Rick Astley

Black Diamond
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'51 Chevy Fleetline, '61 Ford Thunderbird
VIN wont' get created until commodities are available. Each week of scheduling they'll look at the orders and assign vin numbers. If they get to yours and you have manual trans, but they don't have any left they'll skip it and go on. Next week they might have them and you'll get a VIN, or they may be out again and skip you another week (or months, it's always possible they could do scheduling differently than other lines). Once you have a VIN it means they expect the commodities to be available to build. Sometimes they'll have an issue that things get behind (supplier issue, etc) where a scheduled unit can't be built in order due to commodities, and then it just keeps getting new build dates further back. This isn't common however.

As to commodities, I suspect the oddity units will be the ones that get built earlier than they should be, not the fancy ones. I could be wrong, and Ford could be planning for all high end making it the opposite, but I think there will be Big Bend's and base model allocation that will jump ahead. We just got an extra Bronco Sport that had to be a Big Bend (without moonroof) or a Base as all other commodities had been exhausted.
Interesting. Having gone through this whole process for Ranger (Lariat, super cab), we had the VIN created but were mothballed almost 6 months while Ford suppliers went through re-design for the $95 external keypad which was on the build sheet (which now has a TSB on the new part).

Although for Ranger, they were drastically behind schedule on Super-Cabs as they were only about ~5% of reservations which also pushed us back a few weeks before VIN.

Lesson learned: for a reservation vehicle, everything you can order from the dealership to lighten your add-ons and accessories from the factory, do it.

Advertisement

Last edited:

Kris87

Wildtrak
First Name
K
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f-150
I skimmed over the initial post and thought I'd throw in the lay terms of the allocation since only some of the story is being told. 50% of allocation will come from number of reservations at each dealer. So if a dealer has 200 reservations and they convert all 200 into orders(hypothetically) they would earn 100 units for sure(no timetable on delivery given yet). The other 50% is going to be 25% from their national share(where they rank nationally in sales....benefit to the big dealers like normal) and the other 25% coming from Wrangler and 4runner registrations(benefit to a metro dealer with bigger population or anyone with a heavy Jeep concentration.)

Hope this clears up where the other 50% is going to come from.

Used2jeep

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Clubs

All should be built at the same time, they'll just have a production limit, they can make X Badlands per day, Y Outer Banks, Z Base, etc. Say Goodyear can only supply X tires per day for Sasquatch, that will be the limit of how many they can make, sounds stupid, but tires used to be one of the most common commodities we fight on F-150.
And might, Sasquatch not included, be one of the reasons why Ford has decided on so many "standard" tire sizes.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge ST
I'm glad ford with penalize dealers that don't deliver customers bronco. That means if a dealer tries to screw over a reservation holder by trying to up sell or adjust the price. A customer can literally just wait out the dealer until they do right. Because technically they can't sell it. In theory that is.
I think we need clarification on this point. I took that to mean you can't give your reservation to someone else. If you decide not to buy, I believe the dealer than can do whatever they want, since it becomes their vehicle at that point.

glutton

Badlands
First Name
wade
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
So i'm dealing with a very small dealership in a small town in N.C.. I guees I'll be waiting for a long time. Doesn't seem quite right but what can i say

Granger Ford

Badlands
First Name
Albert
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

I think we need clarification on this point. I took that to mean you can't give your reservation to someone else. If you decide not to buy, I believe the dealer than can do whatever they want, since it becomes their vehicle at that point.
We can sell it from stock if the original buyer does not complete it but with severe penalties...

NeoS281

Wildtrak
First Name
Jared
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Saleen S281
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

So i'm dealing with a very small dealership in a small town in N.C.. I guees I'll be waiting for a long time. Doesn't seem quite right but what can i say
I thought orders are still being prioritized in the order reserved. Is that not the case?

Granger Ford

Badlands
First Name
Albert
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Not necessarily so do not panic...it is all good...

The big box dealers raised a bit of a stink and this makes them somewhat happy...

tritonx100

Outer Banks
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford explore
So how does this allocation link back to reservation number? I thought ford committed to honor the reservation number and not just for orders to large buying? I mean if this is the case i should change to granger? How far from the twin cities?

Advertisement

Advertisement