Sponsored

Ford becomes "Official Vehicle" of King of the Hammers; does this mean Bronco will be there?

sardog12

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2016 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Now I get why there's so much bitching from the SFA guys
If you watch the main event, it is pretty much a toss-up at this point whether IFS or SFA is better since there seems to be more IFS rigs and they are pretty split as to what type wins more. But those IFS rigs are more specialized trucks with very custom setups. You don't tend to see as many in the EMC race. The truck race was fun to watch last year (their first time there) and they drag those trucks through some of the tough stuff. The drivers mentioned how much of a challenge it was for them outside of their normal racing conditions.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The interesting thing about KOH is it's one of the few events where IFS and SFA rigs both compete in the same classes and are on fairly equal footing. The IFS rigs are faster in the desert sections, and the SFA rigs can bash through the rocks faster, but both types do both parts.

The overall winners for the last few years have been IFS rigs, but obviously these are completely custom IFS rigs more like a SxS on steroids than a stock truck.

Last year's overall winner:
1580421570144.png
The desert racing honestly appeals to me more

If I wanna be slow, I'd be driving an econo car

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The desert racing honestly appeals to me more

If I wanna be slow, I'd be driving an econo car
I'm also definitely in the high speed camp, hence my preference for IFS. KOH is interesting to observe though, because it's one of the few places both disciplines come together.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was just on the ultra 4 racing channel on u-tube just last night because I knew KOH was coming up and had to get my fix before watching this years. LOL. In the battle for IFS vs. SFA bragging rights, the IFS won but once in the hardest sections, saved for the end of the race, and they are the rockiest, the SFA came within 6 minutes of beating the IFS time. If I have this correct, KOH is timed like a rally race. You can be in the lead but doesn't mean you are the fastest. why did the SFA catch up..... the IFS had to winch over the rocks and the SFA caught up, not needing to winch..

If you check out Eric Miller he has spent ALOT of R&D on making his SFA perform as well as it does at KOH.

I'm not trying to start a pissing contest and I'm not saying one is better than the other, but KOH proves each has its place. I'm still holding on to my dream that Ford will build two versions of the Bronco. Ones on the lower end of the price scale, with SFA, that are inexpensive to modify and abuse off road and not break the bank when you have to fix it, AND ones for the mall crawlers or "occasional" off-roader. that wants civility all day with IFS. I still believe this will happen just for the simple fact that Ford is dumping tons on their "off-road" image and nothing says "off-road" more than SFA. plus they have been building one since '07.

Bottom line I can't wait till KOH as it is truly a test of machine and man !!!! And yes most are correct when they say I will never do that with my truck but it sure is nice to know that your truck is capable of it. It just comes down to how deep your pockets are.

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They could be sending the Type R (to hopefully finish)

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm also definitely in the high speed camp, hence my preference for IFS. KOH is interesting to observe though, because it's one of the few places both disciplines come together.
If only I knew where to begin with all that, sounds like something I'd love to try out someday

PNWB2

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My guess is they will have the Bronco R there for people to look at. Maybe a rig running one of the Bronco's planned motors so they can claim it survived one of the most challenging off road races in the world. Either of those would be cool to see! Wouldn't be surprised if they just have a display for the Raptor and Ranger though (I wouldn't mind owning either one of those trucks)

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is how to sum up about 67 pages of debate:

the simple fact that Ford is dumping tons on their "off-road" image and nothing says "off-road" more than SFA.
There's that word again, image....

LOL!

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty unlikely that the Bronco will compete.

Stock Class 4600 requires 1000 units to have been built per model year.

Modified 4500 requires 250 units.

Legends 4800 requires solid axles front and rear.

Then there’s the unlimited class which is unlikely and then the UTV class.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty unlikely that the Bronco will compete.

Stock Class 4600 requires 1000 units to have been built per model year.

Modified 4500 requires 250 units.

Legends 4800 requires solid axles front and rear.

Then there’s the unlimited class which is unlikely and then the UTV class.
gladitor ran last year before it came out.

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
gladitor ran last year before it came out.
Hmm, was it registered in the unlimited or legends class? Just passing on what I gleaned from the rule book.

