain to your wallet and your feet
I'm old school, has anyone ever played Jacks as a kid, now you step on one of those and I guarantee you will go through the roof ?

maxmxa

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a little worried about the integrated front cover (IFC) and the plastic.. I mean composite oil pan? ?
It will be a VERY costly water pump replacement due to this IFC when the time comes.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think the oil pan is protected.