First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious if the drain plug and threads are plastic on plastic or steel on steel thread insert in the plastic pan . Also regarding water pump can you just replace the pump or does the whole IFC cover have to be replaced ?
It's a plastic plug that turns 90degrees and then releases a deluge of dirty oil at you if you're not careful! ? It is way easier to use then a traditional steel oil pan drain plug that you need a wrench for... (I have actually replaced several traditional ones with Fumoto drain plugs in other vehicles I have owned) This one is similar in ease of use... I am curious about having to remove a skid plate to do this or if there will be an access hole to do oil changes...
Sponsored

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if the drain plug and threads are plastic on plastic or steel on steel thread insert in the plastic pan . Also regarding water pump can you just replace the pump or does the whole IFC cover have to be replaced ?
I'm wondering the same thing.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's a plastic plug that turns 90degrees and then releases a deluge of dirty oil at you if you're not careful! ? It is way easier to use then a traditional steel oil pan drain plug that you need a wrench for... (I have actually replaced several traditional ones with Fumoto drain plugs in other vehicles I have owned) This one is similar in ease of use... I am curious about having to remove a skid plate to do this or if there will be an access hole to do oil changes...
I'm wondering the same thing.
I think on the Ranger you have to remove the skid plate

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

true but ford never officially said why. I know you from the raptor forum. There is a mechanic on that raptor forum that have posted many times the failure was due to the improper use of an adhesive during assembly. Perhaps ford determined that over time more and more failures would occur so they made the switch to a metal oil pan.

anyway... I am happy that I purchased a 2019 with a metal oil pan
Well...
1. Howdy
2.I know who you speak of and I trust his word
3.I cant wait for the oil change threads on here LOL

everyone else, chill, there is a 5/60 warranty that covers the pan.

Sponsored

jdub.csu

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester, 2020 Honda, 2015 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 engine is fantastic being in a repair shop I have seen very little issues from it except minor issues with the first gen version which was fixed in the 2018 update. The 3.0 is also from the same family and again I've seen very little issues even on fleet vehicles with near 200K and shitty oil change history. I wouldn't run the 2.3L until the update it to dual injection.

Sponsored

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So hopefully there’s no timing chain or and no Oil burning issues with the 2.3 and 2.7 ecoboost motors.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Scott2373

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford F150, '18 Wrangler Sahara, 08 FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I've had a 2.7 in my F150's since 2015 and have not had any issues whatsoever with the engine or the plastic oil pan. 1G in my 2015 and 2G in my current 2018. I've been on F150Forum.com since 2015 and it's obvious to me that both generations of the 2.7L, both with the 6R80 and new 10R80 transmissions are the absolute best combination, as far as reliability and problem free operation goes. Around 2017 a lot of people were complaining about persistent leaks on the 3.5L, even after replacement. Ford temporarily switched to a metal pan, IIRC, but they went back to plastic in subsequent model years. The 2.7L never had these issues. I am a little curious as to why Ford knocked back the horses on the Bronco 2.7, however...Mine is rated at 325, but the Bronco's is rated at 310. Not a huge difference, but again, just curious. I was psyched when I read that Ford was going to put this engine in the Bronco! It's a screamer and when those turbos kick in, you'll be going places quickly! Granted, it's no race car, but this is the most powerful vehicle I've ever driven and impressed me the moment I got into the gas!

Scott2373

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That’s a first edition drain plug. All others are black.
Not true. That is the current generation of plugs. The first generation had a 3/8 square hole in the end so you could use a ratchet to remove the plug, but the front sway bar made it tough to get a ratchet in there if you had the heavy duty front sway bar with the towing package. The one pictured is the one that comes on the current gen. It says not to use tools on it, but it's a pain to get it out due to the placement of the front sway bar, so using a pair of pliers is necessary to get it off the last 1/4 turn. Ford also recommends changing out this plug every oil change, however I never swapped mine out on either truck and it's held up just fine. I do however have a few spares in the shop and in the truck, just in case.

Scott2373

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

so after all that's said and done, does the 2.7L EcoBoost V6 need an oil "CATCH CAN"?
You didn't just go there...Please, for the luva, don't even plant that seed! ;-)
Sponsored