Last edited:

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmm, was it registered in the unlimited or legends class? Just passing on what I gleaned from the rule book.
I'm not sure, but its safe to say they can run without being in the competition. Being the major sponser, I'm betting they could do that quite easily.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure, but its safe to say they can run without being in the competition. Being the major sponser, I'm betting they could do that quite easily.
It has happened before in big events, some new class gets invented for someones pre-production unit to run.

Unless Ford has a big surprise up its sleeve, I don't see that happening though.

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The factory-sponsored Gladiator ran in the stock class since production was expected to be well above 1000 units/year. It finished, but I don't think it placed very well. Dave Cole allowed Jesse Haines to run a Roxor in the stock class as well last year. Also, you don't have to qualify to run in the Every Mac Challenge (stock and modified classes). Just pay your entry and equipment rental fees and pass tech, and you are good to go.

Ford sponsoring King of the Hammers is interesting, I have to imagine that there will be something Bronco related happening, because a Raptor and a Tremor aren't the kind of vehicles you would ever find on the Hammers trails.

The Bronco R would have to run in the Unlimited class if Ford were to enter it, and it wouldn't be anywhere near competitive. It would surely time out if it didn't break first. I am guessing Ford might have the Bronco R there on display, and maybe even run around a bit in the desert with it, but they would be foolish to try and compete.

I'll be there next week, so I guess I'll get to see in person what Ford has up their sleeve.

EDIT: It has been said before, but let me reiterate for all the newbies once again claiming that the fact that many people run IFS in King of the Hammers and have success lends legitimacy to the new Bronco's IFS; The IFS systems you see at King of the Hammers and on Trophy trucks have absolutely nothing in common with factory IFS systems. The are fundamentally different, and if would be a much more difficult task to put a similar IFS system in the new Bronco than it would be to put a solid axle in one.
But wouldn’t it be amazing if Ford pulled off some kind of new IFS that allowed competitive travel and strength! It’s 2020 y’all. Space Force Is a thing, bet my buddies in Colorado have given some good tech to ford... watch the top of the line model not even have wheels! :D

sardog12

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2016 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The factory-sponsored Gladiator ran in the stock class since production was expected to be well above 1000 units/year. It finished, but I don't think it placed very well. Dave Cole allowed Jesse Haines to run a Roxor in the stock class as well last year. Also, you don't have to qualify to run in the Every Mac Challenge (stock and modified classes). Just pay your entry and equipment rental fees and pass tech, and you are good to go.
The amazing part of the Gladiator's run last year was that it did finish despite Robby Gordon burning the lockers out running them during the desert portion and the rest of the team running something that large through the rock lap with open diffs and finishing the course. Considering the number of vehicles that don't complete the race, that is quite an accomplishment. I didn't know that you didn't have to qualify for that race, though. Good to know. The qualifying laps must only be for starting position.

Ford sponsoring King of the Hammers is interesting, I have to imagine that there will be something Bronco related happening, because a Raptor and a Tremor aren't the kind of vehicles you would ever find on the Hammers trails.

The Bronco R would have to run in the Unlimited class if Ford were to enter it, and it wouldn't be anywhere near competitive. It would surely time out if it didn't break first. I am guessing Ford might have the Bronco R there on display, and maybe even run around a bit in the desert with it, but they would be foolish to try and compete.
Don't get me wrong, I am a Jeep guy and really don't think that I would get a Bronco but that doesn't mean that I don't want want them to come out with a stout product and succeed. IMO, it would be awesome to see them in one of the events but I doubt that you are going to see them in the EMC or main race. I expect you'll see the Bronco R in the race for the Baja trucks but who knows. It will be interesting to watch if they do race in one of the others.

I'll be there next week, so I guess I'll get to see in person what Ford has up their sleeve.

EDIT: It has been said before, but let me reiterate for all the newbies once again claiming that the fact that many people run IFS in King of the Hammers and have success lends legitimacy to the new Bronco's IFS; The IFS systems you see at King of the Hammers and on Trophy trucks have absolutely nothing in common with factory IFS systems. The are fundamentally different, and if would be a much more difficult task to put a similar IFS system in the new Bronco than it would be to put a solid axle in one.
I'm jealous of your being out there and will make it myself one year.
Sponsored