Sponsored

Ford becomes "Official Vehicle" of King of the Hammers; does this mean Bronco will be there?

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have you guys followed that Steel City Racing 4runner? It ran a marlin crawler concept ifs front last year that broke almost immediately. I'm real curious how it survives with the improvements.
Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Have you guys followed that Steel City Racing 4runner? It ran a marlin crawler concept ifs front last year that broke almost immediately. I'm real curious how it survives with the improvements.
I'm happy to hear that they will be taking another shot and KOH this year.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
KOH is nothing I'd ever use as any sort of barometer in my vehicle choice.

I'd put it at around zero factory vehicles that can compete there, even highly modified rigs get destroyed.

Pointless as a measuring stick.

I mean...It's AWESOME. But roughly 927% of buyers won't use a Bronco in this manner.
One did, with wheels, tires and a skid plate as the only mods: https://www.utvsportsmag.com/press-release/maverick-sport-conquers-koh/

That's exactly what I have. except mine has insurance and registration.

The only reason it completed it is it's 64" wide weighs 1600lbs. It cannot climb my jeep's tire, whereas my jeep can climb its tire.. but it can squeeze and get around most obstacles :)

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
But wouldnā€™t it be amazing if Ford pulled off some kind of new IFS that allowed competitive travel and strength! Itā€™s 2020 yā€™all. Space Force Is a thing, bet my buddies in Colorado have given some good tech to ford... watch the top of the line model not even have wheels! :D
To make an IFS travel you have to lengthen the arms... inwards or outwards. inwards you're not gonna do that very well in a 5000 lb vehicle because that diff needs to be fairly beefy - and not the size of a grapefruit like the UTV ones are.

Outwards it makes the vehicle too large to be maneuverable enough around the rocks/obstacles... We all know the Raptor isn't exactly a rock crawler.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

These IFS vehicles are a great comparison! I had no idea the Bronco was going to be a mid engine, 2500lb vehicle with 20+ inches of front wheel travel!!
I also didnā€™t know the trend switched to wanting a vehicle as wide as a trophy truck now! I am Fully onboard especially if it looks like the RC car concept!

Sponsored

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just watched a YouTube vid from LLOD. Video started w/ some SHOT show stuff and then he started talking about being out in Johnson Valley while they were testing the Bronco. He supposedly got asked to sign a NDA if he wanted to see it... so that means Fordā€™s gotta be getting ready for something out there.

Guess itā€™s time to go set up camp...

Last edited:

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just watched a YouTube vid from LLOD. Video started w/ some SHOT show stuff and then he started talking about being out in Johnson Valley while they were testing the Bronco. He supposedly got asked to sign a NDA if he wanted it... so that means itā€™s gotta be getting ready for something out there.

Guess itā€™s time to go set up camp...
They might have just been filming this video.

Roughly lines up (January 10th) with what he said in the video "a few weeks ago" although a few weeks ago would be about January 15th.. But I hope they were testing more for the KOH too. I mean Ford must have filmed that footage BEFORE January 10th before they posted it, so maybe LLOD really was there when Ford was training for something else...

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They might have just been filming this video.

Roughly lines up (January 10th) with what he said in the video "a few weeks ago" although a few weeks ago would be about January 15th.. But I hope they were testing more for the KOH too. I mean Ford must have filmed that footage BEFORE January 10th before they posted it, so maybe LLOD really was there when Ford was training for something else...
I figured it was for that video (and they could have been out there for weeks), but the non-disclosure threw me off. That mule is no secret, we all know it front-back.... unless it was a look at its powertrain?

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I figured it was for that video ... unless it was a look at its powertrain?
Heard more likely than saw. Or they were concerned he might have caught it in the background of his own video and they wanted to prevent him letting the cat out of the bag before they were done with their own video.

The simplest answer is the most likely. Not some elaborate conspiracy.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, two days ago when the topic of this thread was announced, Mike Levine posted about it too ... but right between two posts about Ford sponsoring KOH and ULTRA4 he posted this ...

The new tricked out Troller TX4 ... built on the same platform as Ranger, Everest and Bronco. A rugged little two door solid axle SUV off roader.

Such a troll.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hint Hint !!!! :wink::wink: Keep viewing folks we are gonna be in for a WILD RIDE come in the next few months !!!!!

DustyD

Base
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didnā€™t know the Troller had solid axles, thatā€™s cool.

I remember hearing that they were basing some of the Bronco design off it- not to say that specific trait carried over (darn).

It always seemed like a cool vehicle to me.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dana 44's ā€¦.. I do believe. front and rear

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like good temps for the UTV race today, but I'm sure the view would be better with a bit more wind to clear the dust.

Going to be cold at night when spectators want to hurl dildos at people failing Back Door.