Sponsored

Ford becomes "Official Vehicle" of King of the Hammers; does this mean Bronco will be there?

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I wouldn't mind the 427 V8 though.

Some 40 spline axles would probably alleviate a lot of concern over the durability of IFS, but being spooled kind of kills its road going advantages.

:turkey:
As long as you're turning fast enough to light an inside wheel, a spool isn't a problem
Sponsored

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just thought I would let y'all know, Mike Levine confirmed with me that there will not be an appearance at KOH. For those that were still hopeful.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And again, the IFS in these vehicle have absolutely nothing in common with production SLA IFS systems and are much more expensive to run than an equivalent solid axle setup.

Also, King of the Hammers is desert racing mixed with rock crawling. Look at W.E. Rock, there are zero IFS competitors...
guess you didn't read the post...or talk to teams.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
First and second place finishers in the unlimited 4400 class were solid front axle
thefinger.gif

Oh, and so were all of the top finishers in the Everyman Challenge (4600, 4500, and 4800 classes) as well...
ok so 3 of the last 5 winners have been IFS.
2 of top 5 and looks like 7 out of top 10 were IFS

but keep thinking SFS is the only way in life.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ya SFA guys you just need to move the motor to the back or where the existing firewall is and then custom fab the entire vehicle so you stay relatively close to stock width.
Super cheap and easy, might void warranties tho. You’ll have to check

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure what you are implying, but I'll bite.

Which post did I not read, and why do you think I haven't talked with any teams? Please enlighten me.
it was discussed several times during the broadcast that IFS was a cost and driver style preference. it was also shown to be just as capable on the rocks and more so at speed.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it was discussed several times during the broadcast that IFS was a cost and driver style preference. it was also shown to be just as capable on the rocks and more so at speed.
were we watching the same vids? cause the IFS was far behind the SFA on the rocks, most of the IFS guys had to just winch all the way through it. But the high speed section is long enough that they more than make up the time lost for an overall win.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m just curious if the Bronco will have any problems getting to a 0° approach and departure angle with how the wheels are inside the body vs then sticking out on the Jeep. If you want to get serious about crawling, that’s an upgrade that you’re going to want. (My buddy just did it on his rig)

Blue one:
Ford Bronco Ford becomes "Official Vehicle" of King of the Hammers; does this mean Bronco will be there? E431D00C-2BB5-4CF3-99EE-A562888F48EA

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
You are living in another reality. Everyone was talking about how IFS was a disadvantage in the rocks and how it was a tradeoff between performance in the rocks and speed in the desert. Obviously the cost of these completely custom IFS far exceeds that of an equivalent solid axle setup, so only top teams can afford to run IFS for the most part. Obviously it is driver preference, because it depends wher the driver want to give up or gain performance.

Have you ever actually been out to King of the Hammers?

In years past, but certainly not this year.
Show me how many MOSTLY STOCK NEWER SFA vehicles you see on a regular basis crawling? Very few.

iFs is better for 99.999999999999% of people for off roading and road travel.
And I said before. 3/5 of the past winners and 5/10 of KOH were IFS.

you can talk about capabilities all you want. But veryvery few will push a suv that far.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Show me how many MOSTLY STOCK NEWER SFA vehicles you see on a regular basis crawling? Very few.

you can talk about capabilities all you want. But veryvery few will push a suv that far.
Preface this with the fact I am content with IFS. I've said it before but I will say it again. The hardcore off road world will drive sales for average consumers. Its a simple fact. When people think of thier jeep, they think it can go anywhere. If the bronco can't bring on those same thoughts, thats a lot of potential sales out the window. So a SFA variant would be ideal. Its no different that going in to look at a gt350, and buying a mustang GT. They see the racecar, then realize that the road going version is more practical. Same thing could apply to the bronco. Go in for the rock monsters, then settle for the xlt. Or jeep, go in for the rubicon, come out with a sport, Just my 2 cents.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

um...nearly every vehicle crawling is an SFA jeep these days, cause noone else makes one. most of the yotas crawling have SFA swaps.

I guess you'll want to argue the 'mostly stock' part right? now we get to get into semantics. Anyone who ever attempts to argue that IFS is better in rocks or is stronger/as strong as SFA needs to get their head checked, and isn't even worth discussing the matter over. IFS is great at alot of things, like driving on the road, driving at high speeds. But it does not in any way, shape, or form, excel in strength, travel, or articulation. And in rocks and mud, those are the factors you are looking for, not high speed driving. Most trail riders would prefer SFA over IFS as well due to the higher strength allowing large tires, which is the only place (aside from portals) where you gain actual clearance.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are living in another reality. Everyone was talking about how IFS was a disadvantage in the rocks and how it was a tradeoff between performance in the rocks and speed in the desert. Obviously the cost of these completely custom IFS far exceeds that of an equivalent solid axle setup, so only top teams can afford to run IFS for the most part. Obviously it is driver preference, because it depends wher the driver want to give up or gain performance.

Have you ever actually been out to King of the Hammers?

In years past, but certainly not this year.
the portion I watch commented over and over again on how IFS is just as capable as solid axles cost aside. as you said only top teams can afford IFS but why would they choose that if it puts them at a disadvantage?

I don't really have skin in the game a stick or IFS will do just fine for my needs that said I've been though JV many times along with Rubicon and a few other CA/NV gems.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
um...nearly every vehicle crawling is an SFA jeep these days, cause noone else makes one. most of the yotas crawling have SFA swaps.

I guess you'll want to argue the 'mostly stock' part right? now we get to get into semantics. Anyone who ever attempts to argue that IFS is better in rocks or is stronger/as strong as SFA needs to get their head checked, and isn't even worth discussing the matter over. IFS is great at alot of things, like driving on the road, driving at high speeds. But it does not in any way, shape, or form, excel in strength, travel, or articulation. And in rocks and mud, those are the factors you are looking for, not high speed driving. Most trail riders would prefer SFA over IFS as well due to the higher strength allowing large tires, which is the only place (aside from portals) where you gain actual clearance.
How many IFS trucks or SUVs in the past few years have had Long Arms and long travel independent suspension? Not many.

you act like this is the same IfS system that’s on the Ford Escape. Its definitely not. And yes many Jeep circle jerk guys that will always till they die rock a wrangler. It’s a cult. The biggest auto cult in the world.

yes rock crawling it’s almost exclusively SFS and 90% are Jeeps. However go to a back woods trail or dune or beach or mud pit and it’s a melting pot of every type of truck and suv. And most are IFS because Jeep is the only non commercial vehicle that has a SFS built in the last 25 years.
Sponsored