Sponsored

Ford

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also heard earlier versions were prone to leaks. One thing I do like is the high volume drain. while messy, this will flush a lot of the contaminates out of the pan. Clean oil is critical for turbo life & this is something that will help.

Edit: I guess if I had read the article first, I would see it mentioned the leak issue & importance of clean oil
Ford Bronco Ford anon
Sponsored

Last edited:

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool Hand Luke

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The plastic oil pan is prone to leaking. The 2017 and early 2018 build Raptors have the “composite” oil pan. Ford changed to a metal oil pan in the Raptor late build 2018’s and beyond.

My Raptor is an early 2018 build. So far it hasn’t leak, but it’s probably just a matter of time.

Fordv8

Wildtrak
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have a 2012 f250 with 6.7 diesel and it has a plastic oil pan. Todate I have not had any issue with it leaking warping or any of the issues that people are concerned about a plastic oil.

Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As far as the composit oil pan is concerned I am not an engineer but I do know that a cast alloy pan is not all that durable and prone to shattering. So aside from a stamped steel unit you would likely not see much improvement from a 'metal' pan for impact resistance.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
There’s a guy on the F-150 forums that has over 350k on one. I’m not too worried for at least 15-20 years. And if stuff starts going wrong at that point V8 swap time anyways.

Monkey

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition MAX, F-350, a Tesla, & More...
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2018 Expedition with the plastic oil pan... Here I am 2.5 years and 30K miles later and no issues. <knock wood>

I suppose if it ends up giving me trouble, the new metal (aluminum?) pans are a direct swap. I asked the service guys about it at my 20K checkup and they said these have not been an issue. They had some leaking on the plastic pans on the F150 early on, but they didn’t think the metal pan was the fix. Whatever, I guess it is what it is... Not worried about this.

Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mass produced engines all have weak points. Just be prepared for a long wait, new model means not much on the repair parts stock is built up yet. Yes the 2.7L is already installed in several other vehicles, but theres no telling if they all use tje same oil pan. Front/mid/rear sump placement... Know someone with a welder and some skills? Maybe mom/pop aftermarket is the route to go.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

the 3.5 had a plastic oil pan but ford replaced it with a metal one after feb 26 2018 and gave no reason why.
Because they became a warranty issue, not uncommon for Raptors to have the plastic pan fail, mine hasn't, yet.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Water cooled exhaust manifolds? What's the reasoning for those?.... I'd figure more heat for the turbos would be beneficial. Unless they do it for durability reasons.
I'm not crazy about the Integrated Front Cover... is the water pump replaceable? Hope I don't have to deal with crazy maint costs 20 years from now.
Anybody know what boost levels these run at? Think I saw 15-ish. Wonder how much they can take.
Good article on the benefits: https://blog.grabcad.com/blog/2018/04/03/benefits-of-integrated-exhaust-manifolds/

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure it's okay. But I want better than good enough. I saw a thread here on 6g with a link to a Company that sells replacement aluminum oil pans for the 2.7. That'll be a consideration for me in the coming year or two.
That composite plastic pan may actually be more durable than a pressed, sheet aluminum pan.
Sponsored